• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats the story on Tikka T3 lite rifle in 308

SmokeRolls

Nobody important
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
I have never delt with this rifle but I know of one available.
Hows the quality compare to a Rem 700?
Can you replace or work on the trigger to improve it's feal?
How are their barrels?
Are they accurate?
Whats their value in good shape?

Any insight would be appreciated.
....SmokeRolls

Re: Whats the story on Tikka T3 lite rifle in 308

The Tikka T3 was designed and manufactured as an inexpensive lightweight hunting rifle. The Varmint and Tactical versions come with heavy barrels and are more suited to repeated shots.

Although designed to be easy and inexpensive to manufacture, the Tikka receiver, unlike the Remington, is very true from the factory. Every one. I've been told this by multiple gunsmiths and I have two actions at Underground Skunkworks right now. Mike Bush told me basically the very same thing, that they would take minimal work to true.

Barrel quality has been hit or miss for me. My 300WM barrel was terrible. Fouled itself to death. My .270 barrel was great. (IT will soon be a .260
wink.gif
).

The recoil lug design on the Tikkas is awful. The .308 *might* be OK, but I've had R700 type lugs put on my rifles to get them to group.

The OEM stock makes great landfill. At some point plan on buying a real stock from one of the usual suspects: Manners, McMillian, Massoud here on the Hide is building a folder chassis.

The aftermarket for these rifles is growing quickly as they gain popularity. CDI makes a SA DBM with LA coming next month.

The triggers are excellent from the factory. Mike is doing the work on mine to crispen up the break just a bit and remove overtravel, but other than that an excellent trigger that is factory adjustable from 4-2 lbs.

Some of these rifles are insane accurate from the factory. My .270 would put three shots under a quarter every time (then the barrel would start to heat...) My 300WM took a bit of work to get to shoot, but will now shoot in the .2's and well under 1 moa for as long as I can see.

I would take a Tikka over a Remington any day. Lighter, stiffer, truer, stronger, smoother 75 deg. bolt lift. I can't think of anything that Remington does as well or better than Tikka, except get accepted by the Military which created a huge aftermarket...

John

Overall I think they are a good rifle, on par with the 700.

That said, I had one in 22-250 SS varmint and sold it.

The good:

Accurate (in the .2s for mine)
Super smooth action after break-in
Shorter bolt lift
Better factory trigger than 700 (user adjustable 2-4lb)
Small ejection port keeps more debris out
Recoil lug designed into the action for scope mounts

The bad:

The bolt shroud is flimsy plastic, (mine cracked in half after a year)
Spare mags are expensive as hell for a moulded piece of plastic, but they function well.
Long action for a short action cartridge
Smaller ejection port makes it harder to single feed
Limited availability of parts aftermarket and OEM (but getting better)
Aluminum free floating recoil lug
Warped forearm touching barrel on many that I have seen
Metric barrel threads

Overall I would buy another if the price was right. they seem to keep value about as good as a 700, and have a pretty strong following.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The recoil lug design on the Tikkas is awful. The .308 *might* be OK, but I've had R700 type lugs put on my rifles to get them to group.

The OEM stock makes great landfill. At some point plan on buying a real stock from one of the usual suspects: Manners, McMillian, Massoud here on the Hide is building a folder chassis.
</div></div>

I've notice this poorly designed lug on my .300 wsm T3. I really would like to get that sturdied up and would like to learn more on the process it takes to have R700 lugs installed. Do you have to re-barrel for this?

To the OP, I have the rifle I just mentioned along with a T3 .223 Stainless Varmint in heavy barrel. I really like the varmint as it shoots 69 SMKs great. I really think the heavier recoiling guns should have a different recoil lug (really a floating block) to withstand the recoil on such a lightweight gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

I've notice this poorly designed lug on my .300 wsm T3. I really would like to get that sturdied up and would like to learn more on the process it takes to have R700 lugs installed. Do you have to re-barrel for this?

To the OP, I have the rifle I just mentioned along with a T3 .223 Stainless Varmint in heavy barrel. I really like the varmint as it shoots 69 SMKs great. I really think the heavier recoiling guns should have a different recoil lug (really a floating block) to withstand the recoil on such a lightweight gun. </div></div>

It would probably require a rebarrel. My smith told me that Tikka torques the &#*^%$ out of these barrels and they are typically ruined taking them off. In addition, the chamber area is very short on these rifles to save weight. Probably cant be set back.

