• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

when did the 10/22 become cheaply made

Long_Action

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
Michigan
Just picked up a 10/22 the other day since I had a few gift cards to use. I had a 10/22 several years ago but now it seems like the quality has gone way down on them. My gun feels like it has a 6-8lbs trigger.

Re: when did the 10/22 become cheaply made

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smudaaar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just picked up a 10/22 the other day since I had a few gift cards to use. I had a 10/22 several years ago but now it seems like the quality has gone way down on them. My gun feels like it has a 6-8lbs trigger. </div></div>
I have had 10/22's for many years. Still own 4 of them in different configurations.

I’m not ready to label the changes in the 10/22 as cheaper but the thought came to my mind when I purchased my most recent one, a youth model with 16” barrel to use as a loaner for the Appleseed program.

The first thing I noticed was the trigger as you described. The next thing I noticed was the change from aluminum casting of the older trigger housing to a synthetic material that resembles the polymer used on Glock handgun frames. My experience at using and abusing the Glock with it’s Tupperware frame and finding it to be the most durable handgun on earth is the reason I am reluctant to call the new trigger assembly “cheap”.

As others have observed, the extreme trigger pull is an effort to “lawyer proof” their firearm.

The easiest fix for the awful trigger pull is to order the deluxe trigger parts kit from Clark Custom guns. That will get you to a nice trigger somewhere in the 3# range.

The trigger assembly still has the familiar, loose the pins feature when you remove the action from the stock. I do like the quick magazine release with the new assembly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smudaaar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when did the 10/22 become cheaply made </div></div>
1964 I believe
smirk.gif

If you are asking when did they replace the trigger guard and barrel band with plastic pieces, about a year or 2 ago.

cgv,
You stole my post. Damm!

I started to see them in 2006. I lucked out and found a BNIB Stainless/Synthetic for $225 that was made in 2002. The deals are out there, just have to look out for them.