• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your favorite 1911 grip?

SmokeRolls

Nobody important
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
I'm going to change the grip on my 1911, I'm debating about going to a rubberized grip or ? I want a no slip grip. What have you found to be your favorite? and if you have pics or a website with pics, post it.........Thanks.....SmokeRolls

Re: What's your favorite 1911 grip?

Bill Wilson built LE comp, circa 1984, with 20 LPI hand checkering:
IMG_1857.jpg

My preference goes to VZ grips

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill Wilson built LE comp, circa 1984, with 20 LPI hand checkering:
IMG_1857.jpg
</div></div>
Graham, nice 1911.... I like the long barrel as well.
Rhys and Mavrick,I'll look up the VZ grips....... Any more suggestions?...............SmokeRolls

I run Operators and like them a lot. I have Gator Backs,and Gunner grips as well,any of those will serve you well. I shoot in master class IDPA and use Operator grips on my CDP. They can be a bit rough on someone with soft hands though.LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FedsCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run Operators and like them a lot. I have Gator Backs,and Gunner grips as well,any of those will serve you well. I shoot in master class IDPA and use Operator grips on my CDP. They can be a bit rough on someone with soft hands though.LOL</div></div>
You don't have to worry about my hands handling grips, my wife makes me put lotion on my hands before I even touch her. She says they are WAY to rough.......I just smile....No pencil pusher here......
Thanks everyone for the grip recomendations.
So far the VZ operators and the operators II look like what I may go with but I am not thru looking at all of the recommendations..................SmokeRolls

Another vote for the VZ grips. They are excellent...particularly the Gator Backs!

I have these grips from Smith and Alexander on my Les Baer that I use for competition. They are very, very grippy feeling without being abrasive. I'm also a fan of slim grips, and they come both ways.

If you're using a mag well, these are also available without the taper on the bottom so they fit up nicely.

If you want a rubberized grip, Id go with Pachmayr. I have used them on all my 1911s and I love them. They have worked out really well for me.

Google Davidson Knives G10 grips...several styles so pick your poison. Larry's work is second to none.

ive put hogues on everything from 1911 to m4 and loved them. pachmyr is good too. i dont care what anyone says....when hands are wet with blood sweat or spray rubber grips are much prefered to the nicest looking wood.

For looking good at the BBQ, a good set of Esmeralda's grips. For everyday work, I use Alumagrips.

I went with G10 by Larry Davidson, but went back for classic look with the OEM wood Springfield.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTriever</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For looking good at the BBQ, a good set of Esmeralda's grips. For everyday work, I use Alumagrips.</div></div>
If I ever want to look good at the Barbi, I will definately consider Esmeralda's. She had some nice looking grips and she looks like she puts some effort into it..... Thanks for all the recomendations guys.............
And now to choose.....SmokeRolls

i really like my hogue with the finger grooves, but my kimber has checkered front and back with a rubber checkered grip that i find just fine. we have a guy at the local shows that has sweet exotic woods. i wish i had more 1911's just to buy them and show them off. either that or i will have to change them out once a month just for showing off

oh yeah, that esmerelda, damn, id like to get a grip on that. no offense but thats a pretty woman, and she sits a nice horse too

I like the basic Pachmyr rubber grips with the steel inserts, because thay supply a degree of additional safety if there's a case rupture. A friend had this happen, and the steel inserts saved his hand from serious injury.

Greg

Just put some VZ Grip Aliens in green canvas micarta on my Springfield. REALLY happy with them. Incredible feel and they look great.

1911-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the basic Pachmyr rubber grips with the steel inserts, because thay supply a degree of additional safety if there's a case rupture. A friend had this happen, and the steel inserts saved his hand from serious injury.

Greg</div></div>
Very interesting. What caused the rupture? (I mean what exactly happened that caused the ka-boom?)
SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+Hoser. Skateboard is effective but maybe not pretty. It works.</div></div>
Reminds me of non-skid used in the Navy for foot traction. When brand new, if you fall on your face on that stuff, you might as well go to a plastic surgeon because your face will look like hamburger......
Come to think of it, that would be a neat idea to get a terrorist to talk... Hook him to a four wheeler and drag him very slowly over new non-skid with just his briefs on....
Thanks for the idea......hahahahahaha
SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just put some VZ Grip Aliens in green canvas micarta on my Springfield. REALLY happy with them. Incredible feel and they look great.

1911-1.jpg
</div></div>
I like the VZ grips even more......SmokeRolls

Sorry for the bad pic. STI Trojan 9mm 1911. Great competition pistol. Larry Davidson Horned Lizard grips w/ skateboard tape front strap. So much grip that this pistol ain't goin' nowhere!

P7050061.jpg

The firearm in question had been converted to shoot .38spl.

The ammunition was handloaded, and had apparently not been handloaded to accommodate the unsupported part of the chamber that the 1911 design provides. A cartridge ruptured, and appeared to have also set off the top two rounds in the magazine.

The slide was bulged and blown clear, the sideplates on the grips were also somewhat bulged. He credits the survival of his shooting hand to the Pachmayrs and gifted me my first set.

I did not witness the event, but have zero reason to doubt his account.

My friend said one second he was squeezing off a round, the next he was holding just the pistol frame. His hand was mildly lacerated and abraded, and he received a nasty laceration on his eyebrow from a piece of the slide.

Greg

Esmerelda's grips are freakin kick ass. There is a old .45 I built coming in from CA that will be weraing them in a few months or so. Ivorywood Celtic Courage Cross.
Shoot, with style and class like that, who needs basic black rubber or flat cocobolo oem? Makes me think of a certain line in a certain movie,"...It is your corrupt we lay claim to!"
grin.gif

snIV29570_small.jpg

Esmerelda

logo_new_jan04_4web.jpg

http://www.esmeralda.cc/about_esmeralda.htm

I dont know about that. I think it's pretty hard to improve on this..

xlc6kg.jpg

But I do like to look at 1911s with custom grips.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The firearm in question had been converted to shoot .38spl.

The ammunition was handloaded, and had apparently not been handloaded to accommodate the unsupported part of the chamber that the 1911 design provides. A cartridge ruptured, and appeared to have also set off the top two rounds in the magazine.

The slide was bulged and blown clear, the sideplates on the grips were also somewhat bulged. He credits the survival of his shooting hand to the Pachmayrs and gifted me my first set.

I did not witness the event, but have zero reason to doubt his account.

My friend said one second he was squeezing off a round, the next he was holding just the pistol frame. His hand was mildly lacerated and abraded, and he received a nasty laceration on his eyebrow from a piece of the slide.

Greg</div></div>

Ouch !!!!! Rude awakening........Glad he's okay
SmokeRolls

I love 1911's.... Hats off to John Browning.... If only he was alive today to invent more weapons with todays technology and materials.............SmokeRolls

He was OK for quite awhile, but we lost Billy Miller to a decades long fight with Cancer (I'm thinking...) a few years ago. He was my (and many others') mentor for all matters pertaining to handguns about a couple of decades back. Whatever it was that I became, most of it was traceable back to him. Good man who will be long missed.

Greg