• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What's the hotness for a 6.5CM precision rifle currently?

zimm17

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2012
Florida
I've been overseas for a few years so I'm out of the current knowledge game on the state of the industry. The last time I was neck deep in this stuff, I bought an AAC SDN-6 (remember those?) and a boat load of 51T breaks and flash hiders for all the rifles. It works fine on the short carbines and SBR, but on my Howa 1500 6.5CM I have a lot of slop in the lock up. I'm thinking I should get a precision direct thread suppressor for it. Probably get a .30 just so I can build an AR10 someday and use it on that.

My research is showing the TBAC Ultra 9 is highly recommended. Then I don't know if I want to wade into a whole other family of muzzle brakes, or go direct thread, or use a different model?

I just want to lower the noise and blast at the range on a bench.

Also- follow up question- I have 6 months left on being stationed overseas. Can I buy my suppressor online and have it shipped to my parents if it gets out of "jail" before I get there? (we're all on the same trust).

If your parents are in the trust (or just one of em) and submit finger prints with yours they can take possession of it. Otherwise the dealer can hold onto it for the interim until you pick it up.

For general purpose Ultra 7 or Dominus IMO. At some point after my bank account recovers from an impending kitchen remodel I will likely turn my Omega into a dedicated 300 BLK can and get a Dominus for my precision/hunting rifles.

I've been overseas for a few years so I'm out of the current knowledge game on the state of the industry. The last time I was neck deep in this stuff, I bought an AAC SDN-6 (remember those?) and a boat load of 51T breaks and flash hiders for all the rifles. It works fine on the short carbines and SBR, but on my Howa 1500 6.5CM I have a lot of slop in the lock up. I'm thinking I should get a precision direct thread suppressor for it. Probably get a .30 just so I can build an AR10 someday and use it on that.

My research is showing the TBAC Ultra 9 is highly recommended. Then I don't know if I want to wade into a whole other family of muzzle brakes, or go direct thread, or use a different model?

I just want to lower the noise and blast at the range on a bench.

Also- follow up question- I have 6 months left on being stationed overseas. Can I buy my suppressor online and have it shipped to my parents if it gets out of "jail" before I get there? (we're all on the same trust).
Take a look at the new Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S 6.5mm suppressor. I think Charlies has them on sale or a really good price right now. It's insanely quiet on my .260 Rem.

I'd say 2 top dogs. First is OSS. If your not worried about NV flash it's what I would suggest. It is the one that I always go back to. The quietest to my ears. Especially 300 blk without ear pro. No back pressure issues, which is a huge problem with ar10 platforms. We went 762Ti. Will probably get the newer flow can. Can't stress how impressed I was with those cans. One of those things that as soon as you use it, you know it's the future.

Then quite a distant second Is anything omega/keymo. Vox, Nomad, sandman. It's an awesome mount. Third party mounts like Solgw nox, 1 handed are really cool with tucked cans like mcx SD rail. Nomad is about as quiet as you can make 223. And it's dead air. You could blow it to pieces and they'd probably replace it. Downside to both of them are they are expensive. But none of this is cheap after the tax stamp andd wait and Sometimes being cheap is more expensive in the long run.

I can't believe anyone else has not brought up the problem with this statement: "but on my Howa 1500 6.5CM I have a lot of slop in the lock up." You might want to look into the problem causing this.

Reactions: 308pirate
I can't believe anyone else has not brought up the problem with this statement: "but on my Howa 1500 6.5CM I have a lot of slop in the lock up." You might want to look into the problem causing this.

Anyone that's been around the 51t AAC knows what he is talking about. The supressor to mount is causing it, not barrel to mount.

For me, I like the TBAC Ultra 5 and 7 in 6.5, Energetic Lux 6.5 and the Otter Creek Hydrogen K and S 6.5. If you like the TBAC Ultras but don't want the proprietary mounts, we sell the direct thread adapters.
I found this funny in a good-natured way because a CB brake is literally the same as a direct thread adapter when viewed in this context.

That said, if you want something more "adaptery" we now have the HUB versions of the U5 and U7. The rear is a little larger.

We will have DLC coated all-Ti DT/HUB adapters available soon.

Thank you for those two CB/Sig Taper adapters, by the way!

I will find out what the hotness is this fall. I have an ultra 7, ultra 9, and a magnus coming.

Reactions: TBACRAY
There is a reason ECCO offers this service. When I dropped my 2 off he had a bin full of them getting done.

51t is ass.

