• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's very good accuracy for 22LR

Got lucky today while lot testing some ammo at 100 yards shooting 5 shot groups. One of the SK Standard Plus lots shot the best. It was pretty dialed in to where I was aiming 😉
20210614_172014.jpg
20210614_170555.jpg
20210614_173211.jpg
20210614_165124.jpg

Rifle precision is over rated. Especially when your talking positional/ field shooting. There is limits of course.

I'm realistic and track a lot of data. Once your willing to accept reality. (Reality is everyone makes their rifle look like it shoots better then it really does.) You will beable to out shoot others whos rifle shoots "sub moa all day long" well yours is 2 moa. Once you get over how good does my rifle shoot and focus on the real problem. How good I can shoot and read condition is the defining factor on hits.

10 shot groups at 50 I like under 0.7"
10 shot at 100 1-1/2" is good for me.
20 shot at 200 I like to find under 4"
20 shots at 300 12" is ok.
20 shots at 400 20" is pretty good for most.
20 shots at 500 30" is where it tends to go.
This exactly. My rifle ( for the most part almost everyone’s rifle) can shoot better than they can. I currently run a Kidd for nrl 22 and every miss that I accumulate at a match is mine, not the rifle or the ammo or the scope. Mostly for me it comes down to crappy position building and inability to read wind.

5 shot groups are pretty worthless with a 22. You really should be doing 20 round groups due to the incosistancy of 22LR ammo. Cherry picking a 5 shot group means nothing when shot 11 is an inch high.

• Haha
Reactions: Turbo2
20230406_102726.jpg

I happen to have just posted this elsewhere for other reasons and thought maybe it fit here too. Mainly because it is a 40 composite shot under pretty average conditions with pretty average equipment by a pretty average shooter using ... you guessed it ... pretty average ammo.

Vudoo 360 w/22 inch ACE Kukri w/Tuner and 15-55 NF Comp, Bix Comp
32F, medium switching winds
SK Long Range Match, I bought two cases blind and obviously it doesn't suck
bipod, rear bag, prone, 50 yards
Grumpy old man with bad eyes and the shakes

Time to annoy some folks. :D

I don't consider shooting groups a worthwhile method for exhibiting accuracy.
It's a technique for practicing hold, squeeze, breathing and dialing in a scope.
But not for showing the accuracy of the rifle, ammo, shooter.
If accuracy is the goal, ya' have to hit what ya' aim at.
In most results, those groups so proudly shown,
are not impacting at the same location relative to point of aim.
They wander up/down/left/right and if you were to build an aggregate group
from all the individual groups, y'er not going to like what you see.
If you are serious about determining the accuracy of a rifle or cartridge
ya' need to hit what ya' aim at. Shoot for score, not group size.
Exhibit the ability to actually place the bullet where you were aiming.
Don't be satisfied with a random act of a few uniform trajectories
that don't end up where y'er crosshairs were aiming.
Prove you can hit what you were aiming at.
There's a challenge worth the effort.

You want to see accuracy? Look at the scores and targets
resulting from a skilled shooter working on the USBR Green Monster.
I am only able to hit 4 of 6 flies at 50 yds but I will give the green monster a shot when the 22” of snow melts…
6AC1F00C-3F87-4450-A443-8787439C9666.jpeg

DA92D2BA-53B9-489F-A355-A65D0B6C3D18.jpeg

C752B4D2-C3AC-48EC-85E4-6773B21DF18F.jpeg

BE5D857E-AB67-445F-BED6-67BF657937B0.jpeg

@RETE8... there's only one question to be answered after you squeeze the trigger:

Did I hit what I aimed at? Yes or No?

If you did, that is what a rifle is for. If you didn't, what needs to be done to do so?

I've found that decreasing the distance from muzzle to target works.
Any rifle and ammo combination can hit a dime every time, if I get close enough. ;)