• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns When do you carry?

Re: When do you carry?

I carry concealed from morning to bed time then into a holster on the bedside until the next morning when the whole thing stares over again. I also practice 2 days a week to keep in tune with my Sig P-220.

I carry when im not going to and from work. I work for the federal goverment but they do not allow firearms on goverment propety even if its in a locked vehicle. Your not even allowed a pocket knife unless it is required to your specific job. G26, G17

All day every day where legal...also have OR, WA and UT concealed permits, so carry while travelling where allowed (or locked in trunk separate from ammo etc. where not). Just have to remember to study up on states you will be traveling through..and keep copy of laws with you for reference. Usually carry G30 in the winter and Para-Carry in the summer..with a 638 when need a smaller gun. Carry IWB under tucked in dress shirt typically or in SigTac jacket, cept when off work/ in more casual dress then wider range to choose from.

The only time I don't carry is in the shower. If you only carry when you go to a "bad" place you could look like you're singling out someone or group of people. You should practice carrying all the time

I could'nt agree more. I have been around guns for a long time and feel comfortable and very competent, but there is a huge responsibility that comes with it. I do not think people relized the consequences of not being totally metally and physically prepared. I happen to be of the opinion that anyone serious about carrying should not only do the CCW class in their respective states but should also be willing to spend the time and money to go through a serious 2 or 3 day class that focuses on handling, mental prepardness and puts them through a lot of different scenarios. Then if you feel right Carry...... all the time, when legal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The day you don't carry it, is the day you need it.</div></div>Point taken: From an LE perspective, you generally don't need a gun until you need one very badly - at which time it's too late if you don't have one.

Jeff Cooper said that a gun should be within reach at all times. He wasn't preaching in favor of paranoia among amateurs, he was arguing for a level of adequacy among professionals.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I carry every day.It's a 1911,Les Bear Concept VI. </span>

I carry everyday....don't wanna miss my chance
smile.gif

Ant time I'm not working. Can't carry on the clock. I do carry at home even when mowing the lawn; because you never know!!!!
full size 1911

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalTeacher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry all day everyday. if you are going to exercise your right to carry it has to become part of your daily routine. train to present weapon from your various carry methods and ALWAYS maintain a low profile. no need to let anyone know your are armed until they are looking down the front sight. If you just got your permit i have to assume you have not had much experience with carrying a firearm at all times, you must train and understand the responsibilities that go along with carrying that weapon. and remember, just because you feel that weapon on your hip, SOB, Shoulder, Ankle etc... doesnt NOT mean anyone around you knows its there. keep it that way and stay in control at all times.

I cant say it enough. train to present that weapon from concealment. if your able to deliver a controlled pair from 15 yards in under 1.5 seconds you are almost where you need to be. </div></div>
+1 Well said sir

i caary my keltec 380 most of the time. before i got it i did not carry alot. but it is so easy to conceal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The day you don't carry it, is the day you need it. Predators SEEK prey. They don't just wait for the prey to come to them.

I carry anytime I am out and about. There are very few exceptions and those usually have more to do with Federal Law, not my own choice. </div></div>

+1
Everytime I walk out my door. With VERY few exceptions.

I'm always carrying, have my side arm within arm's reach, or its locked up in my car while i'm at work where weapons are probited on company property. I'll be damned if i'm going to be unarmed going to and from work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my ccl and I plan to only carry when I'm in a bad area and at nightfall. Do you carry all day everyday? </div></div>
Every day, all the time.

I'd sooner walk out the door forgetting to wear underwear than I would go without a sidearm. There's no discussion to be had. You either accept the statistical reality that it needs to be on you at all times, or you might as well never purchase a carry weapon. If I'm outside my home, it's a pistol, spare magazine, wallet, Surefire, knife, Leatherman, keys, and smartphone. If I can't solve a problem without the things I'm carrying...then I'm probably fucked no matter what.
wink.gif

When don't I carry. If I can't carry in an establishment I don't go in there...even by court order...LOL!

its like putting on underwear, its got to be a way of life, commit to it and wear it everyday.

mike

Anytime I am out of my house.

There's crazy folks in this world. Don't be lulled to sleep.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mbandy13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its like putting on <span style="color: #FF0000">underwear</span>, its got to be a way of life, commit to it and wear it everyday.

mike </div></div>

Wearing a gun everyday = YES, but underwear? Maybe if I have like a job interview or doctor's appointment or something...
blush.gif

Concealed, whenever I'm allowed by law. Open only if I feel I won't cause a stir.

