• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When did dope become an acronym?

gunsnjeeps

Retired Swab Jockey
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
Norfolk, Va
So we've been doping wind and doping sights for as long as I have been shooting.

Was it the Marines or the Army that decided that DOPE was an acronym sometime around 2000 ish?

It was called DOPE when i was in the Army back in the early 90s

Maybe it's one of the few words that rather coming from the military to be a common term in the broader population it was something in the vernacular and the military adopted it but had to militarize it into an acronym.

The use of the word “dope” to mean “information” traces back to the 19th century. It is most reasonable to suggest that shooters were using “dope” in this sense long before the military created an acronym.

It was in common use long ago. Read it in range reports from the 1940's. Might be older than that.

Reactions: Jack_L
So data on previous engagement sounds older than the 90's possibly 40's. Guess the story I heard about making up an acronym so they could keep the word dope was bull.

A lot of this stuff dates back well over 100 years. The first use of how we think of wind meters pre-dates WW1. In WW1 they would scavenge the air speed indicators off downed planes and use them to measure wind for shooting. Dope in the firearms/explosives world can be traced back to before 1880s. When it was used to describe the material used to hold lubricant or the absorbent material in high explosives. Now words evolve over time so you can trace the use back and forth and make adjustments from there. But this should give you an idea that you need to go back more than 100 years.

Reactions: M4orturnate