Another solution is that Manners and McMillian now offer a SS lug bedded into their stocks.

If it was me, with a 300WSM, I'd go R700 lug when the barrel was shot out... or just spring now. What's an extra $650?
wink.gif

BTW, I think Mike Bush is going to be offering custom R700-style precision ground Tikka lugs that actually fit the Tikka barrel shank and conform to the octagonal shape of the T3 receiver. The R700 lug is larger than the Tikka shank and requires a step to be machined on the barrel as well as having a little less bearing area.

I have two actions there for this now, and I'm pretty sure he wants to expand into the Tikka market.

John

Thanks for the insight. If anyone else has any more info or opinion, lets hear it.
....SmokeRolls

Had one, whish I still did. It was sacrificed for something else. They make one called the super varmint and you can get it in .260rem that would be nice.

That recoil lug setup does nothing to negatively affect accuracy whatsoever. The triggers can be user adjusted and I have had some down to a nice crisp 2 lbs with Zero creep. Tikka bbls are almost always super accurate. Every Tikka I have owned was at least a 3/4 moa shooter and most 1/2 moa. You Won't find a sliocker action and the actions don't need trueing. Resale is also VG on Tikkas.

^^ I'm curious as to what calibers you owned in a Tikka?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That recoil lug setup does nothing to negatively affect accuracy whatsoever. </div></div>

These sort of statements will lose you credibility real fast. Three people in this thread alone have stated that the recoil lug is an issue. When you show up and make definitive statements like the above, you better be able to show some substantive collaborating evidence. I don't need that though, because I tell already that you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm willing to bet your rifles weren't 300WM, 300WSM or 338WM.

Just because you owned a couple Tikkas that shot well does NOT mean that there are not other rifles that have issues. Basic logic skills are lacking.

John

I have a T3 in 6.5x55. Absolutely love it. Put my model sevens back in the safe. Lite, slick bolt, adjustable trigger, and mine will put the first three in a dime. This is with multiple loads and bullets from 100g to 140. Not crazy avout the recoil lug system. For a hunting rifle it should be fine, but for a range rifle I can't see it holding up. If I were to do one for range work, I would twist off the barrel and use a 700 type lug. That small port that some guys complain about makes the action more rigid. You can also buy a metal rear bolt shroud.

i have a tikka t3 SS lite in .308. it is my go to deer rifle. it is very little weight 7lbs with scope. action is smooth as glass. I not going to say it shoots 1/4 moa but it shoot deer moa out too 200yards(thats the furthest i hunt). the trigger is good set mine at 3lbs and has no creep. makes a nice hunting rig for under $1000.

That's the thing you gotta love about internet, the opinions, and those that get shared.
For every 1 Rem that someone complains about, there are a 1000 that you NEVER hear about because that person is more than happy. Sure, people on the "hide" come on here to complain AND rave about thier rifle, but ouside of that, when you are on a forum, people come there because they have a PROBLEM and looking for answers.
That, is a SMALL % of those that actually own one.

When I was looking for a rifle last year, I came onto the Hide looking for some opinions, just like you are now. I was basically torn between teh T3, and teh Rem 700. Price was about teh same, so what I ended up being sold on is this:
If you want to modify your rifle, there is everything that you can possibly name, made for teh 700. The 700 is basically like the 55-57 Chevy or 67-69 Camaro. EVERYONE makes something for it.
The T3? Not so much.

I still almost went with teh T3, because I DID want to be "different". But, I decided to go with the 700, and I am glad I did.
This thing is a freakn tack driving SOB!! I have yet to touch the rifle, in any way shape or form (other than put a scope on it) and it will group 1/2" all day long. I jsut went this past weekend, and was quite a bit windy out, had some strong cross winds, so my groups weren't as tight as they normally are, but I still consider 3/4" pretty damn tight
wink.gif

And my rifle pretty much will eat up any ammo you put down her gullet. 180 Win Power Point, 168 Hornady AMAX & BTHP. 150 Fed.Powr Shok, 180 Rem Core Lokt.
The only ammo I found that it didn't like, was teh new 150 grain SST Superformance from Hornady, but after this past Sunda, I found out it was my fault.
I was forgetting to take into consideration how fast the SST was, and was not dropping like the above ammo. So, my groups were high, and was blaming ammo, but was shooter error.

