• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats the next step up from a Harris 6-9 bipod?

One_Man

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
Selma, Texas
Even with the bipod loaded and me getting straight behind the rifle, I am experiencing bipod hop. I shoot my rifle left handed and after firing the gun settles off to the right of the target. I am just getting into shooting steel at distance. My first day out I made 20 out of 20 hits on a 12"x12" plate at 550y with my .308 shooting 185gr Bergers @ 2625 fps. I did not get a chance to see any of my hits though. An experienced F-class shooter helping me dope the wind said that this was happening due to torque. He told me to try a hard hold (ie use my right hand to hold the stock under the action. Same thing happens. My barrel is 24" 1:10" twist with a muzzle brake. I'm thinking I need a different bipod.

Re: Whats the next step up from a Harris 6-9 bipod?

I would recommend signing up for snipers hide online training videos. It will make it a lot easier for you to see and understand a few things to improve your skill and knowledge base.I know it has helped me to become a better shooter.

Although if you are going to get rid of the harris a atlas bipod may be the way to go. Were you shooting from a bench or prone? Do you use a rear bag?

You can check out some of lowlights sample videos on here to let you see some of the great information and knowledge you will gain.

The issue isn't the bipod as much as it's the position your are shooting from. Prone is the way to go, straight behind the rifle. You can also pull the sling tight from teh front position and hold it under your elbow to force the bipod and rifle down into a natural point of aim and support. If you can't get a good position behind the bipod, use a bag, like a flat pack.
Make sure you check all your Marksmanship Basics like natural point of aim, position, trigger squeeze, breathing and all that.
Check the TRAINING forum, and also look hard at the online training

I use Harris bipods on all my bolt rifles. The only time I notice any hop in the rifle is when I do not get into the proper shooting position. Natural Point of aim, and hold your rifle with a firm handshake grip. I would work on fundamentals before I started spending money on stuff you don't need. Harris is one of the best bipods in my opinion, and are used by almost all operators in the field (Military or LEO). JAA

<span style="font-weight: bold">Torque</span>... I like that... what happens when the right handed guys <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Torque</span></span> left ?

Especially with a muzzle brake if your rifle is moving, it's all you... it's a body position issue and not due to torque, bullet spin, or any other internal effects on the rifle.

It's an <span style="font-style: italic">if - then</span> proposition,

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sqFH0A7Py1Q&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sqFH0A7Py1Q&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

See if you can see the rifle <span style="font-weight: bold">"Torquing"</span> during any of these shots ?

Ah yes, the slippery slope propaganda of excuse shooting
grin.gif

Marksmanship Basics FIRST
After that, Practice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Torque</span>... I like that... what happens when the right handed guys <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Torque</span></span> left ?

Especially with a muzzle brake if your rifle is moving, it's all you... it's a body position issue and not due to torque, bullet spin, or any other internal effects on the rifle.

It's an <span style="font-style: italic">if - then</span> proposition, </div></div>

Yes torque, as in a bullet traveling down the barrel imparts torque against the rifling. That is why certain stocks are wider on one side of the fore end, but I'm sure you already knew that.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/DogTracker_Stock.html

The bipod shown in the video is swivel so any torque effect is dissipated. Also, I was shooting from a bench with a sandbag under the rear. Oh, and at 1:32, yea the muzzle moves about 3/4" to the left.

Watch my rifle jump and twist all over the place (Harris on gravel, 308):

0:19ish & 0:43ish (counting clicks and finding targets in the dark is slow......)
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mHmaAJuEYdI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mHmaAJuEYdI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Not as instructive as LL's vids, but I think its a nice shot of how much you rifle should be moving.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

See if you can see the rifle <span style="font-weight: bold">"Torquing"</span> during any of these shots ? </div></div>

Watch this - pick blades of grass nearest the muzzle and watch to see how the muzzle moves relative to that blade that you have picked, then watch how little forward pressure he has on the bipod while on a slick deck and how the feet of the bi pod move directly back into his shoulder.

Thank you for the vid Frank

Good luck

Thinking out loud - chalk on the feet of the bipod would show the margin of error and allow me to track progress....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Torque</span>... I like that... what happens when the right handed guys <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Torque</span></span> left ?

It's an <span style="font-style: italic">if - then</span> proposition, </div></div>

Yes torque, as in a bullet traveling down the barrel imparts torque against the rifling. That is why certain stocks are wider on one side of the fore end, but I'm sure you already knew that.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/DogTracker_Stock.html

The bipod shown in the video is swivel so any torque effect is dissipated. Also, I was shooting from a bench with a sandbag under the rear. Oh, and at 1:32, yea the muzzle moves about 3/4" to the left.</div></div>

What did you ask for then you obviously have the answers...

must be a left hand twist then where you see the 3/4 of inch to the left, and what was that, 1 shot out of 10 it moved that far to the side ?

LL - You're right and I know it. I have a feeling that my right shoulder (remember I am a lefty) is not staying square.

He needs a new bipod but not really a bipod, a tripod is what is needed.
M2.jpg

Just make sure to lock the T&E mech.
cool.gif

To answer the OP, the next step up would be an Atlas V8