Here in Michigan we've go tstrange laws. A CPL allows you to carry everywhere but bars, schools, churches and events with more than 2500 people. Howver, if you HAVE a CPL, you may open carry at any of the above.

I don't carry at work because they forbid it, and I don't want ro lose my job. However, its not illegal to do so - only against policy. If I were to carry and was caught, I'd only be guilty of trespassing if I refused to leave the premises when asked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow seems like everyone carries all day everyday. I think I'm definitely going to have to research how to conceal it better. It doesn't seem possible with a tshirt and jeans unless I have a shirt 2x as big

Honestly I haven't carried yet. Waiting to get paid to get some bigger clothes and shop for a couple button down shirts to better conceal </div></div>
When I first started carrying, I was very concious of printing and wondered if others could see it. I mainly carried a Kahr PM40 in a Galco Sto N Go IWB. It's a small and light 40 cal pistol. Once you wear it a while, you realize it's not hard to conceal most any pistol with a short butt (grip). I now carry a G29 in 10mm in a Blade Tech Nano IWB holser. It has a short butt, has more power than a 40, and holds 10 rounds. The butt of the pistol is the hardest part to conceal. Get a good IWB holster and heavy duty gun belt and any shirt untucked will conceal it fine. I've had the same black Ross gun belt for years and use it for daily dress carry and competitions. If you wear tight shirts, then you will print through easier. I'm a big guy and like loose clothing, so it's easy. Hope this helps!

I might add:

I don't drive my car down streets that I expect to get a flat tire on...yet I ALWAYS keep a spare tire in the car with me.

My arm of choice sure has changed over the course of several years of having a CPL. From XD45 Tactical to XD40SC to SW442 to Kahr PM9. I highly suggest getting a pocket gun. When you leave the house you stick the (HOLSTERED) pistolin your pocket and thats it. No stringing a holster onto a belt. No clipping, no finagling...just stick it in your pocket. That said, in the cooler months when a jacket is required, Ive got a Glock 20 in an Alessi shoulder rig with 2 spare mags. If 46 rounds of 10mm won't get me out of trouble,, nothing will.

Having a permit to carry and not carrying is like having a drivers licence and walking. I mean, if your going to carry sometimes and not others, why bother?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might add:

I don't drive my car down streets that I expect to get a flat tire on...yet I ALWAYS keep a spare tire in the car with me.

My arm of choice sure has changed over the course of several years of having a CPL. From XD45 Tactical to XD40SC to SW442 to Kahr PM9. I highly suggest getting a pocket gun. When you leave the house you stick the (HOLSTERED) pistolin your pocket and thats it. No stringing a holster onto a belt. No clipping, no finagling...just stick it in your pocket. That said, in the cooler months when a jacket is required, Ive got a Glock 20 in an Alessi shoulder rig with 2 spare mags. If 46 rounds of 10mm won't get me out of trouble,, nothing will.</div></div>

So with your argument, do you carry a small spare tire when driving on newly paved roads but when going offroad you carry 4 full sized spares and 2 cans of fuel?
laugh.gif

I carry whenever i can, which is not very often because im a full time college student. I can easily conceal a bersa thunder 380 in my kholster with just a t-shirt convering it. I'm 5'10" and 155lbs. I just have to be careful not to bend the wrong way or sit at a stool to keep my gun concealed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might add:

My arm of choice sure has changed over the course of several years of having a CPL. From XD45 Tactical to XD40SC to SW442 to Kahr PM9. I highly suggest getting a pocket gun. When you leave the house you stick the (HOLSTERED) pistolin your pocket and thats it. No stringing a holster onto a belt. No clipping, no finagling...just stick it in your pocket. That said, in the cooler months when a jacket is required, Ive got a Glock 20 in an Alessi shoulder rig with 2 spare mags. If 46 rounds of 10mm won't get me out of trouble,, nothing will.</div></div>

So with your argument, do you carry a small spare tire when driving on newly paved roads but when going offroad you carry 4 full sized spares and 2 cans of fuel?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Yep, Jerry cans. Not Allen or Jim cans. They don't cut it.

