• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

whats your favorite custom action??

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
Just for fun fellas. I am going to be building a 22-250AI for coyote/ whatever else hunting and im torn as to what action to use. I may just end up using a rem 700 but i really like custom actions. I will probably order a manners t3 as well. so this will be sort of a tactical rig as well. I will use a shilen Chrome moly barrel and a shilen trigger, this much i know. I thought about a surgeon round action as they seem to be priced pretty reasonably. the new big horn has my attention as well. Just looking for conversation here fellas. Lets see your hunting/ tactical rigs if you have the time. thanks Lee

Re: whats your favorite custom action??

am going to be running a couple Defiance actions with the Guardian mag well so I can run either AW or AI mags in it... Seems to be a sweet way to go, and from what I am told the quality is second to none.

but as you already know, it is tough to go wrong with any of the big names.

DD

Can't say as to how it works for hunting but I have a tactical rifle with the Badger action and love it. I have shot it in several matches with zero problems. I also have a tactical rifle with Surgeon which is also an excellent action that I have never had a problem with and again have used in several tactical field matches.

I have had about a half dozen Bat actions and having 1 built now. I like them alot. Had others 2 and liked them. Alot of nice actions out their for different types of builds. Can,t wait to try the action out on the rifle Mike Bush is building for me.

I like my Bat actions very much as well. I dont think im going to buy a BAT for this project though. they just cost to dang much! I have one of the new Haverkamp actions and i really like it. Tom Haverkamp is a good friend of mine and he has a very nice action for varmint and bench shooting. they are all single shot. If your in the market for something like that. check them out. I promise you that you will like them!! Lee

I would have to say, my #1 favorite is the AI AE and AW action, I wish AI offered their actions for sale. #1 favorite "custom" (available) action would be the Surgeon 591.

A side note, on a recommendation from Glen Seekins, I look a close look @ the Defiance actions, they are one of the smoothest actions I have ever cycled, not necessarily geared toward tactical use with its tighter tolerances.

Kirk R

1. Surgeon 591
2. Templar
3. Defiance
4. Badger
5. BAT
6. Bighorn (have not played with one but I know I would like it.)

these defiance actions are intriguing me very much. I would want a benchrest tight action myself. How do you fellas think these compare to a bat or kelblys actions? thanks Lee

Love my Badger action. I wouldn't hesitate to do another build on one.

I think Defiance makes the Templar action for GAP or am I wrong?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red Belly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Defiance makes the Templar action for GAP or am I wrong?</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, Defiance makes the Templar action.</div></div>

I just put the Templar in there on its own to call it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red Belly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Defiance makes the Templar action for GAP or am I wrong? </div></div>

They make them for a bunch of different companies, wouldn't be surprised if GAP was one of them. They also make actions for underground skunkworks, those are some slick looking actions.

img0109dm.jpg
img026su.jpg

Defiance MAchine

1. Defiance machine
2. Remington 700
3. Surgeon (RSR or 591)

That's my order of preference based on the ones I have personal experience with.

Out of the ones I have played with so far, for a tactical build, the Badger and Bighorn Arms are the two I would go with.

my vote goes for underground skunkworks new action. (made by defiance machine)

i handled one a few weeks ago, it was beautiful

I LOVE surgeon 1086's and 591's. They have every feature I love;

Chrome Moly
Itegral Bolt Handle
Integral Rail
Integral Lug

1086 looks particlarly good with the flats milled on the side of the action.

Rem700Man's surgeon RSR is the smoothest action Ive ever cycled, its awesome!

Just do it on a 700.

It'll be gone in a month anyway......

grin.gif

whats the scoop with these big horn actions? I know the bolt head floats but why does it need to? I know Jon sure likes the way the bolt handle is tig welded on. He says its the best tig weld job he has ever seen on a bolt handle. They seem a bit pricey to me though. Im going to talk with defiance tomorrow as i am really intrigued with this action for some reason.
Alf, you may be correct. If i dont absolutely fall in love with a rifle after i have it built, ill sell it! I dont have the kind of money to have something in the safe i dont like, and i am pretty darn picky!! That's why i havent jumped into this build yet. Ive been talking about it for 2 months now. I just dont know what i want yet, so im not going to spend any money until i do! However coyote season is soon approaching. I cut 2 acres of corn this evening so we could start building the new house and i saw a young dog just sitting about 60 yards watching me. I could have had an easy shot, if i only had a rifle to shoot him with! LOL!! Take care and thanks for the ideas fellas. Picking out the parts is half the fun!! Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats the scoop with these big horn actions? I know the bolt head floats but why does it need to? ... Lee </div></div>
It's a superior design. The only question is how big of an issue it is on a well-made bolt action.

A floating bolt head exists on Savage and AR-15 platforms. Many believe this floating bolt head helps explain the inherent out of the box accuracy of these rifles. The bolt head floats and self-centers/squares itself against the lug recesses and cartridge face. A well-made non-floating bolt head will have been trued and lapped, thereby eliminating the issue also. But there is no question the design is an improvement.

See video: http://www.savagearms.com/accuracy/floatingbolthead/

Is there anyone out there who has proven the new Kelbly "Atlas" action, 700 clone with BR quality!
Regards
Tommy

Surgeon 591. Rail wont come loose and the bolt handle wont break off.

Nothing wrong with Defiance either.(solid bolt handle)

Lots of good actions out there. Choose the right guy to screw it all together.

(Choose the right guy to screw it all together.)

Thats the easy part for me. Jon Beanland is my friend and gun plumber!! I would put his rifle up against anyone's!! Anyway Like i said these defiance actions have me really thinking. I was pretty sure i was going to go with a surgeon round action but now im not so sure?? Does anyone here have any pics of the defiance rifle action to share?? Lee

GAPLW260007.jpg

GAPLW260004.jpg

GAPLW260005.jpg

1st260dogs001.jpg

GAP260003.jpg

Both of these are GAP .260's on the Templar action(Defiance). Both of these rifles are absolute hammers.

i havent built her yet but i have a pheonix machine.

i think its pretty nice. ok she is awesome.
yeah and i like lilja barrels.

I run a Bighorn, and am very happy with it. I've handled a Stiller and thought it was nice, but would prefer the Bighorn.

i just picked up my build off a stiller predator action last night. ill shoot it today hopfully and report back

Surgeon 591

But I don't have experience with any of the other customs... just a lot of time shooting Rem 700's. Had the Surgeon made and haven't looked back, it is amazing!