• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes When does the step up to "Precision" rings start making a difference?

marc.

MM1
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2014
San Diego
I'll keep this short:

I'm building my first medium/long distance rifle. Picked up a Ashbury M700 6.5CM when they were on sale a few weeks ago. Will be using a Vortex Viper G2 5-25 EBR-2D. Now I have to decide on rings.

1) Vortex Pro series rings, $54 (new)
2) Vortex Precision Matched Rings, $80 (refurb from AA Optics)

I'm planning on getting to 1000 yds SOMEDAY.. but mostly will be staying 800 yds and under.

Will spending the extra $26 on the PMRs make any difference in my case? Or should I just stick to the Pro Series?

I don't have any experience with either mentioned above, but I will say repeatability is important in several areas, and a quality mount or set of rings make a big difference to ensure reliability in these three senerio's;

Removing, then remounting the scope on the rifle.

Recoil.

Impact or rough handling of the weapons system.

So let me get this straight..... you just spent $2000 on a rifle and your debating over $26?

Putting cheap rings on a rifle is like putting cheap Chinese tires on a Corvette. Any high end quality rings will do fine.

The rifle was $750 but yes debating about $26 haha

Regardless... Would love to hear from people with actual experience in these rings.

All I use is M10 rings from American Rifle Company. Best $180 you can spend in my opinion. I used all the cheap shit like you mentioned, among many others, in the past. Trying to forget it like a bad childhood memory.

IMG_20191116_164136706.jpg

The good rings are nice. I can take my arcs off and remount them and they don’t change. The cheaper rings aren’t so good but I like the $70 range leupold back country, Steiner h series and nightforce standards for the ar and 22s etc. They aren’t quite as refined or substantial but they do well enough from what I can tell. I’m sure the cheap vortex will be fine but I like to have confidence in my gear even if it’s a case of beer more expensive.

Reactions: 260284 and marc.
I have both sets you mentioned in the OP, meh.

I don't transfer scopes so basically once I put them on they stay. I also have nightforce, xlr. Utg and Burris signature, adm.
They all work and stay put.......hell I have a buddy who has had a set 0f $10 rings and a Shepard scope on a 300 ultra sendero
For 20 years, never lost zero.

Damn looks like the ARC rings have crazy good reviews everywhere.. I'll keep my eye out for a black friday sale or a used pair. I still have 3 weeks until I can pick the rifle up from my FFL, so I have a little time.

Reactions: Danattherock
If you can afford to keep the variables down in your system, treat yourself.
Make sure that you are the only/biggest variable in your system, otherwise you will never know if it is you or your equipment that's doing something wrong.

Reactions: marc.
I'll keep this short:

I'm building my first medium/long distance rifle. Picked up a Ashbury M700 6.5CM when they were on sale a few weeks ago. Will be using a Vortex Viper G2 5-25 EBR-2D. Now I have to decide on rings.

1) Vortex Pro series rings, $54 (new)
2) Vortex Precision Matched Rings, $80 (refurb from AA Optics)

I'm planning on getting to 1000 yds SOMEDAY.. but mostly will be staying 800 yds and under.

Will spending the extra $26 on the PMRs make any difference in my case? Or should I just stick to the Pro Series?

I've got both rings on various rifles, but the Pro series are on .22lr rifles. I don't have any complaints about either ring style, but for that small of a price difference, I would get the PMR rings without question.

I’ve used the upgraded vortex rings (seekins) they’re excellent rings.

I use the value version on my AR, no complaints.

I’m a ARC rings whore now though for bolt actions.

If you're not taking them on and off it rarely makes any difference.

For what it's worth, I've seen quite a few broken scopes from drops. Never seen a broken ring, they break the screws off the receiver before the rings break.

find a used set of seekins/vortex precision matched rings in the PX section

hint hint they're the same ring one just says seekins one says vortex

i have a rule. $1500+ scopes get spuhr.

i do think ill be running griffins new scope mount for cheaper stuff.
the Mpa single piece mount is proven and right around the same price. plus, no funny name nor screws at the bottom to deal with.

Reactions: XLR308
I’ll have to try the ARC rings.

My rifle got kicked over after the first stage of a two day match. Zero was off all weekend. When I finally got it home to check, my scope had rotated. Nightforce rings torqued properly.

I’ll have to try the ARC rings.

My rifle got kicked over after the first stage of a two day match. Zero was off all weekend. When I finally got it home to check, my scope had rotated. Nightforce rings torqued properly.

That's almost exactly how I switched over to Arc. Me and my partner we're killing it at Gap grind 2 years ago until my scope came loose. Lol. Of course he had previously told me to switch to Arc rings, ouch. I've been using them for 2 years with zero issues of any kind. Ted at American Rifle Company apparently told someone all rings suck, his just suck less. Lol.

Don’t want to derail the thread but

ARC ring users, what do you feel makes them better than say nightforce/seekins/badger 2 piece rings?

Don’t want to derail the thread but

ARC ring users, what do you feel makes them better than say nightforce/seekins/badger 2 piece rings?
1 screw for scope and 1 for ring

they are low profile

they dont come loose

I have personally had good luck with the Vortex Precision Matched (Seekins) rings. Of the 2 you mention, I would go with those. I have also had Seekins branded rings with no complaints either.

If you are going to go past that then I recommend Spuhr, but that is an entirely different price point.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Another vote for the Vortex precision matched rings. I have several sets i have been very happy with. One set held my scope on my match rifle for several years without a single issue. They got replaced by a Spuhr when i went to a 34mm scope, and moved to another rifle.

Burris match rings are OK, for around 70 bucks, but hardware is better on the nicer rings. I would use the Burris on a trainer, though.

At your price point, just spend the extra 26 dollars, and then you never need to worry about it again.

Spending more money on rings makes no difference. SWFA rings or the $20 vortex rings will hold a scope in place as good as $180 rings. They just aren’t as kewl! I buy used Vortex or Seekins rings mostly but cheaper rings work just as well.