• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing What's wrong with Hogue rifle stocks?

jeo556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2009
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
I was reading another thread and noticed that Hogue stocks seem to have a bad reputation here. So I used the search function and other than having "flimsy" forends I couldn't find anything. I have a hogue with a full length aluminum chassis and I'm impressed with it as a whole. Obviously I don't have the "flimsy" forend problem and the stock's texture offers great purchase no matter what the conditions, doesn't get cold to the touch and is very quiet. So inquiring minds want to know.....

"What's wrong with Hogue rifle stocks?"

Re: What's wrong with Hogue rifle stocks?

Hogue stocks are generally very well made. The stocks that have the aluminum bedding block like yours are more rigid than the stocks with just pillars installed. I modify the pillar stocks by making an aluminum bedding rod for the forend. I mill out a portion of the molded in gussets and then thread the front swivel stud into the aluminum bedding rod. I then completely bed the stock to include the action. This stiffens the forend significantly and there is no flex from sling or bipod use. There is quite a bit of prep involved to get the bedding compound to stick to the stock....

Threw one on a friends .204 ruger M-seventy-something-or hawkeye rifle(can't remember now), and it was just the trick to turn the rifle into a 3/4 moa shooter. It would not shoot better than 1.25moa prior to the hogue stock being installed. Was a full aluminum frame\bed type.

The problem you are refering to is the Houge take off's...SPS Varminter I belive...they are just pillars and are incredibly flexible with bipod.

The full length are worth their weight in silver to me...they do feel great in your hands and are very rigid. Only bummer for me is the LOP....not sure what is inside the butt of the stock but if I could send my MCM or HS for an Overmold treatment I would in a heartbeat.

I always thought that compared to stocks like the VS HS Precision, Hogue stocks were heavy and felt like a club rather than a rifle stock.