• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's Your Favorite Brass for your .223 Bolt Rifle

Thats easy! My favorite is Lapua. My next choice is Winchester. I can't tell much if any difference in groups, but the Winchester takes a lot of work to match Lapua's consistency. It also does not last as long. Split necks on once fired Winchester caused me to buy an annealing machine. Lightman

I've used Lapua, Nosler, RP, FC, and Lake City...all work great in my 223/223AI bolt guns. Lapua is probably "best" for stout loads, though.

Primers? CCI 400, 450, Rem 6.5. Prefer 450s, but they seem to be unobtanium right now.

It dont matter in my gun all brass I load shoots the same small groups in targets. If I had my choice though I would own nothing but IMI brass.

LC mostly, my 223 is for steel and prairie dogs. Hell I'll pick up range brass on that caliber, as a matter of fact I dont remember ever buying virgin brass for the 223.

perazzisc3, I like CCI small rifle and Remington BR when I can find them. I really like CCI in about everything. Lightman

Last edited:
Love my Lapua for .308 and .223, with consistency and velocity SDs in the single digits. Save this stuff for precision shooting out of my bolt guns due to cost. Less critical shooting is usually with Winchester and Remington. My AR is generally fed with 5.56, mostly Lake City, and Western. Also just got about a thousand rounds of Speer 2010 that looks beautiful and I cant wait to try some out. For situations where I anticipate not being able to retrieve my brass, I use a mixed bag of stuff like Federal, PMC, AMERC, IMI, IVI, and anything else I scrounge from different sources.

After doing the typical case sizing and trimming I generally bevel the throats and flash holes and flash pockets. I always sort by weight, WITHIN each different headstamp.

I've had good luck with Winchester. Would love to try some Lapua though...

I bought some Norma brass for my 223AI that will be finished some time later this year. It was kinda an impulse buy, Lapua was my first choice but found the Norma instock and bought a couple hundered cases. Since then Lapua has been available but I'm going to stick with the Norma. Needed the brass to send off to bugholes for chambering. From what I've read Norma is on par with Lapua, but I haven't heard of many people using it in 223. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

3wide, you will get good service from that Norma brass! Boy, will it be good when the supply chain catches up? Lightman

Call me cheap. I've got 3K of 223 brass, that I "pulled" out of buckets on the range. Last summer. Not sure of the make, but it was free. I use Winchester brass, for my bolt. Should I "throw out" the other stuff? NO, I won't. It's plinking fodder. Funny change, between last summer and now: the "buckets are always empty" these days.

Last edited: