• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns When do you carry?

Re: When do you carry?

I'm very comfortable shooting my .45. I've had many 1911s. This is the first commander style I've owned though. It's a kimber crimson carry 2.

Also as far as holsters I've ordered a milt sparks versa max 2 for it. It's been 4 months or so so hopefully I'll get it soon. Til then just using a cheap one

No, it seems like every <span style="text-decoration: underline">Snipers Hide member</span> who <span style="text-decoration: underline">responded</span> carry all the time.

Lots of people reserve their carry for places, situations or activities that present high(er) risk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow seems like everyone carries all day everyday. I think I'm definitely going to have to research how to conceal it better. It doesn't seem possible with a tshirt and jeans unless I have a shirt 2x as big

Honestly I haven't carried yet. Waiting to get paid to get some bigger clothes and shop for a couple button down shirts to better conceal </div></div>

I carry everywhere except when I'm at work, where it is prohibited. M&P9 compact riding in an MTAC in summer, full size M&P9 in RCS in the winter.

I carry every day and have for many years. 1911 .45 about 75% of the time and an LCP .380 the rest of the time depending on activity and clothing. Honestly you'd be suprised that people are just not expecting you to be armed. The way everybody has cell phone cases and such, the grip heel bump of my 1911 in a plain normal fitting T-shirt is never noticed or questioned.

I have one with me all the time.Handguns are like purses.It's according to what you are wearing,as to what you carry.In the winter I carry either a 1911 with a shoulder holster,or a XD 45 on my hip,lots of clothes.In the summer it's a hammerless S&W 38 in my shorts pocket.But there are all kinds of combinations.It's a style question.If you are going to carry,carry everyday.It will become second nature.You will take your kids into the school and think holy shit ,I didn't take my peice off.I have done it.No metal detectors at my kids school.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow seems like everyone carries all day everyday. I think I'm definitely going to have to research how to conceal it better. It doesn't seem possible with a tshirt and jeans unless I have a shirt 2x as big

Honestly I haven't carried yet. Waiting to get paid to get some bigger clothes and shop for a couple button down shirts to better conceal </div></div>

When I started to carry daily I learned real quick that my wardrobe had to be completely changed. Now when I buy cloths it is not about fashion or fit, it is about can I conceal my gun with that.

Button up shirts with designs on them work well. Yes buy them big. The designs and prints will help to hit the outlines of the weapon that may appear at times.

T shirts can work, but typically you will want a smaller gun with a shorter grip. The grip is always the hard part to conceal.

When don't I carry would be easier to list. The only time I don't carry is when I am at the FD. Other than that I am carrying all the time.

I carry all day everyday. Glock 23 IWB with one in the pipe and 13 more under. 4 spare loaded mags in my day pack. Occaisionally I carry the Smith 642 in the front pocket but I always have a gun on me where legal.

I haven't carried yet but I've received my ccl. I'm starting to buy clothes that conceal better. Also trying to find the best place for an iwb for a commander style 1911. So far I'm thinking it's right at 3 oclock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't carried yet but I've received my ccl. I'm starting to buy clothes that conceal better. Also trying to find the best place for an iwb for a commander style 1911. So far I'm thinking it's right at 3 oclock </div></div>

4:00 FBI canted holster. Check out High Noon Holster's "Bare Asset" for a great general purpose IWB that won't break the bank and are available immediately usually.

Commander size 1911's have the full length grip, and the grip is what usually prints. Placing it at 4 with a canted holster puts the grip against your body better.

Just my opinion.

Are you ever going to need your weapon? Perhaps not. If you don't carry every day and end up needing it on a day you don't have it, will you feel stupid? DEFINITELY. Unfortunately, I have another year until I'm 21, but I have taken up the practice of carrying my KA-BAR in the small of my back. Yes, it's just a knife, but it's good to have, and it is helping me grow accustomed to always having a large object back there. The idea is that when I get my license, I won't have to adjust to carrying a weapon or concealing it. I'd also recommend that you keep a loaded rifle/shotgun in the trunk of your vehicle. Just in the off chance you forget to carry. I don't like the idea of being anywhere completely unarmed. If only about half of the population own a weapon, I think those of us who own several firearms (and especially those with licenses to carry) have a moral obligation to be armed in case the need to protect the unarmed arises.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't carried yet but I've received my ccl. I'm starting to buy clothes that conceal better. Also trying to find the best place for an iwb for a commander style 1911. So far I'm thinking it's right at 3 oclock </div></div>

For me I use a Crossbreed Supertuck at 4:00. 1911 rides good and hides good at that position. Make sure to also use a good belt.