I have met some members from teh hide at local gun ranges, and let them shoot it, and anyone that gets behind it, if they can do thier part, rifle is a tackdriver. You have a believer here in Rem, and you can be assured, I will buy another one.

EDIT:
I forgot to add this. I took my wife to the range 6, 7 months ago, and she has NEVER shot a gun before, of ANY kind. I let her hop behind teh 700, and even though it took her 10 minutes to get 3 rounds down range (was taking forever to to get "comfortable" behind teh rifle), SHE was able to get a 1" MOA, and Im not freakn kidding.
BTW I ended up with 26" SPS Varmint .308, and for if I remember correctly, $569, you just can't touch that performance for that $$$$

You probably should not say this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it will group 1/2" all day long</div></div>

Then show us this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. here are some pics of some random 10 round groups

IM002929-1.jpg

DSCN2936.jpg
</div></div>

Those look like some fairly benign 1.10-1.5" groups. Or were these not in the same day as "all day long". Perhaps if you're going to post Remington subject matter in a Tikka thread, the least you could do is be factual and consistent.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You probably should not say this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it will group 1/2" all day long</div></div>

Then show us this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. here are some pics of some random 10 round groups

IM002929-1.jpg

DSCN2936.jpg
</div></div>

Those look like some fairly benign 1.10-1.5" groups. Or were these not in the same day as "all day long". Perhaps if you're going to post Remington subject matter in a Tikka thread, the least you could do is be factual and consistent.

John </div></div>

YOu know what I mean...3-5 shot groups. NOT 10 shot groups..I'll pull the 3 shots for you...give me a sec..

OK, here is a 5 shot group, 4 shot 1/4"-3/8" group, with 1 flyer that opened it up some. Sorry about the ruler
laugh.gif

IM002923.jpg

And NO, it's not a 4 shot group, with 3 shots on left, 1 on right.
That small hole is 4 shots.

And teh pic of my rifle above, that is with teh mediums on. I have lows on it now. Didnt think would be able to put lows on a 44, is why I bought mediums first.

Have two Tikkas . One in 223 and one in 308 . Both are shooters. The best i got with fabric ammunition with the 223 was 10 mm and the best i got from the 308 is 16 mm with surplus (german MEN) ammo. Both are t3 lites and if i would want to shoot mainly on the range id also opt for a heavy barell as they are really really lightweight.

If you have more qustions, feel free to contact me

I have experience with 4 different Tikka T3 rifles. Two of them are 30-06 and shoot very very well bone stock. One is a 308 and shoots pretty well, under an inch when I shoot it. The fourth one is a 338WM and is a big problem child. The recoil lug is badly bent and the stock is all wallowed out from the barreled action flopping around in the stock under recoil. It was properly torqued when new, the stock and lug just can't take the pounding. The bolt shroud also broke in half after 6 months of use and the rifle eats scopes. It will be bolted into the new Whiskey-3 chassis when funds open up and I promise that will alleviate the problems with this thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^ I'm curious as to what calibers you owned in a Tikka? </div></div>

If that was sent toward me...

243, a couple 7-08's, 270, 308, and a custom bbld 260.

Nice. Ive got three tikkas myself. A heavy barrell 308 vaRMINT. A 243 T3 and a m695 7mag. THese are all shooters and will outshoot me all day. The only problem I have ever had is that I run out of ammo cause my buddies want to shoot it! I am a hunter and do not consider using any other brand than tikka. Ive shot quite a few other rifles and have not found a smoother action off the shelf for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^ I'm curious as to what calibers you owned in a Tikka? </div></div>

If that was sent toward me...

243, a couple 7-08's, 270, 308, and a custom bbld 260. </div></div>

Yep, you probably have not had an issue with the lug block with those calibers since they aren't magnums.

But that didn't stop him from stating authoritatively:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That recoil lug setup does nothing to negatively affect accuracy whatsoever. </div></div>

Ever consider that something has happened in the universe that they didn't personally inform YOU about?

