• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your favorite die set for 6.5 Creedmoor?

Johnson184

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2008
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I've always just used Dillon die sets, but now I'm looking to get much more involved in precision long range shooting and reloading. I've got a lot to learn, but would appreciate y'alls experience and advice on a set of dies for 6.5 Creedmoor.

I have always been a big fan of forster br seating dies. I just recently started using forster sizing dies and im very pleased with them. Makes very concentric brass and loaded rounds.

Forster FL Sizing die and Forster Ultra Micrometer seating die. Ive used all the big names, I get the least runout with this combination. For my bolt rifles I bunch shoulder back .001-.002 and it also gives .002 neck tension. Runout is .001 or less

Very happy with Whidden dies. I use the bushing sizer and get low runout with a Co-ax press.

I use Redding 6.5 Competition type s 3 die set with micrometer seating die. I tried the Whidden on my 6 Creedmoor and didn't like them at all sold them and went back to Redding. I use some RCBS with no issue but Redding are my go to dies.

For 6.5 Creedmoor I use Redding S type bushing die. Bushing matched to brass neck thickness for neck tension. Bullet seating is done with L.E. Wilson seating die on arbor press. With ref. to neck tension I additionally anneal brass on each loading.

Last edited:
I have the hornady custom grade set and the lee 4 die set. I only got the lee set to use the collet neck sizer. I find I have better luck with concentricity when using the hornady dies.

I'll also give an endorsement for Forster FL sizing die and the micrometer seater. One other think you might look into is having the neck of the Forster die custom honed to match your brass dimensions. You can have them open up the neck so that it is about .003-.004 smaller than the neck OD of your brass with a loaded round. This will help reduce how much the brass is being worked when the die sizes it down and then it is expanded back up. I believe their dies are normally .008" smaller than loaded round (at least for the calibers I've asked about when using Lapua brass). You can call and they will give you the specifications. Another plus is that it only costs $12 for them to custom hone the die and they have it done within a week or two.

As a side note since you mention Dillon dies, in case you're loading on a DIllon press. You might also look into the possibility of doing 2 step sizing on a progressive. I use my custom honed Forster die to size the outside of the case, but I remove the internal expander ball. Then for the second step I use a Sinclair carbide expander mandrel to size the inside of the neck to .002 under bullet diameter. Doing it on a Dillon 550 I decap in station 1, size in station 2, and expander mandrel in station 3. Works awesome and produces extremely consistent, low runout brass.

Last edited:
+1 for forster. I have had great luck with their full length die sets.

I've been using redding S type sizer and Forster micro meter seater dies. Now I think I might change over to Sheldon N's method for sizing or at least give it a try.

Very happy with Whidden dies. I use the bushing sizer and get low runout with a Co-ax press.

Just received my Whidden 6.5 CM die set. First batch of Hornady brass I sized measured LESS than .001" run-out on the necks with MOST of it less than .0005". I wasn't using a Co-Ax press so I'll give credit to the die. :cool:

Definitely a quality set. The difference from other dies (and I own several sets per caliber for some reason) is obvious from the moment you open the box.

I'm a slow learner. I start with "inexpensive" and work up. Finally figured out that I can save money by buying the premium stuff first.

Hey Sheldon, do you use the Dillon 550 to seat bullets or do you use a different press?

I use the Dillon 550 to load my match rounds from pre-prepped brass as described above. I prime in station 1, then in station two I drop precision weighed powder charges using a funnel. Then in station 3 I seat bullets with a Forster micrometer die floated on an o-ring. Seating depths are just as consistent as with my single stage and loaded rounds are very low runout. Goes pretty quick too, I can prime and precision load 100 rounds in about 45 minutes.

Reactions: Lowe Left
Forster FL sizer and ultra micrometer competition seating die for me.

Redding FL type S, Lee Collect and Forster Ultra Micrometer for seating

I use a Redding type s FL sizer, .289 neck bushing for my hornady Brass with decapping pin removed. And a lee seater die. I have no runout cuz I don’t measure for it lol I figured instead of buying a concentricity gauge id just wait until my ammo shot like shit. I’m cheap thou

Whidden custom resizing die with a .288" neck. Sinclair/Wilson seater die.
Wurks fur me!