I use a Shielded Holsters IWB at 8:00 (I'm a lefty) with my Glock 19. I carry everywhere it is legal and allowed. It really burns my ass that I cannot carry at work. If it was noticed, which is highly unlikely, it could cost me my job. Just can't risk it.

"Always", I never leave my house unarmed. Church, grocery store, kid's basketball game, always!!!

I agree with Sober that just because you are armed doesn't mean you will attain victory. A firearm is just a tool and it takes training, situational awareness, responsibility, along with understanding to be accomplished in its use. If your going to carry then carry everyday all the time when acceptable by law. Train with the weapon you are carrying everyday and act accordingly.

I have firearms and I don't carry everyday
crazy.gif
I don't have a problem with people that do carry everyday. If you know what you are doing and are responsible then I trust your decision.
I don't agree with people refering to others when unarmed as sheep. Instead of seeing an unarmed person as a liability we should focus on whether they have an understanding of exigent circumstances.
I try to promote the idea that simply because you armed doesn't guarantee victory, and simply because you are unarmed doesn't guarantee defeat. I have been in plenty of situations where the possibility of physical harm to myself and those around me was present. There were times where I was unarmed, and times were I was not. Every case resulted in mininume bloodshed, if any.
One time being stupid gangster assholes wanting to do a drive by on my house, because I took a stand against them for being in my neighborhood (I live near three elemantry schools, and one jr high). If you are wondering why they were there it is because the asshole drug dealer couple houses down took some money from them and they came looking. Good thing he finaly got caught cause now he is going to serve a 8yr bit for pushing coke.
I may not be a LEO but I couldn't let these punks make a move on this area. Gangs have been known to use schools as recuiting areas, and children are very impressionable.
Anyway it was resolved without incident, and I did call the police. My point being it is much more important having proper training and mental prepardness than what six iron you carry. I would rather have an unarmed man who understands the situation and knows what needs to be done. Over a person who is armed and doesn't know wtf is going on. In other words TAKE YOUR TRAINING SERIOSLY!
Being unarmed has advantages and disadvantages just like being armed....understand this.
If a person decides to present themselves as a threat, and intends harm on me or on innocence. I will be damned if I stand by and do nothing. Armed or not I will resolve the situation even if that means breaking that person's arm, smashing their face through a window, hitting them with a plumbers wrench, or shooting them it will get resolved. Some places don't allow their citizens to defend themselves with weapons by law, and if I so happen to visite these places (Mexico: family) I will have to do without.

Do your homework, train diligently, and act accordingly. You should do fine your already heading down the right track. By the way I carry a .22LR rifle when working out doors
laugh.gif

I am not a sheep, guard dog, or a wolf....I am the fucking shepherd
cool.gif
jkjk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my ccl and I plan to only carry when I'm in a bad area and at nightfall. Do you carry all day everyday? </div></div>I have two CC permits and carry wherever I legally can. Its as normal as breathing.
wink.gif

EVERYWHERE/ALWAYS/Now. Exceptions are the swimming pool/ocean and places restricted by law. (NPE's-Non Permissive Enviornments) You will fight the way you train....so train right and train often. 6 rounds under 1.5 is my standard.

All the time. As others have mentioned, proper clothing and a good holster make a huge difference.

My EDC is either a Springfield XD45C, or a XD9SC depending on what I'm wearing, & I usually have a Keltec P-32 in my pocket for backup as well.

Hope I never have to use them, but if I do, I'll be damn sure they're with me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalTeacher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my ccl and I plan to only carry when I'm in a bad area and at nightfall. Do you carry all day everyday?</div></div>

whats a bad area? when the SHTF where ever you are is immediately a "bad area". its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. </div></div>

What he said.

