• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Maggie’s What's Your View II

Robert Gould Shaw lead a black Regiment (54th Massachusetts) when no other officer would.

He died fighting at Fort wagner Sc leading his troops.

After the battle the Confederates returned the bodies of the dead Union officers except for RG Shaw.

They threw him in a Mass grave with his Troops with purpose.

Though intended as an insult it was viewed as an honor to be buried with his men.

Great movie about this , Glory, with Matthew Broderick as Shaw.

Ball joints and wheel bearings replaced! Still a little wet out on the grasslands...

My buddy talked me into painting some eyebrows on... :)

30771801_10156090882955631_1056957278_o.jpg

Reactions: Barneybdb
Reactions: oneshot86
Walking out the door in minutes headed for The Constitution

Come back through the North End. It will be busy in there tonight with the nice weather, good people watching.

Pick a hole in the wall restaurant for good Italian food, than hit a coffee shop for some loaded coffee apertifs. Mikes Bakery will be jammed with people stuffing their sucks.

Great Pizza at Pizzeria Regina but the line will be huge most likely.

Mike, that is extremely beautiful! You are one fortunate man my friend. And yes, jealous again. Just beautiful!
Hey guys, been trying to post all weekend, I guess the celluar data sucks on the river. just got home and wanted to thank everyone for the kind words. Im very fortunate, humbled and grateful especially gor my family and friends. We all know that material possessions are both fleeting and superficial. IMO a mans wealth is measured by his family and friends. Im not here that long, but I can see that most of us are all fortunate and blessed, most certainly for our family and friends! In the short time I've been here, I've come to consider you fellas both extended family and friends.:)
Mike
Being way too serious, gotta get to the funny threads to see what you demented bastiges posted!!! :ROFLMAO:

Beautiful! The porch is the best. I’d love to sit out there on a summer evening with the lightning flying and the thunder rolling, cold one in my hand. Glad to be on the ground and not up in it.
Lots of scotch, beer, bourbon ,cigars and various food items are consumed and smoked on that porch! Best room in the house, there's always a chair for you fellas if your ever in the area!
Mike

Beautiful place @Mike 556 , I bet that river is loaded with bronze backs?!!
Mostly brown trout, some rainbows. About 15 to 20 miles lower on the main river you start getting into some good smallmouth fishing. Up where I'm at, we're only about 5 miles below the Cannonsville reservoir , its a bottom release and the water very seldom goes above 64 degrees. Perfect trout habitat!
Mike

Reactions: 1J04 and Barneybdb
Come back through the North End. It will be busy in there tonight with the nice weather, good people watching.

Pick a hole in the wall restaurant for good Italian food, than hit a coffee shop for some loaded coffee apertifs. Mikes Bakery will be jammed with people stuffing their sucks.

Great Pizza at Pizzeria Regina but the line will be huge most likely.

Already accomplished. The missus lives in the North End around the corner from Mikes and Regina. There was a line around the corner the other night but living in the neighborhood she just called in our order and we picked it up in 25 mins. I'm already known by name at Durty Nelly's.

IMG_2382.JPG

The line at Regina Pizzeria the other night. Best damn pie I've ever had.

Very nice Bogey. Beautiful pics and so much history. I never made it any further NE than Charleston when I was stationed on the East side. I regret that. Like I said, enjoy your time, and honestly, you two make one helluva a couple. ;)

This is the furthest north up this coast for me as well. Prior to this trip it had been the D.C. area.

Just got back from The Constitution

IMG_2407.JPG
IMG_2408.JPG
IMG_2410.JPG
IMG_2411.JPG

I really appreciated that there was no charge to tour her, and that the on-board guides are still active duty Navy. That's got to be a helluva duty station for a young sailor.

Already accomplished. The missus lives in the North End around the corner from Mikes and Regina. There was a line around the corner the other night but living in the neighborhood she just called in our order and we picked it up in 25 mins. I'm already known by name at Durty Nelly's.

View attachment 6896711
The line at Regina Pizzeria the other night. Best damn pie I've ever had.

Looks like the couple ahead of you are regulars.......

Reactions: 1J04
This is the furthest north up this coast for me as well. Prior to this trip it had been the D.C. area.

View attachment 6896712View attachment 6896713View attachment 6896714View attachment 6896715

I really appreciated that there was no charge to tour her, and that the on-board guides are still active duty Navy. That's got to be a helluva duty station for a young sailor.

