• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Maggie’s What's Your View II

1547521168545.png

I grew mine out for 5 months once. Jacked with my cheek weld.
Also got pulled pretty hard going one on one with a tweaker before help arrived.
I keep it trimmed pretty well now.

Momma likes it better. No big deal to me either way

2A
I am always happy to learn. Teach away.

My biggest concern was I was quoted 1 price and the told another when it was very clear how long it took.
The only reason I had them do it was time. The price of the labor vs my time without experience to do it was worth it. At 2.5 hrs billed labor it would not have been.

Should we start using “book times” to bill for medical procedures?

And your stuff about judging and being like an anti gunner is BS and you know it.
There is an extremely big difference in God given rights and business practices.

You are an honest and upstanding guy. You share your knowledge on many things here and its appreciated.
And you know of a ton of guys in your profession who aren't upstanding or honest.
Easy there buddy.
lets address issues, might seem out of order. My mind works that way sometimes so give me a chance.
1st 1.8hrs on T-stat was based on a 2007 GL450 that I work on quite a bit and has a very similar engine bay. I couldn't see the "V6" on the engine cover on my phone this morning. GL450 is a V8 but otherwise the engine cover looks identical and the air intake tubes are pretty close.

Book time on C300 0.7 hrs.

Short story is @Geno C. Gave a very good description of labor times.

Times are actually done by the factory and are published as "warranty" time. Alldata and On-demand (Mitchell) add 20-30% to the factory times for aftermarket or out of warranty repairs. This is done for a couple of reasons for the aftermarket shops and the OEM dealers don't want to leave money on the table so they use it also. The reasons are that aftermarket shops generally work on higher mileage vehicles with more rust/corrosion and incidentals. The other is when you work on a Chevy cruze one day, a Volvo s60 the next and a Honda Accord the next you can never get super efficent because there is very little day to day repetition.

Since I left the dealer 7 years ago I rarely beat time on a non-ford vehicle and never on the first time. I can't tell you how many times I have done a job. And never done another. So I never get a chance to beat time.

My situation is very very unique and I don't really need to beat time.

To your situation (and anyone reading this). If you were quoted a price then it should be honored unless extenuating circumstances could be proven. I mean if you get quoted 6 hours for an engine and it is supposed to be 16, you have to know 6 was to low.

As far as times go it is always a fight. I know how Ford does theirs and so I can give more detail. I would imagine other OEMs are about the same. Ford has a shop with various experienced techs who do "repairs" and help write the manuals. My understanding is the vehicles are not actually broken, but if the day calls for engine removal on a Explorer then 5-10 engines are removed and reinstalled. The time is what Ford believes that a Tech with 5-7 years of experience can do the job in, after doing the job 5 times. A 10 year tech might get it 1st or 2nd try.
Since all you work on is Ford vehicles their contention is you will loose at first but repetition will make you get ahead in the long run. There is also a tenth or 2 for for paper work, test drive Etc...

A set of glow plugs on a 7.3 powerstroke pays 2.4 hours. That is pull the truck in, test the system, remove both valve covers, replace all 8 glow plugs and reassemble engine, retest system, test drive and complete paper work.
After doing 100's if not 1000's and making a couple tools to help I can do them in 45 minutes. Am I ripping people off, I don't think so.
In the 25 years I worked as the dealer I only got 4 raises, if you want to make more you had to become more efficient. And there was no minimum wage guarantee.
My current situation allows me to do what I want (with in reason). 3 days before Christmas, I gave a glowplug job away to one of my best customers who is a Vietnam Vet (flew Helicopters, not sure if that makes him Army or Marine, by the sounds of it he flew my Uncle around. My Uncle is/was a Marine. But that is not how I met my customer, it just turns out to be a small world). When he came to pick it I told him his bill was $0.00 Merry Christmas.

Back to fighting for labor times. In the late 90's early 2000's there was a suspension recall on the Crown Victoria. The day prior to the recall the job payed 8.6 hours. The day the recall was announced, Ford dropped the time to 4.1hrs. Beings that the recall was for over 400,000 vehicles it was estimated Ford saved 1.8 million labor hours for a value of over $150,000,000. Ford claimed that there were so many that eventually you would make time. I never did one, but we had 3 techs who did most the suspension work and I am pretty sure none of them ever beat time on that recall.
The next quarter Alldata and On-demand both cut their time on the job, so in effect Ford fucked every Tech in the nation. 18ish years later the time still stands. I heard about 300 techs back east got together and tried to sue Ford over that one.