Since I got my permit, I carry a walther PPK everywhere except in the courthouse b/c they prevent carry there by law.

Browning highpower in driver side door pocket in truck.

Glock 36 in glove box.

2 loaded mags for ever weapon.

Truck guns are not chambered. Gun on my hip is always chambered.

1 50 round box om ammo for each in back of vehicle in case I get stuck somewhere.

and what they said about training...

ensure weapon is absolutely unloaded and practice drawing every few days as part of your ritualized drills for muscle memory.

On range days I usually put an 8 foot sheet of plywood up and stick 20 orange dots on it. I stand 10 feet away max and practice drawing from the 2 styles of holsters i use and fire 3 shot groups at each dot. I'm more interested in smooth and quick than I am in cloverleafing shots. If I shoot 3 or 4 inch groups thats OK. I can slow down the further the target is away and change my method as more sight usage is needed.

two places that i do not carry, at work company policy dictates that no firearms are allowed on company property, and i go to work once a month and stay there for 20 days. the other place i do not carry is when i plan on having drinks while i am out.

I carry either a HK USP in .40 or a S&W snubby .357 magnum.

I carry a Kahr CW9 in a Cross breed super tuck. No problem with shorts and a T-shirt. It just disappears. I carry a spare mag in a Gerber tool sheath.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and what they said about training...

ensure weapon is absolutely unloaded and practice drawing every few days as part of your ritualized drills for muscle memory.

On range days I usually put an 8 foot sheet of plywood up and stick 20 orange dots on it. I stand 10 feet away max and practice drawing from the 2 styles of holsters i use and fire 3 shot groups at each dot. I'm more interested in smooth and quick than I am in cloverleafing shots. If I shoot 3 or 4 inch groups thats OK. I can slow down the further the target is away and change my method as more sight usage is needed.

</div></div>

I got this dot drill method from the training section and have already been working on that! Problem is finding the best position for my holster. The most concealable. I think it doesn't help that I have a cheapy one while I wait for my milt sparks holster

Unless I'm going out somewhere where I plan to drink, I carry...all of the time. Bad things don't just happen in the "bad" areas of town. Select a firearm and a form of carry that works for you, and train, train, train. And when you think you've reached the point where you're prepared, train some more. "On Killing" is an excellent book for anyone who intends to carry.

Better to have a piece on you and not need it then to need it and not have it. Whether you decide to carry open, concealed, or just to keep it in your vehicle so it's fairly handy, I wouldnt leave home without it.

In Australia, We have no right to carry. In fact, in Western Australia; to even own a handgun you must shoot competitively and attend a minimum of 8 competitive shoots a year. We can not own a .45 unless it is a competition gun for metallic silhouette shooting.

If somebody comes into your home, the only legal right you have is to "necessary force". That is, somebody un-welcomed enters your home and is unarmed, and you beat them to death with a baseball bat, you will go to jail for manslaughter. If somebody enters your home with a baseball bat, and you shoot them, you will go to jail for manslaughter. The only exception would be if your firearm safe was in your room, you barricade your room and warn any perpetrater that you are armed, then you may get off.

How can one accurately judge how an unknown third party is armed? Especially when it is dark.

We must keep all firearms locked in a safe and the ammunition locked in a seperate compartment. In the eyes of the law, if you have time to retreive a firearm, you have time to call the police to come and defend you.

The only thing tieing me to this country is family and occupation.

In terms of carrying knives, you have to have a genuine reason to have a knife in your possession. Mine is "general utility tool, for opening boxes, levering items, cutting rope etc. etc...". If you tell an officer of the law that you have a knife for self-defense. It will be confiscated and you will be issued with a fine or a court date. Owning a knife for "self-defense" is illegal. In fact owning any form of item for "self-defense" is illegal and considered "pre-meditated".

The only flip side is we generally do not have high rates of gun crimes or shootings. I'm a firm believe that had of there been a CCW carry at port arthur, the nation would think differently of firearms.

