• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What's your Tactical Match Cartridge choice?

KPK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Oklahoma
This is a just a poll to see what all you guys like the best as far as tactical match cartridge!

Vote it up!

OK let's put some variables...

0-1,000 yds (generic I know)
Sure why not have a brake
All positions,etc.
0-10 shots...

Re: What's your Tactical Match Cartridge choice?

I'm shooting .284 right now, but if I had to choose other cartridges I'd probably roll .260 or .243

30-06.

Just cuz I like pissin off the guys with the magnums
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

Depends on the distances, rounds fired, if muzzle break is allowed, firing positions, etc.

I have really started to dig my 6x47 L. Most accurate rifle I have shot, no recoil, and makes the wind call pretty easy within 600 yrds

6.5 Creedmoor or .243.

I'm going to say that's pretty generic question without more info on course of fire.

But I'd still go with the 6XC.

Go with something in 6mm or 6.5mm. Good ballistics and minimal recoil.

The 6mm bullets are great out to 1000. If they're shot further the impacts can be difficult to see due to a lack of energy. If you plan on stretching it much past 1000, I'd step up to a 6.5mm projectile.

This is just a simple poll with simple question.

I guess you could say "generally" for tac comps, is your favorite cartridge?!

308's got it whooped right now. Is that because of factory guns and ammo or do you truly like it the best?

I voted 260ai although wouldn't hesitate running any of the 6.5s mentioned.

Another vote for .308. Not trying to "game" the competitions so I use what I train with from an LE perspective.

I voted 308 because thats what I have , I also have a 223 that is a good round for me , I have turned up to range that I have never been to before and wile talking to shooters before the match you rifle and cal choice always come up and have been told on ore that one occasion that I will not be competitive with a .223 and need something like a 260 or 6.5 as they are more efficient , the funny thing is when I am not being out shot by much and in some cases shooting better than the dicks who want to tell me I need a better rifle , they don't have much to say . not trying to say I am a expert marksmen because I am not just saying run what you got .

I wan't to build a 30-06 as well for the same reason as Doc .

Run what you have and enjoy your self .

Been shooting a 300 Win. Mag. and it works well. Really bucks wind good. Goes through barrels pretty quick though and is somewhat spendy compaired to other short actions. Going to a 260 to try it out. Seems like the 260 Rem. is really kicking arse with the club members that have gone to them. However, am going to re barrrel the 300 Win. Mag. and shoot it but not quite as much.

I'm thinking about another rifle right now. I've got a .308, 7mm SAUM, and thinking about a .260 or Creedmoor.

The 7mm is getting put together now. I'll be shooting the heck out of it soon.

On the 6.5 I'm thinking #5 or Sendero barrel, Surgeon RSR, and McMillan A1-3 or Manner T3...

6.5x47L for me thats what everyone here shoots. I have seen the wind beat the heck out of .308 guys. Not that there isn't guys out there that can't do it better but it always seems to be the guy with the .308 that cant hit s##t and then calls your 6.5 a wind cheater?????? well my target is down.....yours is calling in artillery on you. I know there are guys that can out shoot everyone with a .308 I just haven't met him. All the guys I know that could out shoot me with my own rifle couldnt beat me with a .308? so I guess I will never understand why.

Anyone messed with a 6.5SLR?

My 284 build is nearing completion. I chose it because I see it as an ideal cartridge. I cant wait to start taking advantage of those sweet sweet 7mm bullets!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 284 build is nearing completion. I chose it because I see it as an ideal cartridge. I cant wait to start taking advantage of those sweet sweet 7mm bullets! </div></div>

Sweet post pics when you get it done.

My 7SAUM is also getting built right now. I took it to my smith yesterday and he said he'd try to get it done in a few days. I don't think you can beat the 7's! I thought about a 284, but wanted a short action...may be a little much recoil though?? Either way it's a long range hunting rifle if to much recoil for comps.

You can do it all with the .308. Using the latest powders, and pushing the 155s or 180s hard, under 800 yards there's no reason to switch to anything else.

True, it's hard to beat a .260 for a low-recoil dedicated paper gun.

But I wanted a 1600 yard capable, non-magnum, easy to load and develop a load for, that transfers enough energy to steel at the longer ranges, uses the highest BC bullets and highest quality brass available, and does not burn barrels. That's the .284, which has been my match gun this year.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...586#Post2372586

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can do it all with the .308. Using the latest powders, and pushing the 155s or 180s hard, under 800 yards there's no reason to switch to anything else.

True, it's hard to beat a .260 for a low-recoil dedicated paper gun.