Attachments

• CE5EDD6E-DC09-46C2-9880-22C26999BC21.jpeg
    CE5EDD6E-DC09-46C2-9880-22C26999BC21.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 65
  • CF2DA171-F8A0-46A2-8E18-22BBD7B2CF91.jpeg
    CF2DA171-F8A0-46A2-8E18-22BBD7B2CF91.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 70
  • E773EBAE-B2A8-4FCF-A14E-590A01ED56BA.jpeg
    E773EBAE-B2A8-4FCF-A14E-590A01ED56BA.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: zimm17 and FuhQ
If your long-term intension is to run this same can on a large-frame AR, you'll want something that is reasonably balanced in terms of back pressure/flow restriction (too little or too much not being a good thing on that platform with .308-type cartridges). You'll also want something that offers a bit of durability. I'd go with one of the following:

TBAC Dominus
Dead Air Nomad
CGS Helios QD

All can be had with HUB mounting system, which provides several great mounting options and avoids the sort of obsolescence you've encountered with the ACC 51T system. The SR system available on the Dominus is excellent and is the only proprietary mount in which I've invested. All three cans will work adequately on anything from .223/5.56 to .30-cal magnums, which means they'll get used for years to come. All three are compact enough that I'd take them hunting or attempt to run them in training or competition, which keeps them from becoming bench queens.

There are at least a half-dozen other choices that also wouldn't totally suck, and if you're narrowing things down to just the 6.5 CM bolt gun, that list gets even longer. (The cans on that list literally get longer, too!)

Not a bad time to be in the market.

Oh wow, the Ecco machine option might be the way to go. I don't really need to buy another .30 suppressor if my existing one can be "fixed".

What is the best muzzle break/mount system to use then?

Do I want these brakes or flash hiders? I like the hiders because clocking the breaks is a pain. But the 6.5 could probably use a break to reduce recoil. Not an issue on 5.56.

And then one of the these gets screwed into the rear end of the converted SDN-6?

Last edited:
Reactions: NFAJohn
Oh boy, did I open a can of worms if I head into the world of Omega threaded suppressor. I had no idea there was so much. Seems like ASR was the original and now there's many more. Dead Air Key-Mo, Plan B "Q", etc. I'm reading up on them. I'll check the Reardon too. Light, simple, affordable, and not likely to be obsolete in a few years are my key factors.

Oh wow, the Ecco machine option might be the way to go. I don't really need to buy another .30 suppressor if my existing one can be "fixed".

What is the best muzzle break/mount system to use then?

Do I want these brakes or flash hiders? I like the hiders because clocking the breaks is a pain. But the 6.5 could probably use a break to reduce recoil. Not an issue on 5.56.

And then one of the these gets screwed into the rear end of the converted SDN-6?
So @smacha538 and I both had our cans converted over to use the Q cherry Bomb. I havnt used mine on a precision gun, but I have beat the piss out of it on a 10.5” M16 and zero complaints.

I know @smacha538 had a rifle go from 1”+ to sub 1/2 getting the can away from 51T

Honestly had I known about them earlier I doubt I’d own my thunderbeast 338 can, but it does sound insane on a 20” 6.5PRC

Last edited:
Oh boy, did I open a can of worms if I head into the world of Omega threaded suppressor. I had no idea there was so much. Seems like ASR was the original and now there's many more. Dead Air Key-Mo, Plan B "Q", etc. I'm reading up on them. I'll check the Reardon too. Light, simple, affordable, and not likely to be obsolete in a few years are my key factors.
Steer-clear of anything Q… Their cans suck, and their mounts are notorious for carbon-locking.

Steer-clear of anything Q… Their cans suck, and their mounts are notorious for carbon-locking.
Man my limited experience has been good with the Cherry Bomb brakes, guess I can always chunk em and go to another mounting option, but been good so far.

I'd steer clear of SiCo. I'm a fan of Thunderbeast.

I'm using the Rearden on one of my cans and it's been flawless so far.

Rearden is the way to go with Plan B pattern mounts.

The Q stuff is not great. The Rearden stuff is great, and there's an excellent selection of muzzle devices in the Plan B pattern to cover different intended uses.

I'm using the Rearden mounts and they have been excellent. Excellent quality.

I had my SDN-6 converted at ECCO and it’s been great, started with a plan B mount and cherry bombs, but they got full of carbon really fast and would scrape carbon while removing after they had been undcrewed. Switched to Area 419 hellfire mounts and am extremely happy that I did. Now I can use suppressor or 4 port match brake, and the mount adapters are relatively cheap for all of my guns.

Reactions: NFAJohn