• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns When do you carry?

Re: When do you carry?

23 years in the business, never know who I'll run into so I ususlly carry when I'm Awake.

I carry all the time. I have an assortment of different guns just to meet my carry needs. The only time I dont have a gun on me is when I'm drinking. Other than that, definitely carrying. I've got a carry permit for every state around me (this was before last wednesday when they passed the national carry law)

I used to carry most of the time. However, I have a family now, and the risk of loosing my family is greater if I get caught carrying than the risk of ending up in a confrontation. My home is always protected. I remember the one time I left my shotgun out of reach in the night, I was woken by a loud bang, the sound of glass shattering. The first thing that came to my mind was that this was the biggest mistake of my life. There had been a string of home invasions that summer and just a few days earlier a family not far away was invaded, tied up, beaten half to death and robbed. It turned out to that a fixture had come off on a large glass shelf and crashed to the floor. I think it was a sign to show that bad luck will always try to exploit your mistakes, so never make the mistake of not being prepared.

I carry off duty as much as i can. my pocket carry Ruger LCP sees a lot of use as well as my other sub compacts and even full size 1911s. a good idea is to practice whatever method of carry you like and works the best without worring about printing / dropping your pistol. A good start is around the house. once it becomes second nature practice your draws SAFELY. As a back up plan i bought a lock box on a thick steel cable to put under the seat. Believe me one of these days your going to have to go somewhere where the gun has to stay in the car, and nothing wrecks your nereves more than having a loaded gun in the car without you around. inside my box i keep a ziplock bag and remwipes (ziplock to "waterproof") rem wipes for on the go cleaning, sometimes a spare magazine (the box is very small and barely with a few cm to spare fits a full size 1911)

hope all this helps good luck
there will always be a time when shit hits the fan and youre not carrying. Thats why i carry as much as i can. we've all heard the stories of the hunter who either finds a prize kill or a dangerous snake and oops! he left his gun in the truck.

I'll tell you what pisses me off: I can't carry 5 days out of the week because you can't take a firearm on base unless you're going to the armory. Total horse shit in my opinion.

Everyday everwhere, except as noted before...courthouse etc. It's part of getting dressed in the AM. Be aware eveywhere!

I carry everywhere. I follow the rules and don't take my weapon into a place where CCW's are not allowed and if going to a business that doesn't allow it I don't shop there. Also since carrying everyday I train all the time my ammo buying has gone up %800

Only in the shower, all other times I have somewhere to put it down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasClassIII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Used to carry every single day.

Got sick of having the extra weight of a Kimber 3" 1911 on my belt.

Now I carry sporadically. I need to look into a lighter and more compact firearm. 1911s aren't particularly light.... </div></div>

I open carry a commander sized 1911 daily. If that kimber is too much weight for you, I'll take it off your hands for ya.

If I have pants on, I generally have a gun or two.

I have a license to drive and carry. I do both everyday, and don't feel weird about either.

I carry everyday when its legal. Even carry while walking my 105 pound protection trained bulldog. Exercise your rights as much as possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You gonna carry it with an empty chamber too?
</div></div>

I don't get how people carry unchambered. Even if you're Quickdraw McGraw, that's a lot of extra time to rack one in and then get on target. Goodness, that's why those safety systems were invented and added, to be carried chambered.....

It's like having a condem in your wallet but never using it....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only in the shower, all other times I have somewhere to put it down. </div></div>

Hopefully it's a Glock, right? You don't shower with a 1911 do you?.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasClassIII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Used to carry every single day.

Got sick of having the extra weight of a Kimber 3" 1911 on my belt.

Now I carry sporadically. I need to look into a lighter and more compact firearm. 1911s aren't particularly light.... </div></div>

Try S&W gen 3 single-stack auto, like a 3913(9mm). They have other calibers with different numbers. Forgot what number the single stack .45 was. Alloy slide, stainless frame, VERY light and nimble, great balance, and utterly reliable....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSAR FE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll tell you what pisses me off: I can't carry 5 days out of the week because you can't take a firearm on base unless you're going to the armory. Total horse shit in my opinion. </div></div>

Makes perfect sense to the gubment. That way no one can defend anyone when a raving islamic terrorist shoots up the place. Then they can tell us how bad guns are again, and the guy was just nuts, not a terrorist.....

S&W hammerless .38 or Diamondback .380 if I want to completely conceal. Glock 26 if I don't mind a slight bump... as an LEO in Texas I carry a Glock 17 visible when I am travelling off duty. As for when? Anytime I'm not in the water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdh4376</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If my pants are on I am carrying. </div></div>
This is me. I carry--always and without exception. I am a pastor, and I also carry in church and in the pulpit. I take my role as protector of the flock very serious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdh4376</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If my pants are on I am carrying. </div></div>
This is me. I carry--always and without exception. I am a pastor, and I also carry in church and in the pulpit. I take my role as protector of the flock very serious. </div></div>

Wow! We need more pastors like you! Preach that fire and brimstone brother! Pack that sidearm! Protect your flock!

i carry at all times as well.. my wife kinda laughs in some situations but in reality you never know. i like to have the comfort that its there at all times then wish i had it when its needed

I carry everyday. I never leave the house without atleast 2 pistols in the vehicle, one of them on my body.

