• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Maggie’s What's Your View II

Fast forward 3 days later. Mud is cured. Probably 700 lbs of material in that hole. Set the pole (it’s perfectly plumb ?), and raise our flag.

ED0F1966-A85D-4F2B-820F-711BF8F4110B.jpeg
D8CF533B-B9C0-425B-9122-B95233ACD2B1.jpeg

Tnichols
My main shooting buddies neighbor just put one of those in. He has solar lightson the top to light her up all night every night.

Always figured to put in a solid pole, will be looking into one of these shortly.
Not sure when I will be living in a new place and its not too far off. Already told momma its needs to be there and she smiled and said ok.

Tnichols
My main shooting buddies neighbor just put one of those in. He has solar lightson the top to light her up all night every night.

Always figured to put in a solid pole, will be looking into one of these shortly.
Not sure when I will be living in a new place and its not too far off. Already told momma its needs to be there and she smiled and said ok.

Yes sir, that is our plan as well. Solar LED on the top.

It's more fun in the side of the highway in holiday traffic...

Yes it is. Been there more than once.
I had a tire one time on side of the road I just couldn’t get the bead to seat. POS Goodyear. I tried everything possible. My only options were to drive 40 miles back to the shop while the driver waits on me, or.....option 2. I chose option 2.
I laid the tire/wheel on the ground, sprayed ether inside the tire, all the way around, hooked the air hose to it, stepped back ant threw a lit match in it. BOOM!! That tire jumped about 4-5 feet straight up, but when it came down, the bead was seated, and the air hose was filling it up. I made the driver swear to secrecy.

A brief view of a project I’ve chipped away at over the last few days. Aluminum telescopic flag pole project. Start by hand digging a 2’ diameter x 3’ deep hole with a heat index of 105+. I know, wait until it cools off a bit, but I’ve always been a “what the hell, get it done” sort. It’s fun to see how quick you can soak a shirt ?

View attachment 6920453

I'm impressed. If I were to dig a three ft hole it would look like a bomb went off.

That's some great looking soil though! Around here I'd have to hire a well driller to get a hold like that. Red clay and rocks. Fun thing about rocks is that you never know if the one you just hit is the size of a golf ball or the size of a golf bag.
What makes it so dark looking - limestone?

Yes it is. Been there more than once.
I had a tire one time on side of the road I just couldn’t get the bead to seat. POS Goodyear. I tried everything possible. My only options were to drive 40 miles back to the shop while the driver waits on me, or.....option 2. I chose option 2.
I laid the tire/wheel on the ground, sprayed ether inside the tire, all the way around, hooked the air hose to it, stepped back ant threw a lit match in it. BOOM!! That tire jumped about 4-5 feet straight up, but when it came down, the bead was seated, and the air hose was filling it up. I made the driver swear to secrecy.
I do them in the side of the road all the time. They all come off the rim pretty easy because they are hot but getting some on are a bitch. My father in law is usually in the back of he pack with me and had never used starting fluid to seat a bead before. I use it all the time. Never throw a match though. I always have one poor bastard hold the hose and I have a pretty good idea about how much to use based on the size of the tire. You use a lighter and spray can like a torch to light the tire. Works every time!

That's some great looking soil though! Around here I'd have to hire a well driller to get a hold like that. Red clay and rocks. Fun thing about rocks is that you never know if the one you just hit is the size of a golf ball or the size of a golf bag.
What makes it so dark looking - limestone?

I’d have to look at the soil maps for our particular area to give you the exact soil type name. I’m no expert, but it’s what was left behind the glacial scrape/flow as they passed through. We do sit on limestone bedrock. In the pics, the road, driveway, and the material in the hole is crushed limestone. It’s easy to quarry, relatively soft, and plentiful here.

Fabricated a jig to hold the PVC sleeve plumb while crushed rock and cement went in the hole.

View attachment 6920454

Tnichols, if your getting the concrete on a short load from the plant have them send it with fiber mesh. If your mixing it yourself carry on and nice job on the forms.?

Appears my dumb ass hadn’t flipped forward? nice job amigo. Poly sleeve should help with the moisture and a bead of Sikaflex should keep the water out of the sleeve.