I don't know of a better way to do time. Do you want to pay a 2 year tech double because he is slower. The system rewards good efficient techs. Just think if the DMV was run this way. Or the Highway Dept in your state, pot holes would be repaired a lot faster.

I have 100's of stories, some win some loose.

My statement of Anti-gun vs gun owner had nothing to do with personal right vs business. I am not sure what you do (any of you except a couple) but I would imagine that an outsider would not understand your job without living it, doing it or tagging a long and learning about it.
I find most of the Anti-gun people to be ignorant of guns, having not lived it, not done it nor ever tagged along and learned about it. They judge from a position of ignorance. That is true a lot in life, my wife is a teacher, my mom was a teacher yet I see a lot of teacher bashing on here. Walk a mile in their shoes.

"book time" for medical procedures would have some positives. Body shops have it the worst as the insurance industry controls heavily what they can charge. The medical industry/insurance needs more competition. I have to go to certain hospitals and certain DRs so I am a captive audience. I should be able to take my insurance anywhere. But that is a discussion for another thread.

And as for your statement of " you know of a ton of guys in your profession who aren't upstanding or honest". Uhm yea ALL OF THEM. I have worked with or know a couple hundred techs and I trust 2, the rest are just above used car salesmen. If I die I have made arrangement with the 2 to take care of my wife and and daughter vehicle wise.

In a few ways, my attitude today is trying to make up for sins from my 20's.

PS all that was kind of vague/general, any questions from anyone just ask.

Last edited:
Good clarification and thanks for the education. It makes some sense. Im a bit dense, so I will read it again later.

I used a "specialty" shop for hybrids. my main mechanic who I trust implicitly said he wasn't comfortable working on the hybrids even though he had taken the class. Those guys were jerks, won't ever use them again, no matter what. I dont care how good you are, if you are that big of an ass, I dont need to do business with you. I actually doubt the book time on that job was 2.5 hrs. I have been wrong and dont think I am on that one.

My mechanic's honesty is why I like him. He told me once he always liked working on my vehicles because I never wanted the cheap route, only the correct route.

I have used him for 14 years for everything else except one cv joint. Paid more that time, but the mechanic was honest, got it done in a day, and doesn't live an hour away.

My mechanic and I have a good deal. He charges me time for what he actually does. He quotes me book just in case. I have only paid it once, for an engine swap, usually always under.

One time, he tried to die. I happened to be there and the most skilled of folks in the room at cardiac emergencies (how I started my career as a nurse was in cards) and I saved his ass. He was my friend and mechanic before that, it just got a little sweeter after.

2A, your story about hooking a Nam vet up for Christmas made me smile like the kids walking by a candy store. We all did dumb stuff when we were young, heck, I still do from time to time...... Good on ya man.

And now I know you are a nurse. Grandma was a nurse for almost 40 years.

Good clarification and thanks for the education. It makes some sense. Im a bit dense, so I will read it again later.

I used a "specialty" shop for hybrids. my main mechanic who I trust implicitly said he wasn't comfortable working on the hybrids even though he had taken the class. Those guys were jerks, won't ever use them again, no matter what. I dont care how good you are, if you are that big of an ass, I dont need to do business with you. I actually doubt the book time on that job was 2.5 hrs. I have been wrong and dont think I am on that one.

My mechanic's honesty is why I like him. He told me once he always liked working on my vehicles because I never wanted the cheap route, only the correct route.

I have used him for 14 years for everything else except one cv joint. Paid more that time, but the mechanic was honest, got it done in a day, and doesn't live an hour away.

My mechanic and I have a good deal. He charges me time for what he actually does. He quotes me book just in case. I have only paid it once, for an engine swap, usually always under.

One time, he tried to die. I happened to be there and the most skilled of folks in the room at cardiac emergencies (how I started my career as a nurse was in cards) and I saved his ass. He was my friend and mechanic before that, it just got a little sweeter after.

2A, your story about hooking a Nam vet up for Christmas made me smile like the kids walking by a candy store. We all did dumb stuff when we were young, heck, I still do from time to time...... Good on ya man.

I don’t know what they were shooting. Consistent hits on a 12” at 2400 would be doubtful from my experience...

This one will have a 50moa rail under a 5-25 ATACR
A NF that close to Middleton? The locals might run you out of Wisco with torches and pitchforks ?. I’ll try and hold ‘em off long enough from DeForrest for you to make a hasty retreat ?