Hell, I don't even take the trash out to the road without my little LCR .357

If you don't have it on you.....you cant use it.

I carry all day everyday. If I'm heading somewhere I can't legally carry into I just put it in the glove box and pull it back out when I'm back in the car.

Not all day everyday, but very regularly. I can't carry at work.

Anytime I leave the house, even to work (armed contract security officer for government).

I live rural, so mostly center console, but
I'm packing on my person when I venture
To the city for a movie, dinner, shopping.

DA says well SR. why did you have a gun.
you say well I have a CHL
DA says you carry all the time
you say no,but I new I was going to a bad part of town
DA says so you planned on shooting someone today

Carry all the time even in the shower. Not going to have some one pop me while I am on the throne or scrubbing my, well you get the picture. Guess i could get a dog that did more than roll over so you will pet her

Every time I leave the house. It drove my wife nuts but she married me and I carried long before I met her. She just applied for her Concealed Carry Permit and does a fine job shooting too.

I am ALWAYS armed.

You need to have a new mindset to go along with your carry permit. You need to train constantly and be mentally ready to intervene when appropriate in life and death situations.

If you don't constantly train, have the right mindset and always carrry a gun (where you can legally and safely) there is little chance you will be ready to be a warrior instead of a victim.

You need to choose if you will be prepared or be a victim, there is no middle option. If you are presented with a life and death situation there should never be a delay while you remember if you bothered carrying a gun today. Situational awareness is key. If you're constantly looking at everything for potential threats you won't feel comfortable without the appropriate tools (gun, light, cell phone) with which to protect yourself and others.

If I am wearing clothes, I am carrying a gun, not just when I leave my house but at home also. I may sound paranoid but a surprising statistic is that 100% of violent home invasions take place in the home.

My walther pps is always on my hip. IWB holster, no matter the season you'd have know it was there. I never want to be caught without it when it matters.

I agree totally. My fiance believes she will be fast enough to get the firearm and load it in the time it'll take an intruder to get to where she is located and obviously where the firearm is located. I have tried my best to explain to her how bad of a plan that she has but we all know how bull headed they can be. I recently traded out the LCR for a Smith bodyguard w laser for her small hand and lack of trigger pull strength. But what good will an unloaded gun do her in the time of need. any way, just venting!!! Hopefully I will be able to convince her one day soon that a loaded gun will be her best friend if it ever comes to to a situation that she needs it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwh73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree totally. My fiance believes she will be fast enough to get the firearm and load it in the time it'll take an intruder to get to where she is located and obviously where the firearm is located. I have tried my best to explain to her how bad of a plan that she has but we all know how bull headed they can be. I recently traded out the LCR for a Smith bodyguard w laser for her small hand and lack of trigger pull strength. But what good will an unloaded gun do her in the time of need. any way, just venting!!! Hopefully I will be able to convince her one day soon that a loaded gun will be her best friend if it ever comes to to a situation that she needs it. </div></div>

Why not get some snap caps, and have her do a dry run to show how slow it would be her way and how important it is to have it loaded and ready.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwh73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree totally. My fiance believes she will be fast enough to get the firearm and load it in the time it'll take an intruder to get to where she is located and obviously where the firearm is located. I have tried my best to explain to her how bad of a plan that she has but we all know how bull headed they can be. I recently traded out the LCR for a Smith bodyguard w laser for her small hand and lack of trigger pull strength. But what good will an unloaded gun do her in the time of need. any way, just venting!!! Hopefully I will be able to convince her one day soon that a loaded gun will be her best friend if it ever comes to to a situation that she needs it. </div></div>

An unloaded gun is a paperweight/brick. Might as well throw it at the bad guy. It shocks me how many people are scared to carry a gun loaded. I've actually caught two trainees in my time in law enforcement carrying their duty weapon without one in the chamber. I can assure you that it only happened once.

Thanks for the idea of the snap caps. I work swing shift and I can switch out the bullets for the snaps then slip back home and run a senario on her without her knowing. She might kill me for real afterwards but the lesson she learns might be worth it. Then later we can run drills. who knows i might even get her interested in concealed carry!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwh73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the idea of the snap caps. I work swing shift and I can switch out the bullets for the snaps then slip back home and run a senario on her without her knowing. She might kill me for real afterwards but the lesson she learns might be worth it. Then later we can run drills. who knows i might even get her interested in concealed carry! </div></div>

Bad idea as she might kill you if she ends up putting live ammo. Or if something does happen then she tries to shoot the bad guy and she has snap caps.

take out ammo put her in the farthest place from the gun and then tell her you are going out side to run through like a robery is taking place. doing the way you suggested is asking to get shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tcmech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I am wearing clothes, I am carrying a gun, not just when I leave my house but at home also. I may sound paranoid but a surprising statistic is that 100% of violent home invasions take place in the home. </div></div>
faq.jpg