Last edited:
Reactions: jungle45 and 1J04
my view yesterday...

Humpback whale breaching just north of Campbell River, BC on Vancouver Island.

View attachment 6920611View attachment 6920612

Grew up kinda across from there a bit in Sekiu. Was always fun watching them and the Orca's while out on the water until the Killer Whales would start tugging on Salmon on the Downriggers n Tag Lines on our Troller. :oops: Last few years the Humpbacks have been entering the Columbia and coming up as far as the Astoria/Megler Bridge. There ain't squat for water in the lower Columbia except for the ship channel they have to dredge all the time. Crazy.

Josh-Bessex-Humpback-0139.jpg

AR-150929943.jpg&MaxW=600

View attachment 6920663Well, here is the 3rd one. They always come in 3s the second was on the helicopter center again. Same type of bulge that we had earlier this year. Didn't grab a pic of that obe

Sorry you're going through this buddy. Hopefully you're done with "THIS" issue for a bit now that this is numero 3. Fingers crossed ya got smooth sailing for a bit now !!

Reactions: RNWRKNP
Sorry you're going through this buddy. Hopefully you're done with "THIS" issue for a bit now that this is numero 3. Fingers crossed ya got smooth sailing for a bit now !!
Thanks. It's the heat. This is our longest jump of the year and the roads are pretty hot. Just part of life for me. We run most of our stuff pretty close to the weight rating.

Thanks.

My son has been working with Rammed Earth building for 4-5 years now and this was the first time I got to look at one in person. Looks like you need a wallet as thick as the walls to make this happen.
Or you could go the route my dad did, he built his retirement home out of rammed earth in Belize where his money went twice as far. However I think the walls in your pictures look twice as cool compared to my old mans.

Reactions: Barneybdb
View attachment 6920663Well, here is the 3rd one. They always come in 3s the second was on the helicopter center again. Same type of bulge that we had earlier this year. Didn't grab a pic of that obe

Thanks. It's the heat. This is our longest jump of the year and the roads are pretty hot. Just part of life for me. We run most of our stuff pretty close to the weight rating.

Dang-it Geno. That sucks. And those GY tires ain’t cheap.

I was going to say the same thing about the heat. It’s unforgiving if your tires are even a little bit low. We checked our tires every day.
Same with cars. This heat is murder on tires, and if your tires are low, the flexing generates even more heat.

View attachment 6920687Fuck it! Let's start day drinkin!!

A German friend of mine always said: "Geez, have a couple of beers before breakfast and everyone calls you an alcoholic."

A cliff close to my home had a route named "Morning Beers". The rite of manhood was to chug 3 beers before breakfast then lead it onsight. The crux was not super well protected with gear of the era when I did exactly that. It was a somewhat religious experience.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Only 4:30 here but I think it's time to crack a brew. Cheers!

Quick evening outing so the kids could watch ball instead of play it. Quad City River Bandits (a single A affiliate of the Houston Astros). Affordable, great food, nice park, etc... A bit sultry this evening but they had fun.

14C7ADD2-509E-42C6-B12D-1A16846EB05A.jpeg
C6F3A682-EE5A-403F-B398-9E61623FEE05.jpeg

Quick evening outing so the kids could watch ball instead of play it. Quad City River Bandits (a single A affiliate of the Houston Astros). Affordable, great food, nice park, etc... A bit sultry this evening but they had fun.

View attachment 6920846View attachment 6920847

I love minor league ball. We used to have a Giants AA team here in Shreveport, the Captains. I loved to go to the ball game.

Looks like a great evening and a good looking family tnichols.

A German friend of mine always said: "Geez, have a couple of beers before breakfast and everyone calls you an alcoholic."

A cliff close to my home had a route named "Morning Beers". The rite of manhood was to chug 3 beers before breakfast then lead it onsight. The crux was not super well protected with gear of the era when I did exactly that. It was a somewhat religious experience.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Only 4:30 here but I think it's time to crack a brew. Cheers!
b30.jpg

If you buy this its always Beer:30