My kids and I signed our names on a copper plate below the waterline.

When they were refurbing the hull they laid the sheets of copper out in the museum for all comers to electro pencil their names, greetings or whatever on the copper plates.

Last edited:
My kids signed their names are on a copper plate below the waterline.

When they were refurbing the hull they laid the sheets of copper out in the museum for all comers to electro pencil their names, greetings or whatever on the copper plates.

Now THAT is awesome. They really seem to make it a point to keep it easy and accessible. We got caught up in about 5 school groups, which made it tough to really enjoy to the fullest, but still a great outing.

View attachment 6896712I really appreciated that there was no charge to tour her, and that the on-board guides are still active duty Navy. That's got to be a helluva duty station for a young sailor.

Great shots.

I did loads of business trips on the NE coast in the 90's. We'd typically fly into Boston, puddle jump to Maine then rent a car and do our stops on the way back. A 3 week trip could result in +10 pounds easy, even if hitting the gym daily.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barneybdb and 1J04
Great shots.

I did loads of business trips on the NE coast in the 90's. We'd typically fly into Boston, puddle jump to Maine then rent a car and do our stops on the way back. A 3 week trip could result in +10 pounds easy, even if hitting the gym daily.

I think Portland Maine has the best concentration of top rated restaurants of any place I have traveled.

Ignore the politics enjoy the food.

Spent the afternoon crossing a few things off the honey-do list and getting lined out for the new job tomorrow. About 6pm the wind went to almost dead calm, time for the range. Brought out two of the favorite sticks. This one is my #1 little furry killer.

P4220001.JPG

1990's R700 all trued up, 24" Douglas 5A twisted 12", chambered in .222 Mag. All built in 1998. Scope is a old Leo M8-12X, stock came from Holland Shooting supply. This thing has always shot well from day one. Current load is a stiff dose of 8208 with a hand made 49.5 varmint bullet. Running around 3,550 fps. Wish I had a dollar for every gopher, P. dog and other varmints slain with this rig.

Also brought the .243 RPR.

P4220004.JPG

I've given up shooting this thing @ 100 yds. Running the 108 Bergers at 2,950, they must have a little VLD flavor. 100 yards groups suck, but at 300 everything settles down, turns into a real shooter. The Vortex Gen II is working O.K., planning on changing out the rings this summer. Second LRI barrel. Shooting was very limited this winter, it always take me 200-300 rounds to get back in shooting shape.

Best 5 shot group out of 20 rds. with the Maggie. Quarter, tactical snuff box and deceased golf ball for reference. Whoever thought putting a golf driving range next to a rifle range must not have been a shooter.

P4220011.JPG

Had to share the range with these two.

P4220006.JPG

Two nesting pairs are making their homes on the backstop. Very surprised they let me get this close, they let me know quite vocally I was close enough.

Snow is mostly gone, hit 62 today, farmers should be stirring up dust in the next 10 days or so, barring any much needed rain. Just another quiet day in Upper Dakota.

Spent the afternoon crossing a few things off the honey-do list and getting lined out for the new job tomorrow. About 6pm the wind went to almost dead calm, time for the range. Brought out two of the favorite sticks. This one is my #1 little furry killer.

View attachment 6896835

1990's R700 all trued up, 24" Douglas 5A twisted 12", chambered in .222 Mag. All built in 1998. Scope is a old Leo M8-12X, stock came from Holland Shooting supply. This thing has always shot well from day one. Current load is a stiff dose of 8208 with a hand made 49.5 varmint bullet. Running around 3,550 fps. Wish I had a dollar for every gopher, P. dog and other varmints slain with this rig.

Also brought the .243 RPR.

View attachment 6896839

I've given up shooting this thing @ 100 yds. Running the 108 Bergers at 2,950, they must have a little VLD flavor. 100 yards groups suck, but at 300 everything settles down, turns into a real shooter. The Vortex Gen II is working O.K., planning on changing out the rings this summer. Second LRI barrel. Shooting was very limited this winter, it always take me 200-300 rounds to get back in shooting shape.

Best 5 shot group out of 20 rds. with the Maggie. Quarter, tactical snuff box and deceased golf ball for reference. Whoever thought putting a golf driving range next to a rifle range must not have been a shooter.

View attachment 6896841

Had to share the range with these two.