But I wanted a 1600 yard capable, non-magnum, easy to load and develop a load for, that transfers enough energy to steel at the longer ranges, uses the highest BC bullets and highest quality brass available, and does not burn barrels. That's the .284, which has been my match gun this year.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...586#Post2372586 </div></div>

Tell it brother...Amen!

what, no .223 love?

Dang should have added 223 and 223AI. Didn't really think about it...

i like 308, but i believe im going to do a switch barrel 30-06 and another cal. just need to save big for that one im sure it will cost more than what i have now

i did vote 308 at this time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been shooting a 300 Win. Mag. and it works well. Really bucks wind good. Goes through barrels pretty quick though and is somewhat spendy compaired to other short actions. Going to a 260 to try it out. Seems like the 260 Rem. is really kicking arse with the club members that have gone to them. However, am going to re barrrel the 300 Win. Mag. and shoot it but not quite as much. </div></div>

why do you say it going through barrels? what are u shooting and who made your barrel? buddy got one with serious rnd count and its still a moa easy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what, no .223 love?</div></div>

Because it's not a good choice for a cartridge for long range tactical matches and also some matches don't allow anything smaller than 6mm cartridges.

I've decided to stick with .308 for several reasons. Low recoil and accuracy are two of them. I shoot mostly F-class, and .308 and .223 are legal in my classification. There's also the 'one rifle, one load, all conditions' theory. I've shot my 175gr Match kings out past 1300 yards with good results. Some matches are restricted to .308/.223 calibers due to LE and .mil participation, and more matches are not allowing magnums because they damage the steel.
My current rifle shoots well, but at my skill level I'm no threat to the match winners. My two goals at matches are to finish in the top half and not embarass myself. Usually make both of them.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what, no .223 love?</div></div>

Because it's not a good choice for a cartridge for long range tactical matches and also some matches don't allow anything smaller than 6mm cartridges. </div></div>

There are really 3 fundamental issues with .223/.223AI as far as I can see....

1. Doesn't make a nice "splash" on misses
2. Tends to be hard on steel targets
3. Doesn't reach out much past 1000 yards

Otherwise, it's a fine ballistic choice, and shouldn't be immediately dismissed from consideration.

I like the .260. If I had a need for enhanced terminal performance, I'd upgrade to .30-'06, and if that didn't have the reach, I'd upgrade that to .280 Rem.

Magnums just don't do it for me; too much mayhem in the equation; and besides, I consider the .30-'06 ad .280 Rem to be at least Express, and maybe even borderline Magnum chamberings themselves.

I have no qualms about Long Actions, and for single feeding wouldn't even bother to use a long action for the '06 based chamberings. They are just fine for my purposes in a short action.

If I had to be doing fast followups, I'd be using a long action and loading my ammo to magazine lengths.

Of course, with my personal physical performance issues, this is probably a moot point for me anyway.

Greg

Up! Keep votin'''.

284 Win.
180 bergers at 2900 with 52 grains of powder is tough to beat

I'm surprised that so many voted 6.5s, which actually outnumber 308win when combined.

One more for 6.5 CM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Playerz1337</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No 7mm Rem Mag?
frown.gif
</div></div>

I have always been amazed how unpopular the 7mag has always been for long range! The 300WM enjoys popularity, but not 7RM. If it weren't for the belt on the 300, I'd blame it on that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Playerz1337</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No 7mm Rem Mag?
frown.gif
</div></div>

I have always been amazed how unpopular the 7mag has always been for long range! The 300WM enjoys popularity, but not 7RM. If it weren't for the belt on the 300, I'd blame it on that... </div></div>

funny me and my dad are squaring off tomorrow 7mm rem mag and 300 win mag we will find out

I like my 308. If you run the 155's at 2900 or quicker its not far off the 260..

6.5 Longbow

Equals the 6.5x284 and smokes the .260

139 Scenars and 142 Matchkings @ 2950 to 3000 fps, 1400 yard supersonic, recoil of a 243 Win, 308 parent case works in AICS and AW mags as well as AR-10 platforms...

Never heard of the longbow?

Guys,
When i was in So Cal i shot with a guy that ran a 243. Damn thing worked great. If i remember it was 107 grain bullets. Dunno if he is still running it. Haven't been back to shoot with the group. Spaniard ran i good match in desert.

Sota

In my many days (1 kinda tactical match)of tactical match shooting I always go with 260 Rem. In the world of internet snipers "I am kind of a big deal". In the world of real snipers at the tactical match I shot in I was the biggest there (in size only).

260 in 1k matches
338 in 1k +