• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing When do you gunsmiths add flutes to a barrel blank?

BenY 2013

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
SW Arkansas
Right after contouring or do you do flutes last after chambering and everything else? I have barrel blanks considering adding flutes, just wondering when the best time to machine them in would be and what most guys do or if it even matters? I've asked about doing a finished barrel(chamber and muzzle done) and most said it was fine to go ahead and add flutes, curious about starting with a blank this time. Thanks

Ben

I was always told before most all of the work was done and deff before chambering. Im no smith though. And deff before cutting one down because you need to know where to end the flutes LOL

I would think right after contouring would be the best time to do it but I honestly have no clue!

Ben

I've done 5 or 6. Some before I thread and chambered, some after.

You obviously need to recrown the barrel if it is done after since you have the center from the tail stock shoved into it. I think the threaded and chambered barrels are easier to flute. I use an old lug to protect the tenon shoulder on those barrels.

The unworked blanks are longer, and therefore can vibrate more depending on finished length. I thought I had it all figured out and then I did a new (and long) blank and one of the flutes was full of chatter- it took quite a while to fix it.

I haven't noticed any decrease in accuracy from fluting.

Personally I like to flute after the barrel is chambered and crowned. It is easier for me to clock the flutes to the action that way. You just need to mark the TDC on the barrel and then pick the mark up in the mill so you can put the flutes where you want them.
No need for a re-crown if you use fixturing that does not damage it.

I flute for a lot of other smiths and about 75% do it this way as well.

Karl, does it make any difference if it's a brand new built rifle vs. one where the barrel has been broken in? Can I build a rifle, shoot a few hundred rounds through it, then send it to you to flute and still expect it to shoot well when I get it back? I guess what I'm asking is whether or not it needs to have the flutes in place when it is being broken in.

Awesome input! I have seen your work and must say it is quite impressive! I may have a few barrels to send your way some day!

Ben

Hey Kampfeld I have a barrel I would like to get spiral fluted,I see on your site that option is temporarily unavailable,when are you going to start it again?

Personally I like to flute after the barrel is chambered and crowned. It is easier for me to clock the flutes to the action that way. You just need to mark the TDC on the barrel and then pick the mark up in the mill so you can put the flutes where you want them.
No need for a re-crown if you use fixturing that does not damage it.

I flute for a lot of other smiths and about 75% do it this way as well.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you hold the muzzle end of your barrel?

You do excellent work. I have 4 or 5 bolts helically fluted bolts from you. Thanks