And yes, I carry all the time in or out of places that say not to. The trick is if it's really concealed, they won't see it and tell you not to come back in.

My wife had a moron at her work that showed up with a "non-concealable" piece attached to his belt ...in a big way. They have a 'no-carry' policy. She tells him not come in next time without it being concealed. He comes in again with it "hanging out the bottom of his shirt." And a couple staff there could see the butt of the gun. Minnesota has a "Carry" law that allows you to conceal. "Moron" needs to show everyone he's got a gun. In Minnesota, the other side of the law is if you post signs of a certain size in your front window they can't come in. No signs and a no gun policy means you need to get spoken to about not bringing it in. Not letting anyone see it, with an "unknown" policy means you conceal...no one is the wiser. Unless you need it. But, they didn't post and/or say something to you... So, you're good.
This moron makes it such an issue as now the signs need to come back up and the store take an aggressive 'anti' role. This guy ruined it for 20-30 CCW guys as far as I know so far.

It would have been so much easier if this dumbass CCW legal Minnesotan, had just listened and done what was asked in the first place. Conceal it, and with no signs you can carry until someone see's it and say's something.

I always carry, except at work. If it's not on me, then its pretty darn close, but either way you would NEVER know it was there. I carry at school too. No you're not supposed to, but I'd rather be in a courtroom than graveyard dead because some dumb shit got a bad grade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and I don't carry in church...</div></div>

What!? I make sure I carry in church, schools and churches seem to be the two biggest targets of gun wielding wackos! </div></div>

Carrying in a place of worship is illegal in most states, with the exception of having written consent from the church leadership(deacon board/pastor) in addition to the concealed carry permit. Again, check your state laws.

this site will show you your states laws as well as reciprocities and application processes.
www.handgunlaw.us

To the OP,

I carry all the time regardless of what area ill be in. Bad things can happen in good places too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry everywhere it is legal to carry all the time. I do not break laws though. Check your state laws. </div></div>

Freedom-We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. Reagan

Your statement is at odds with your signature. If laws are unjust or infringe on our God given rights then sometimes they can and must be broken. That's what freedom is.

</div></div>

Exactly. The many laws this nation has (continues to get) creates the effect of making decent people either kneel or become criminals. See sig line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might add:

laugh.gif
</div></div>

That's one way of looking at it - another way would be that I pack what I can, with reasonable convenience. I don't really go "off road", for example, I don't go to Detroit unless I *HAVE* to. I don't count on my sidearm to always be able to get me out of trouble. It is a tool to give me options. In the summer, a 10mm in a shoulder rig is NOT convenient. In the winter, it is - relatively. My Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster is always convenient, year round.

I forgot mine one night when out with the family, and we blew a tire driving through a rough part of town. I drive a 2007 GMC sierra with a hydralic jack and a full set of tools, so i wasnt too worried, but the spare tire would not come off. (there is a secondary lock mechanism that had failed). I finally got it handled, but it took way longer than I would have liked. It scared my wife real bad, and it really hit me how much responsiblity i have to my family. Because of that I am never without it during the day and its in the nightstand at night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dannyryan007</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and I don't carry in church...</div></div>

What!? I make sure I carry in church, schools and churches seem to be the two biggest targets of gun wielding wackos! </div></div>

Carrying in a place of worship is illegal in most states, with the exception of having written consent from the church leadership(deacon board/pastor) in addition to the concealed carry permit. Again, check your state laws.

this site will show you your states laws as well as reciprocities and application processes.
www.handgunlaw.us </div></div>

You can carry in church's in Texas. I don't know about other states.

Everywhere legal. I carry a sidearm for emergencies. I cannot predict when an emergency will present itself.

Many years ago while in college, I had a member of the sheriff's department come by the restaurant I was working. He showed me a picture of a LARGE man that had recently escaped the jail. The deputy told me the escapee had said he was either going to rob my restaurant or another business. This is only one of 2 times I can recall not having a sidearm with me. I called my boss at home and told him I was going to leave the restaurant for about 15 minutes and rectify the condition. He said it sounded like a good idea.

I carry all day, seven days a week, a Sig P220 concealed and at home not concealed. At night it's on the bed stand.

i carry when i am at work, on duty....and maybe on long car rides...

i never carry anywhere else...too much of a hassle

If you could pick the time & place that you would need it,,,, just avoid that time & place!