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, here is a 5 shot group, 4 shot 1/4"-3/8" group, with 1 flyer that opened it up some. Sorry about the ruler
laugh.gif

</div></div>Dear gawd, make it stop.

I have had three and still have one. Great shooters out of the box. Triggers can be set from the factory to 1.5 lbs or 1lb with a little modification. Add a Manners stock and some CDI bottom metal and I would not hesitate to shoot one in competition and have, on several occasions.

Can you tell me how you modified the trigger to reach 1 pound ?

I grinded a bit of metal off of the screw that fixes the trigger to the receiver so that i could turn the trigger adjustment screw further out. The problem was, that when i closed the bolt rapidly, that it shot without me pulling the trigger......

I wonder how you did that ?

i love my tikka t3 super varmint (adjustable stock) in .308 also used a rem 700 in .308 and out of the box to me the tikka t3 was all round better. rem needed a new trigger and stock.

as for the shroud cracking, for $150 australian a got a metal shroud and new bolt arm and over sized bolt knob.

i have used 2X tikka lites in .223, and one in .270 + my .308 super varmint all have been 1 inch or less at 100 yards, often the 1/2 inch mark with hand loads.

my super varmint dose me to 1k + at around half mill accuracy and under 800yard quarter mill or less, (my round goes subsonic at 750>800 yards).

with the trigger, i have mine at just under 1 pound also with no creep. all i did was polish end of the grub screw with a nail file to give me an extra half turn of so out of the screw and that was that, 2 min work and ive never had one slam fire from this.

also the stock in the super varmint is af far as i know the same as the tactical, which is a far improvement over the stock form the lite series of rifles.

edit. i forgot to mention how smooooth the action is :p, those who have shot one will know

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aborigine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you tell me how you modified the trigger to reach 1 pound ?

I grinded a bit of metal off of the screw that fixes the trigger to the receiver so that i could turn the trigger adjustment screw further out. The problem was, that when i closed the bolt rapidly, that it shot without me pulling the trigger......

I wonder how you did that ? </div></div>

I too, would like to hear more.

I, like Aborigine, learned exactly how to produce an impressively light pull which resulted in an unsafe condition
eek.gif

It would be nice to be able to go under 2 lbs and have it reliable.

Did you use the "varmint spring" I've seen on Ebay?

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: john_1182</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
all i did was polish end of the grub screw with a nail file to give me an extra half turn of so out of the screw and that was that, 2 min work and ive never had one slam fire from this.

</div></div>This is what I did. I just ground down the top of the screw that holds the trigger into the action so I could back out the set screw. In several thousand rounds in two rifles I have had no problems with it going off.

ok, first up i will say its been about a year sence i adjusted the trigger so i dont remember the exact set up of the triger.

all i did was about 10 passes with a cheap 2$ nail file (the type that is on the metal nail clippers) on both grub screws just to polish up the surfaces and give me that extra bit of turn, nothing extreme, two or three passes at a time and check it as i went

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I did. I just ground down the top of the screw that holds the trigger into the action so I could back out the set screw. In several thousand rounds in two rifles I have had no problems with it going off. </div></div>

That's exactly what I did. Backed off the screw until I lost sear tension, ran it back in until tension returned. Gave me a beautiful 1.5 lb, crisp pull. And... one AD (scared the *&%$! outta me and my son!) and a slam fire on an empty chamber.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But that didn't stop him from stating authoritatively:

Ever consider that something has happened in the universe that they didn't personally inform YOU about?

John </div></div>

Well John,

That was a constructive comment that really helped this thread. I guess I should have said "In my personal experience, the recoil lug setup did nothing to negatively affect accuracy whatsoever"

But thanks for the smart ass comment. You really set me straight! Maybe I should pm you my comments b4 I post them so you can edit them as you see fit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the smart ass comment</div></div>

You're right, Chris... that was uncalled for. I believe in treating people with respect, even when I don't agree with them... I must have been in a mood. My apologies.

I do tire of the ceaseless unsubstantiated internet lore. And it *does* lead people astray, so I try to nip it in the bud when I see it. But no need to be a smartass.

John

fwiw, I have also experienced no negative effects on accuracy with the factory recoil lug in the "tactical" plastic stock and while bedded into my Manners stock. However in the factory wood stock it was terrible and moved all over the place, grouped like a shotgun.