• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firearms When Buying A Firearm

Josh1978

1 Mile
Minuteman
May 19, 2020
KS
When buying a firearm from an individual, what is the process for getting the gun shipped from state to state? Does the seller have to take the gun to a FFL and then they ship it to my FFL?
Thanks in advance, Josh

Depends on your FFL and state laws. I would ask your FFL if he will accept from an individual. Many will, some will not.

Reactions: Josh1978
check with the FFL you will be receiving from as they will be most knowledgeable on local laws. In many cases, FFL's will accept a firearm from an individual out of state

This is not completely true. Many FFL dealers will accept from an individual and the seller can drop it off at the post office in person. Just depends on state laws and the ffl.

If crossing state lines the firearms must be shipped to an FFL. Many FFLs will accept shipments from an individual (non-FFL). You should ask your FFL that will be handling the transfer whether or not they will receive from an individual.

Depending on the Gun Shop that the Buyer uses to receive the firearm.

Most FFL dealers will accept a Long Gun from a Private Seller as long as they include a copy of their Drivers License with a note for who the Long Gun is being sold to along with Serial Number. Once the Long Gun arrives the FFL Dealer will do the Transfer to the new owner for a small fee, normally $25-$50 dollars depending on the FFL Dealer.

I choose not to do the FFL to FFL method. The reason is because I have actually witnessed a FFL dealer that received a Long Gun on a Friday afternoon but didn't get it shipped out, and then the FFL Dealer was at a local gun range with the Rifle that was suppose to be shipped out on Saturday the next day putting a couple hundred rounds thru the Rifle....WTF!!!! I will never ship FFL to FFL or have a gun shipped to me from the seller shipped FFL to FFL.

OP, have you contacted an FFL holder with this question?

I will contact them in the morning. The are closed on Sunday.

Some of you should read the ATF FAQ page.

There are many variables OP. Long gun or pistol? Bordering state? Many other variables. Best to go to your FFL and ask them.

Some of you should read the ATF FAQ page.

There are many variables OP. Long gun or pistol? Bordering state? Many other variables. Best to go to your FFL and ask them.

I think they quietly removed the bordering states allowance recently. I haven't been able to find that provision lately, though I know I saw it in the past as long as the two state's individual laws allowed it. If you know where it's allowance is written please share.

I guess I never knew state lines had much to do with transferring weapons under Federal Law. If I want to ship a rifle from Kansas City Missouri to an individual in St Louis Missouri, I still have to ship it to an FFL for transfer. I am pretty sure that if it needs to be shipped, it has to go to an FFL.

I guess I never knew state lines had much to do with transferring weapons under Federal Law. If I want to ship a rifle from Kansas City Missouri to an individual in St Louis Missouri, I still have to ship it to an FFL for transfer. I am pretty sure that if it needs to be shipped, it has to go to an FFL.
Is that a MO law? That's not a federal law.

*not a lawyer.

If YOU, an individual, is selling a firearm and it crosses ownership to another state...it MUST SHIP to a FFL... If it is a handgun...IT MUST BE SHIPPED to FFL and it must be done using at least UPS 2nd Day...FFLs can use USPS Priority for handgun shipping but we individuals CANNOT...if it is a rifle and your state allows long guns to be purchases at bordering state FFLs...your buyer...can do it at your FFL...but you must check in the rifle with your FFL.

Pretty much the only way legally most state allow individual firearms sales without a FFL is when both the buyer and seller resides in the same state...but of course some states do not allow that either and all firearm sales must be through a FFL.

To avoid all confusion on matters like this...find a good FFL that is responsive and has good rates and do all transactions via FFL...honestly...it is a small premium to pay to keep things nice and clean.

If you are shipping as individual... use shipmygun.com ...

Reactions: Zap_Rowsdower
What is the best and safest way to pay for a handgun that is being shipped?

you for got the part of signing over your first born male child , and your soul lol if you want ammo or was I the only one who signed that blood pact lol.