• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft What's Under the Gillie?

steelbanger

Minuteman
Sep 24, 2013
Lula, Georgia
I have a question for those who have served as a sniper in the US military. What is typically worn under the gillie suit? Is it worn over BDUs, even in hot weather?

Pastel yellow "hello kitty" thong.

Have to qualify this answer--that I have not served. Couch commando here.

Last edited:
I think I read on the internet that snipers don't like VPL... it can give away their position to the bad guy (if using counter sniper optics)...so they go commando.

Most ghillies these days are used in school, and that is it. A cobra hood or just a top maybe, but a full ghillie isn't getting used that often. You aren't going to throw a ghillie or hood on before you insert, so your uniform is worn and any top or hood would be donned later once you get to your hide site. Movement to a FFP/surveillance point would be done with your final camo touches. Make sense?

Most ghillies these days are used in school, and that is it. A cobra hood or just a top maybe, but a full ghillie isn't getting used that often. You aren't going to throw a ghillie or hood on before you insert, so your uniform is worn and any top or hood would be donned later once you get to your hide site. Movement to a FFP/surveillance point would be done with your final camo touches. Make sense?

THIS +

Commando if jump suit is involved, although inserting with your chewie suit means you're gonna be hot the entire stalk...

In a regular ghillie suit (not those manufactured bases such as the Cobra), you wear your cammies. Thats why you get a base 1-2 sizes bigger. However it gets pretty hot.

Skivvie shirt and silkies is all I wore under mine. I never wore mine over top of my cammies and like Victory said, you rarely use them outside of the school house environment anyhow, especially the bottoms. You learn how to use the terrain to your advantage instead of trying to lay out on a stalk lane with no egress route.

A very hot miserable person that is being reminded of all his bad life choices he made to put him in his current state of misery. A cobra hood over a frog top with ghillie bottoms is much cooler. I used my bottoms on patrol all the time, I just took the jute off them.