• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What's your choice in EDC knives?

Mn_Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
Minnesota
Looking to pick up a new knife for everyday use. I'm kind of torn between a "regular" sized folder and a so called "mini" folder. What's your choice?

Re: What's your choice in EDC knives?

If you have a price range it would probably help people narrow it down.

Strider SnG

It depends.. I've tried lots of folders over the years and it really depends on the dress and situation. Most of the time I prefer my Spyderco Military or Para2. I just got a discontinued Benchmade HK14205 that I am really digging. I also like the BM Mini-Griptilians,BM 707 and Spyderco Dragonfly for a small EDC. As you can see the size goes from 4" blade to 2" blade.

The Military is really light and thin for it's size. One that may surprise you in the smaller size is the Spyderco Dragonfly. Though very small, feels much bigger in the hand and is great for daily tasks (mail/boxes/etc). A bit too small for food prep, but I use kitchen knives for that. Lots to choose from out there.

Some like a neck knife/small fixed blade. I recently got a Bark River Northstar Companion and it is a stout little blade (too big for neck carry, but small fixed). The ESEE Izula and similar are popular as well. I've got my eye on a BRKT Necker at some point in 3V.

It's hard to find the perfect EDC b/c knives are like potato chips.. you can't have just one.

Check out the Benchmade mini barrage. I just got one for my girlfriend to edc, and I am thinking about one for myself. I currently carry a Benchmade AFO II as my EDC. Its kid of large, but it really gets the job done. I use it all the time.

For a cheap but well made light weight and well-sized folding knife go to WalMart and try out the CRKT Ripple; it's a Ken Onion design and even has IKBS-worth every penny of the $40.00 asking price

IMG_1333.jpg

Without a doubt the Emerson CQC7 is the best EDC I have tried. I have carried mine day in day out for the past 6 years. Also carry a Ratt RC4 as a backup to my CQC 7.

Wow... Good info here!!

Price range: I'd like to stay around $100 +/-.
Assisted or not is fine, but no autos. (Minnesota ya know.
frown.gif
)
Not sure about serrated or not.
Tanto... Cool look, but why? OR why not?

I'm a newbie's newbie when it comes to good steel. I have a Buck folder from w-a-y back but it's a belt carried knife. My current EDC is a little baby Kershaw pencil sharpener. No more than 2" or so blade. Sharp as the dickens but small.

Been looking at Benchmade pretty close as I have a local stocking dealer with all the cool flavors. Kershaw is always a favorite. I'll be doing a bit more window shopping... Gaining knowledge and narrowing the field.

EDC in work pants is a ZT 0301 - it is a beast, but 8.6 oz - needs a sturdy pocket. In dress pants, I need something lighter, so it is a Spyderco Endura in ZDP-189 steel at 3.6 oz with a 3.75" blade. Occasionally, a Benchmade Styker.

Basically, I go with right at legal limit (4" blade), as there is no reason to carry smaller.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downrange1x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Without a doubt the Emerson CQC7 is the best EDC I have tried. I have carried mine day in day out for the past 6 years. Also carry a Ratt RC4 as a backup to my CQC 7. </div></div>

The folding machete bit was a bit of a joke. I go between a Benchmade-licensed CQC7 that I'm trying not to tear up too much and a Gerber Covert Applegate-Fairbairn in the pocket. On the belt, a Spyderco Street Beat or a Boker Plus Mosier.

i love my zt 0200 its a big folder but ive carried a knife in my pocket since i was 6 or 7 yrs old and it doesnt bother me.

Also have a spartan enyo that makes it onto my neck probably 5 days out of the week.

For the money i think the zero tolerance knives are a great value.

$100 price point.. easy then..

Spyderco Para 2:
blade steel: CPM-S30V
handle material: G-10
blade lock: Compression Lock (very strong)
blade length: 3.438"
blade thickness: .141"
length closed: 4.812"
weight: 3.75 oz.

Thin and light are very important to me in an edc.. how well it sits in the pocket w/o getting in the way of things like taking out my money clip or just standing around with my hands in my pocket. I don't like when I sit in the car if it bunches up in the pocket.. just things to think about. You want it to be there, but not know it's there. I don't use mine like a prybar, so no need for an over beefed up folder here. That's why I have a prybar and/or a beater fixed blade in the glove compartment/trunk.

This Guy: I use it for everything, hunting, fishing, working on my littel hobby ranch, EVERYTHING. I don't like big knives.

case%20pocket%20knife.jpg

I need to get one of those.. they are the classic.

CQC7 Best box opener and fruit cutter I have.

Emerson Horseman. I tried the assisted opening stuff....the last one being a Microtch Troodon. I prefer the wave function over any of them. I am hard on a knife and use one a lot around the farm, woods, etc. The Microtech was sharp and nice one handed but it will not function for long in dirty use environments.....or linty pockets for that matter. The wave is a manual fast opening feature but works every time even full of a mix of dirt and cow crap.

Second vote for the Kershaw blur and the compound. I really like the way the compound carries when in dress slacks, very low profile in the pocket and still thin while having a respectable blade length.

I carry a Hinderer XM-18 slicer grind or a Strider SMF, but neither can be had within a row of assholes of $100, so I would suggest a Spyderco of some sort, they are fantastic knives for the money.

+1 on the ZT0350. I have meen carrying one every day for about 6 monthes now and really like it. My secondary is a Emerson Mini-Comander.

I carried a ruko/fox predator II for years and I'm now on to the Zero Tolerance 0200ST

I've been carrying a Hogue Ex-01 folder for a good while now and it's one of my favorite blades, they make g-10 and aluminum versions as well as drop point or tanto models in 2 different lengths for each. Mines been a workhorse and it hasn't let me down yet.

I carry a Chris Reeve Sebenza Amboyna wood every single day. Love it. The strongest folder I've ever seen. Even bought one for my son.
Reeve does make a large and small size.
Here's a pic I stole from a site.
-T
Oops I just saw the $100 price range.... Enjoy anyway
L-cr-lg-sebenza-2007-amboyna-swedge-double-lug.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$100 price point.. easy then..

Spyderco Para 2:
blade steel: CPM-S30V
handle material: G-10
blade lock: Compression Lock (very strong)
blade length: 3.438"
blade thickness: .141"
length closed: 4.812"
weight: 3.75 oz.

Thin and light are very important to me in an edc.. how well it sits in the pocket w/o getting in the way of things like taking out my money clip or just standing around with my hands in my pocket. I don't like when I sit in the car if it bunches up in the pocket.. just things to think about. You want it to be there, but not know it's there. I don't use mine like a prybar, so no need for an over beefed up folder here. That's why I have a prybar and/or a beater fixed blade in the glove compartment/trunk. </div></div>

I own pretty much every knife mentioned here so far and I think Hawk45 has it right.
If you want something thinner and lighter duty go Spyderco Stretch.

I usually carry a Sebenza. A pic of my usual carry knives
98ebf68a.jpg

The spyderco PM 2, Military, BM 710 are a little over $100 but great knives