• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What's the point? Rant...Your thoughts?

hypno02

Not Politically Correct
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2006
South Dakota
Being a guy who much prefers moa/moa scopes to those of the mil/mil flavor, I'd like to know why on earth would any scope maker decide to make a moa/moa long range scope with 12 minutes per rev?

Of course, a prime example of this is the vortex viper pst. Now, I'm not trying to bash vortex, I'm just questioning their judgement and logic behind this decision.

Here's my opinion:

10, 20, 30, single turn. These numbers are the only acceptable numbers referring to minutes per revoloution in a long range scope that adjusts in moa (or iphy). Why? same reason the only acceptable numbers for a mil adjusted scope are 5,10, (20) single turn...

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">MATH</span></span>

I feel as if a pretty good percentage of this community has either learned to shoot with, or let alone shot with a leupold mk4 with M1 turrets. We all know that once you get past that 15 minute mark, you must take a second to ask yourself, "Ok, what plus 15 will get me to 24.75 minutes." In this situation, 15 minutes per revoloution is not a number we'd like to work with, yet it's better than 12, being it's a multiple of five.

Still, I don't feel as if a 15moa turret is acceptable, although it may get the job done. In the realm of long range shooting, the more simple the better, because adjustments must be made quickly and with precision.

Nightforce figured it out, both with their high speed and normal turrets. Every mil/mil scope manufacturer out there has it figured out...including vortex. (5 mil/rev)

Now, what's the logic behind this? 5 mils=18 minutes. 12 minutes = 12 minutes.

Why can't they at least go to 15? No offense, but 12 just makes ZERO sense to me.

What are your thoughts?

Re: What's the point? Rant...Your thoughts?

5 mils per turn equals 50 0.1 mil clicks. 12 minutes per turn equals 48 1/4" clicks. See why it is 12 now???

I do realize that, and forgot to mention it. Is it too much work for a company to change their process in order to improve what can be argued the most important component of a long range riflescope?

Companies like vortex are great companies. They're very aware of our wants and needs from constantly being in touch with the shooting community. I was very disappointed when I found out these were 12min/rev.

Of the knobs USO shows on their website, only the EREK provides an easily used number of MOA/mil per turn. That would be 45 MOA if you get it in 1/2 MOA, or 9 mil if you go mrad. I know they have some knobs not listed on the website, such as a 110 click EREK, but none of them are really optimal.

That's my biggest complaint with them. I think they should do both 80 click/rev and 100 click/rev options like NF is now doing with their high speed turrets. It just makes the most sense.

Burris makes 'em with 17MOA/turn. Cheaper than cutting a new thread pattern...

S&B dual turn knobs have 30 MOA per turn in 1/4 MOA.
sbmoaturret2CROPbig.jpg

So basically measuring hasn't changed and if you don't want to use the metric system your math with be complicated. I learned that in grade school.
12MOA is pretty close to a foot @ 100yds, when drop is measured in inches this seems like pretty simple math to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So basically measuring hasn't changed and if you don't want to use the metric system your math with be complicated. I learned that in grade school.
12MOA is pretty close to a foot @ 100yds, when drop is measured in inches this seems like pretty simple math to me. </div></div>

No complicated math. An inch is an inch, a foot is a foot, a MOA is a MOA, a meter is a meter, and a mil is a mil. Mils and MOA have nothing to do with linear forms of measure (imperial or metric).

To be completely honest with you, I don't care for the higher amount per turn turrets... Not that I don't like them, but just don't care for them... I'm turning the knob the same amount of clicks anyways, so who cares?! If anything it's nice not to have a UFO size thing on the top of your scope. I understand your train of thought I suppose but I guess I don't have that problem because I just figure out what my adjustment is, decide it by the amount per revolution and them turn it that many times and add the left over. I guess Math has always been my strong subject, so it might happen more smoothly and instant than for others.

The purpose of a higher amount per turn is to (ideally) get a rifle to its max effective range in one turn so its harder for the shooter to get an entire revolution under stress.

I like it like that (as someone who has been a rev off once or twice prior to getting set up in a more idiot-proof manner).

BTW-it'd be cool to see the Vette at an AZ LRPRS match...

I drove it to azprc but haven't been to an azlrprs match yet. Honestly, I want to keep working on my form and practice alternate positions before doing another match.... I do just fine if I'm not timed, but getting timed and rushing makes my fundamentals fall apart, which really means 1 thing... More practice needed for them to become burned in. Still got a long way to go till I'm ready to be competitive at a tactical match!

best way to be ready to shoot matches is to shoot matches! Our monthly matches ain't no big thang, and you'll learn far more than working on what you think you need alone.
C'mon out!