• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your favorite factory .308?

b7tac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2011
FL
www.armatuscarry.com
I have a 700p. I am trying to find out which factory ammo shoots the best in it. Which factory ammo have you guys have had the greatest luck with? Unfortunately, reloading is not an option quite yet.

I know every rifle is different, but steer me in the right direction as far as bullet wait, etc...

Re: What's your favorite factory .308?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Federal Gold Medal Match 168 for me </div></div>

+1 on this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Federal Gold Medal Match 168 for me </div></div>

+1

I don't always use factory, but when I do I use:
Black Hills, 168gr
SW Ammo Standard 175gr.
Federal Premium Gold Metal 168 gr. with Sierra's MatchKing BTHP

I like the Black Hills 168 gr. but not as much as my reloads. You can get set up for reloading a lot cheaper than I thought, it does pay for itself in many ways.

Whichever shoots the best in whichever rifle I plan to use it.

Federal gold metal
Black Hills
Hornady TAP red box and match
Lapua
Lake City
Corbon

It's all good. Get a box of each and see which shoots the best. No two rifles will shoot exactly the same, they will almost always shoot two different loads the best. The only exception to that I've found is FGMM 168, it has always been one of the best shooting loads in most of the 308's I've had.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Federal GMM 168 SMK's shoots great in every rifle I have ever owned.</div></div>

What he (they) said.

It is also the most used round in the LEO community

+1

I prefer the Federal Gold Medal 175gr. Great ammo!

Thanks for all the great responses!

Where is the best place to buy FGMM 168s? Do you guys order offline, or do you have a LGS that sells them at a good price?

My rifle doesn't shoot the Federals as well. Hornady Custom and Light Mag were okay, but then I discovered the Hornady TAP 168 A-Max - clearly better.

Southwest ammo 175smk is good shit. My personal best is 7" group at one k.

SW Ammo 175s of course.
smile.gif

Federal Gold Medal Match 175's for me too.

Not a fan of any one in particular. I've been searching for years and have come across only 1 I really like. Chicken brand...........................cheap cheap. When I can't find it, I buy black hills 175.

I have had really good luck with Southwest Ammo 175smk, also 168 Amax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what type of shooting are you doing? paper...deer? </div></div>

Both... I know I will need different bullets, I am just looking for the best weight.

I shot some cheap federal the other day (168 gr) and it shot really well out of my rifle. Then I sighted in with what I bought for hunting (150gr Hornady SST) and it shot like shit. I am thinking the 150gr is a little on the small side. I am going to try the FGMM 168gr and see how it goes.

From least to most favorite for me are Fgmm 168 smk's are good to 600 yards. Most anything with 175 smk's are good past 200 yards. The 178 bthp from hornady are amazing if your barrel can spin them fast enough. And most anyone will tell you that the lapua 155's are just the best period

Fgmm 175 works well for me

I have a 26" 700PSS (The early 700P's) and FGMM 168's and 175's shoot great. USA Ammo 175SMK's shoot like crap. I have a few hundred rounds of southwest 175's on order. Will let you know how they shoot comparatively.

There are some deals on the 168 and 175 FGMM right now. $17.99/$18.99 with $12 shipping up to 500 rounds. I'm trying the southwest to see if I can get better brass for reloading down the road at near the same cost (Winchester vs FGMM brass). Southwest has an 8% off sale going at this time but shipping will be slightly higher.

Southwest Ammo's 175gr SMK...

If I ever were to stop rolling my own, SW's 175 would be the first place I would start. I have had great luck with both Federal Match, and Black Hills Match. If you can get some M118LR, it shoots well too. I like the 175 SMK, but realize there are other bullets. All of the above will shoot very well, the trick is to find one that you can afford to shoot a lot of. See which one your rifle likes best then buy as much as you can afford.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: b7tac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 700p. I am trying to find out which factory ammo shoots the best in it. Which factory ammo have you guys have had the greatest luck with? Unfortunately, reloading is not an option quite yet.

I know every rifle is different, but steer me in the right direction as far as bullet wait, etc...

</div></div>
Never shot any factory ammo in my two 308s, Id say try what everyone else is telling you, the Fed GMM.

I do not shoot much factory ammo anymore, but when I did, the Fed Gold was my ticket. When I was using it, it was about the only game in town. I could handload more accurate ammo, but it was consistent(very important for police agencies that use factory stuff) and was usually on hand at the the gunshop.

Recently, I have shot some match ammo by some of the big name makers and was surprised it did no better than it did. My brother ran it through his Terry Cross(when I typed his name I thought I heard an angelic chorus) and was left wondering why the high price tag and marginal performance.

I shoot plenty of deer with FGMM, does just fine.

Ga arms 175match. Its a 175smk with lake city match brass and follows the FGMM recipe as far as powder, primer, bullet etc... Its 40$ for 50rds and shoots just as good as FGMM out of my rifles.

I like the federal American eagle 168 OTM load. very accurate and can usually be found for about 16 a box.

FGMM, of course, shoots very well and can be found for 20 a box.

I have had oood luck with the USA Ammo 168 and 175 loads, though they are not "match", they shoot better than hunting fodder in my two rifles. They make 155, 168 and 178 AMAX loads as well. The 155 load should work very well on deer.

My next purchase will be SouthWest run and gun.

Check Palmetto state armory for deals on ammo. Usually can't be beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1kHIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer the Federal Gold Medal 175gr. Great ammo!
</div></div>
+1 for me!

I use FGMM mostly for factory ammo but I reload alot.