View attachment 6896845

Two nesting pairs are making their homes on the backstop. Very surprised they let me get this close, they let me know quite vocally I was close enough.

Snow is mostly gone, hit 62 today, farmers should be stirring up dust in the next 10 days or so, barring any much needed rain. Just another quiet day in Upper Dakota.
That’s a good day right there. Comfortable temps too (finally).

Don't ever run from one of those big bastards, they WON'T give up once they got you on the run! When I was a kid I got my ass handed to me by a big ass swan at the park... Been wary of 'em ever since! Lucky they don't have teeth or much for claws.

I think Portland Maine has the best concentration of top rated restaurants of any place I have traveled.

Ignore the politics enjoy the food.

Damn right. Portland was our main Maine hub for those trips, so I got to know the restaurants well. The coastline is pretty amazing scenery too.

Damn right. Portland was our main Maine hub for those trips, so I got to know the restaurants well. The coastline is pretty amazing scenery too.

Lots of history in that harbor.

I took the mail cruise and was amazed by the coastal gun fortifications that ring it.

One of the bigger Liberty ship building yards during WWII was there.

When you get in the middle of the bay you realize how big it is and apparently it was deep enough that a lot of ships staged there before heading across to Europe in WWII.

Neat place, makes me want to schedule another 4 day weekend.

Reactions: Monk Medic
Sent this to @Veer_G coming in this morning as I was complaining about the morning rush hour traffic. Thank Gawd I've got a lot of patience. :LOL:

Yesterday as I was heading home South, the North bound traffic was absolutely horrendous. I seen more vehicles yesterday than I do in literally 6 months. Literally. We got Clam Tides going on so everyone was coming back outta the Long Beach Peninsula. Caravans 30-40-50 vehicles. Wanted to snag some video since I had NOBODY within sight in front of me but just a stream of people coming at me. o_O Makes for an odd environment.

1524497081555.png

Ran over to a friends place who's harboring another friend that just sold his house and heading back to Nova Scotia. Our friend Chad and his Woof Dogs are heading out and will be missed. Squared away guy that was always game to help out in the community. Might be the last time I get to listen to his Dogs during their evening howl........:cry:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My little Katie laying down some "House of the Rising Sun" by the campfire in Nashville the other night.

If all goes as planned, she'll be here at the house in a few weeks for a massive family and friends get together, but we'll be in Nashville the week before to see U2 with the kid. She's never been a BIG show like that. Should be a ton of fun!

My little Katie laying down some "House of the Rising Sun" by the campfire in Nashville the other night.

If all goes as planned, she'll be here at the house in a few weeks for a massive family and friends get together, but we'll be in Nashville the week before to see U2 with the kid. She's never been a BIG show like that. Should be a ton of fun!

Saw U2 in downtown Seattle, in the Astor Park nightclub, March 23, 1981. Club was legal for 250 or so people, I think there were 500 or 600 people there. I was a soundman (not working the show), so I knew all the "people to know" and not only got in, but got in for free. Jeez, we used to party back then.....They played the Paramount (~2500 seats) the next night. I worked the show as a Stagehand. Worked the Police @ the "Mount" when they were breaking out, right around the same time.....maybe a year or two earlier. So long ago can't remember timing....doesn't matter.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/u2-back-to-basics-vital-as-ever/

Was reading the article about some of U2's subsequent shows......and the notation(s) about distractions. Have recently warmed back up to Peter Gabriel. Some of the stuff I've been watching lately is just mesmerizing.

Love the VariLights on the Booms;

Paula Cole, Whatta Cutie and a set of pipes to match;

Thats a awesome rendition of that song!! I could listen to that around the campfire all night!

@THEIS , those are nice pics that remind me how much I don't miss that part of the world. As I was sitting in ATL yesterday I was thinking of how great it was to not be waiting for that all night flight to Dubai.

LOL @bogeybrown that direct flight to Dubai from IAH on Emirates is not a bad flight lolol.
You just have to get this seat or business class.
Lucky for me I get to fly it monthly....

View attachment 6897456
I used to be able to fly that trip on Emirates, then the gov mandated that we use US carriers, so we got stuck on Delta. That's a whole different proposition for 13 hours or whatever it is that that flight took.

I also switched my preference from window, where I could sleep better, to aisle where I was free to get up and walk around whenever I needed to.