A NF that close to Middleton? The locals might run you out of Wisco with torches and pitchforks ?. I’ll try and hold ‘em off long enough from DeForrest for you to make a hasty retreat ?
You don’t have to go very far north and you’ll run into red blooded Americans. All the commies are concentrated in the madison area

They moved their whole operation to Barneveld. Away from all the filthy hippies and prying eyes of the liberals. Rolling hills, farm fields and easy highway access at the new digs.

Reactions: Geno C.
He chastised you for using nightforce so close to vortex hq, which is now in Barneveld. Or I’m a moron. Call it a toss up.
I was just teasing that he was bringing a NF right square into the middle of Vortex country and you picked up on that. Didn’t realize they had moved out of Middleton, but can’t say that I blame them. They didn’t move far though, just down 151 a bit.

I was just teasing that he was bringing a NF right square into the middle of Vortex country and you picked up on that. Didn’t realize they had moved out of Middleton, but can’t say that I blame them. They didn’t move far though, just down 151 a bit.

Middleton (Madison) to Barneveld = California to Montana when it comes to 2A.

Reactions: Geno C.
My range has turned that funny color again. More on the way Friday and Saturday followed by bitter cold.
View attachment 7005440

U track the critter that left the tracks in your yard ? ??
Gonna let him get away with disturbing your fine landscaping work ? ?
Hard as u have to work to get that white grass that smooth, just sayin..

U track the critter that left the tracks in your yard ? ??
Gonna let him get away with disturbing your fine landscaping work ? ?
Hard as u have to work to get that white grass that smooth, just sayin..
:) Those are Miss Lori's tracks headed over to the hard maple tree that has her tree rat feeder on it. I'll give her a pass :)

Let’s play, “Why the XMV lost power”......can you find the bad pair of 12v black and whites? But let’s not forget that it’s cold and blowing and you need to keep your gloves off while you trouble shoot....

View attachment 7005698

Was just looking for some sort of transformer or voltage regulator but I can't seem to find one. Hmm, that might suck, for you!

Let’s play, “Why the XMV lost power”......can you find the bad pair of 12v black and whites? But let’s not forget that it’s cold and blowing and you need to keep your gloves off while you trouble shoot....

View attachment 7005698
Showed this to the Misses and she nailed it. She said, “It’s that one wire next to the black thing that goes into that deal that makes a squeaky sound...”

Bender,
Look at Manzella gore windstopper gloves.
good dexterity, keep that freeze the skin wind off your hands.

Where I was a volunteer fireman, we had hellacious winds. turn your nose white in a couple minutes in the winter kind of windchill. They saved my hands being outside in that when I didn't need serious gloves for fire or extrication work.
Once was on a full tanker that overturned, ruptured and was spilling diesel (which was promptly making a mound of gel as it oozed out....) We had the freeway closed for 8 hrs and one of the news truck's weather station plugged our windchill at -154F at one point as we were having >100mph gusts. Was also -20.
Dang I miss those days.....

The roads were covered in black ice, ground blizzard conditions. Per the big rig driver who crashed, the wind was pushing him off course when he got his front tires off the side and rolled.
Earlier that night on another call before this crash, the 10k lb truck I drove a lot for the fire dept was pushed sideways a good bit by one of those gusts on the ice. I got back to the station and put chains on.

so cold, took 3 days to find my little buddy.......

Bender,
Look at Manzella gore windstopper gloves.
good dexterity, keep that freeze the skin wind off your hands.

Where I was a volunteer fireman, we had hellacious winds. turn your nose white in a couple minutes in the winter kind of windchill. They saved my hands being outside in that when I didn't need serious gloves for fire or extrication work.
Once was on a full tanker that overturned, ruptured and was spilling diesel (which was promptly making a mound of gel as it oozed out....) We had the freeway closed for 8 hrs and one of the news truck's weather station plugged our windchill at -154F at one point as we were having >100mph gusts. Was also -20.
Dang I miss those days.....

-154F - Fuck a bunch of that! I'm freezing below 60F, but I do great in 100F + weather!

Has been around 112 -115F most of the time around here lately and generally gets warmer the next few weeks. Going to hurt when we visit you guys next month.

Waddya mean "hurt" ?.........

Jesus, are you implying you like it that hot ?

Just bring and wear jackets @ 65 F. You'll fit right in with the "Furnians"......Us Washtonians don't even think of putting on jackets until 30 F, or below. Above that, it's T-shirts, shorts and Jerusalem Cruisers.....Snowing, or not. :cool::cool::cool: