• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What's the point of Counter Clockwise Knobs?

zeke013

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Search doesn't reveal much.

Sorry for the noob question.

Not many scopes offer it - but several do.

Any reason people go with it?

Lefties?

Re: What's the point of Counter Clockwise Knobs?

Clockwise rotation of the elevation knob is more of a European standard and counterclockwise is more of an American standard.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2466988

https://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1111028

Me, I learned shooting with counterclockwise rotating elevation knobs so I've stuck to it and all my scopes are CCW. There's less chance of turning the knobs the wrong way in a match since that's the way I've always done it.

Ahhh - excellent.

Thanks - I hadn't search far enough back.

It might have something to do with iron sights. Service rifle sights have typically had CW adjustments, which result from using a standard right hand thread with their respective designs.

To get CW adjustments in a typical rifle scope, you would need to use a reverse (left hand) thread.

A lot of the old military scopes have CW adjustments. I think this was due to the design of some of these early scopes, which differed from the typical modern design. My guess for why CW adjustments are offered on modern scopes is that they wanted to keep things consistent with the older scopes and iron sights.

CW vs CCW = personal preference, nothing more. Don't try to read too much into it.

here's my take on it and why mine are all CCW, when your unscrewing a jar (CCW) its going up correct? same with the POI on the scope, sounds fucked up but it works for me