• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing When did Remington start modifying recievers to not accept old style remington trigger?

JDBraddy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2011
San Antonio, TX.
I bought a used Rem-700 AAC-SD, It had an X-Mark trigger, and I had an extra old style Remington trigger, so I tried to install it, but discovered that the opening on the underside of the reciever, lacks the relief on the right side that allows part of the safety to pass through, so when installed the safety could not be used! Not sure what to do now, I'm not a machinist, don't have the tools to modify the reciever, guess I'll have to buy an expensive aftermarket trigger, but am not sure wich one of those will fit either? Sorry, I'm really frustrated to learn that Remington has changed their recievers so that the old-style Remington triggers can't be used.

Hmm, first I've heard of such. And if such is really the case, it's a crappy move on Remington's part. Have you tried contacting Remington, & or queried a few smiths on this? A couple of phone calls are cheaper than a Timney.

The clearance for the bolt locking safety lever is no longer needed. Even if the clearance were there, you could not use the old bolt locking safety lever as there is no cut under the bolt handle for the long lever to engage. If you can find the newer safety lever, from the pre X=Pro trigger, that did not have the long lever, you can use it. You can also grind off the long lever of the trigger you have now.

I just put an old remmy trigger in a brand new dicks special "RR" reciever and it works just fine.

The OP has an original bolt-lock style safety.

The change in the receivers not to accept bolt-lock style safeties is probably 40+ years old. I have a receiver from the late 80's that wouldn't take the bolt-lock safety trigger I tried to put in it.

I just cut the bolt lock safety off, which is exactly what the Remington Recall from ~1970-75 did when they dropped the bolt-lock safety

I installed a Jewell on this SPSS almost 3 years ago now, it had the X-mark trigger, the Jewell went on just fine.
SJa1oC5.jpg

While that's nice, it has nothing to do with this thread.

Well, since the OP said this, "I'll have to buy an expensive aftermarket trigger, but am not sure wich one of those will fit either? Sorry, I'm really frustrated to learn that Remington has changed their recievers so that the old-style Remington triggers can't be used."
So, I think it does.

Last edited:
Oh, almost forgot to mention, I had to send my SPSS back for a warranty issue and had given the X mark trigger away to a guy in PA already, I had an old style 700 trigger lying around, I slipped it on the SPSS and sent it back to remington, again, went on with no problems.

Well, since the OP said this, "I'll have to buy an expensive aftermarket trigger, but am not sure wich one of those will fit either? Sorry, I'm really frustrated to learn that Remington has changed their recievers so that the old-style Remington triggers can't be used."
So, I think it does.

I have a Savage 12 with an Accutrigger.....

I have a Savage 12 with an Accutrigger.....

How in the hell will that help the OP? That statement is about as useful am me saying "I love tits".

As said above, either sell or trade your trigger. I believe all aftermarket 700 triggers will fit that receiver.

Apparently sarcasm font didn't translate. And yes I also love tits.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but it sounds like your "old 700 trigger" may be a Model 7 or XR-100 version. The safety on those is much closer to the bolt body and there's a notch in the receiver and part of the bolt shroud is machined for this. Otherwise a Model 7 and XR-100 trigger have the same pin locations for installation.