• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Whats your shooting distance?

Wilkinkc

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2011
Kansas City MO
Wasn't sure where else to put this ha. Just curious what distance most of you guys shoot targets at & what power of scope your using. I recently bought a SPS Tact and at the time had planned on shoot 100-600 yards. Found out here recently that all the ranges over 100 are private and not accepting new members right now and/or you must be sponsored by a member to get in.

Local range is 100 yards and I'm not sure how long that will keep my attention with a precision rifle. Anyone else shoot 100 yards?

Re: Whats your shooting distance?

Lol, 20 yards I haven't got the new rifle to the range

my local ranges go to 600 and when i get to the dessert we get out to 1000. i got a new 338 in the works so hopefully soon i will be out to 1700

At home ~200, a little more when the crops are not in the field. I am also blessed with a 1000 yard range within an hour and twenty minutes from home. The SPS tactical's are great guns, both 223 and 308. For a while I was running a 10x on both, taking the 308 tac to 1000 many times. At 1000 yards it all depends on how big of a target you wish to shoot at. Anything smaller than MOA can be tough to make out, depending on the quality of your optics and reticle thickness. 600 yards is about as far as I go with the 223 tactical. If you are limiting yourself to 600 an 8x would get you by... and be the lowest I would go. I have scopes that go up to 32x but find myself using around 18-20 with those at 1000. So that would be my recommendation, a top end anywhere between 8-20 power. I will add, a 2.5-8x36 Leupold (or others) makes for a light, compact and handy kit with the tactical line.

I just take mine out of the safe for pictures.....you're supposed to shoot 'em?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just take mine out of the safe for pictures.....you're supposed to shoot 'em? </div></div>

You're supposed to take them out of the safe?!??

.308 400 > 1100 yard when launching into the sand dunes, 500 > 600 on steel (cant be stuffed walking the steel into the dunes) with a NF 5.5 > 22

.224 > 400 on anything, (stuffed up 500 rounds and only geting 2600 fps, oops) 4 > 12X bushnel yardage pro LRF scope

I shoot the AR to 600 and the .243 to 800. Have over a 1000 yard range but I can't hit much beyond those lines anyway. On the .243 I have an 8-32 scope but keep the power at 10 and never move it. On the AR I have a 4-12 but keep the power on 4 unless I'm doing beyond 200 and then only crank it to 10.

I shoot 100yds for groups and checking zeros.

Usually I shoot steel out here from 200-800yds

I have a savage in .300wm with a 3.2-17 USO on top.

I also have a 6.5 grendel on the way that's going to get one of the new SWFA 5-20HDs.

I find that for paper shooting the extra magnification is quite nice so you can spot you own hits but for shooting steel the 17 power on my USO is more than enough for the 800yds I shoot at.

only to 200 yards. i wish i had more. i have all the good calibers for long range. 223 7mm mag 300 mag 30-06 308 tikka just no where for long range shooting here in ny

400:( I can hardly stand not shooting long range but I found a place in the mountains at 7000ft elevation and minimal trees. I can get to 1000 yards + easily there. Looks like the perfect place. It may take some difficult hiking to get set up but it's worth it.

.223 500-1000 in F/TR, scope is a 5.5X22, use it at 22 at matches to see the rings and make needed corrections, in the desert mainly use 11 power for steel out to 900.

.308 desert steel, 300-1460 Same power and brand scope, 11 power also.

I do most of my load development at ~600. The only time I shoot 100 is for local club bench matches and I tend to shoot those at 5.5 (they have a rule that scopes can't be turned over 9) so I can see corrections (not that they're usually needed).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just take mine out of the safe for pictures.....you're supposed to shoot 'em? </div></div>

You're supposed to take them out of the safe?!?? </div></div>

Only if you are wearing white gloves.......

100-630Yds. Shooting a Sightron s3 8-32x56 usually on 24-32 power. Fclass a couple times a month at 300&600, when im out plinking I usually stick to 300 or less, though this is about to change.

100 yds for zero, load testing and dot drills. I'm lucky to have lots of open land nearby where I set up my own targets. Also a 1000 yds range with steel plates every 100 yds, starting at 300yds, out to 1000.