"On Killing" is a great book. I like how the author thinks people that are predisposed to agression are crazy.
smirk.gif
His notes on how that few people are actually capable or willing to get "intimate" with the opponent, i.e. closing proximity like HTHC. Very insteresting stuff for sure.

I carry anytime I leave the house. I just dont feel right anymore unless I am. The only time I leave it at home is if I plan to do some drinking.

Great info guys. Thank you.

I wanted to add

I've taken a CCL class explaining when you should draw your firearm and when to use lethal force. I learned quite a bit. I highly recommend anyone thats considering a CCL to take this class as a prerequisite for putting your application paperwork in. It definitely changed my thoughts on carrying and we actually had one person leave mid class saying it wasn't for them.

In oklahoma you have to take the class first anyway regardless. You can skip the practical application shoot if you are one of a few categories (military, etc.). But the class is actually pretty good. It makes you think about what if.

I carry whenever I go into an area that is nonsecure. Like Walmart Parking Lots. I don't fight as hard, run as fast, nor heal as well as I did 50 years ago. JMHO

I usually dont. I typically have my folding karambit in my right pocket.

If I'm going somewhere new, or somewhere i've heard is a little rough, I whip out the sig.

Otherwise, Utah is a fairly safe place. When i'm on leave back in WA, then yeah, I carry everywhere. (Gregoire can go die in a fire)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my ccl and I plan to only carry when I'm in a bad area and at nightfall. Do you carry all day everyday? </div></div>

The day you don't carry it, is the day you need it. Predators SEEK prey. They don't just wait for the prey to come to them.

I carry anytime I am out and about. There are very few exceptions and those usually have more to do with Federal Law, not my own choice.

Supposing I'm one of the lucky that get to carry just about anywhere as a qualified retired LEO. My .02 on this:

TARGET: To the trained, mentally prepared individual carrying ANY tool that they are comfortable in using to defend themselves with confidence, exude that confidence (the same confidence that attracts the fairer sex, an additional bonus lol), making them a less desirable "target" for the bad guys.

POSITION OF HOLSTER: Obviously EVERY position has pros and cons. If you carry primary side, just behind hip, obviously make support hand draw very difficult but it is also usually the fastest presentation. Myself, I will NEVER carry SOB. I value my spine all too much.

CLOTHING: Having worked undercover for several years and having case law that prohibited the bad guys knowing we were packing (because they might be "scared" into selling me the crack they had in their pocket anyway lol), I carried a SIG P228 or a Glock 17 in gym shorts and basketball jerseys all the time in a 5 dollar nylon IWB holster (that 5 dollar holster saved my bacon twice when I DID have to show my piece to a bad guy cause nothing would have screamed "COP" louder than the FOBUS paddle I carry everyday now). But I digress...the point that I was making and that was passed down from literally hundreds of years of "real world" experience was that even if you print some, if you don't fidget, adjust, or otherwise draw attention to your holster, 99% of the people will never notice (someone already brushed on this, just offering my experience as well).

Anyway, that's been my experience...anyone with other questions or comments that I can be of help-feel free to PM me. New to this board, but digging the helpful community!

Oops, edited to reply to OP's question:I carry EVERYWHERE/ALL THE TIME! Even if its just the KelTec .32 in my pocket to take out the trash or feed the dogs.

ALL THE TIME.....accept for when having relations with the wife or showering.....
People think I'm crazy but you never know when you might need it. I avoid situations as much as possible.
Haven't been asked about carrying in public yet thanks to
RAVEN CONCEALMENT HOLSTER and my GLOCK 19

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry everywhere it is legal to carry all the time. I do not break laws though. Check your state laws. </div></div>

Freedom-We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. Reagan

Your statement is at odds with your signature. If laws are unjust or infringe on our God given rights then sometimes they can and must be broken. That's what freedom is.

When I am awake, I carry. Even at home. A home invasion happens quickly and my gun is on my person when I am up. Additionaly, guns are staged throughout my house. I don't have kids and my wife is competent with handguns.

I carry all the time, if going to school, work, etc where hangun is not permitted it is locked away in my truck.

I carry a full size 1911 .45acp