• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing When my hog hunt turned extremly dangerous!

Jeff in TX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2004
McKinney, TX
So gang ever have one of those moments where you could push the undo button or slap yourself in the back of the head and say "I could have had a V8"!

Well here's mine. I was hunting out at the ranch in Santo TX two weeks ago. I had killed a nice 9-point on my evening hunt. I decided around 11:00 PM to go for a night hog hunt. Took off on my 4-wheeler and 10 minutes later was parked and put a round into my .243 win Model 70 featherweight with 4.5 – 14 x32MM Burris short mag scope. On top of my scope I have a green laser genetics spot light. With my scope dialed all the way down to 4.5 I started down the dirt road. It was in the mid 30’s and dead calm outside and I mean calm. I had traveled about 250 yards and crossed the deep ravine/dried creek on my way to the stand. I came up the up other side of the ravine and could hear lots of animals walking and milling around just inside the wood line. I shined my laser to see if I could see anything. It’s very dense with briars and brush and the green laser light reflected off of everything right back into my eyes. I even tried my surefire flashlight with red lense and still couldn't see anything.

I traveled another 50 yards or so and whatever was in the woods was still paralleling me. I couldn’t tell if they were hogs or cows. I walked ahead for another 25 - 30 yards and I found an animal trail leading into the woods and quietly walked in. I shined the laser a couple of times but it was still too thick to see. I was in the woods about 40 yards or so from the dirt road and finally found a spot where I could shine the light between trees for about 30 yards or so. I was standing next to a small 4” diameter tree and stood quietly in the pitch dark for a 3 or 4 minutes listening the animals moving around and headed my way. It didn’t take long until I was completely surrounded by the animals and some were just mere yards away.

I flipped the laser on as I heard something walking very close to me and what should have been almost right in front of me. With the laser on I saw nothing. Finally I caught movement, I had a hog snout sticking out from behind a tree just 10’ (yes feet) away just to my left. I moved the laser to the right off of the hog and heard him take another couple steps. I moved the laser back and it was a very large white and black spotted hog standing broad side just 10' away. I've got to say that's the closest I've ever gotten to a live wild hog while standing on the same ground. I lifted my rifle but at 10’ the hog was just a blurrish blob in my 4.5 power scope. I lowered my rifle to make sure I was aiming at his head, put the crosshairs back on blob and made an almost tragic mistake. This was that very moment where I wish I could hit undo button or could of have had a V8! I pulled the trigger! The gun went bang, huge flash of light from the end of the barrel and the very moment all holy heck broke loose and there was just absolute total chaos happening! I had hogs running every which way and bunch of them right past me just a few feet away in just about every direction. The hog I shot, hit the ground and in a blink of an eye was back on his feet and blew past me like a freight train just 4’ away just on the other side of little tree I was standing next to. I hugged that little tree for what seemed like an eternity but was probably only 10 or 15 seconds of pure holy cow what on earth did you just do! Finally the woods quieted down and hogs began to move off. I said to myself, "well that didn't go according to plan dummy, HERE'S YOUR SIGN"!

I search for my hog for about 10 minutes and decided it was nuts to do this in the pitch dark. I went back to the camper, heart racing, adrenaline still pumping and tried to go to sleep. BTW, my wife was rolling in the bed laughing her rear end off at the story! She did manage to say I'm glad your alright honey through all her giggles! It took a while but I fell asleep until 7:30 when my alarm went off. Finding blood the next morning was no problems and trailing the hog the first hundred yards was pretty easy. Then the blood began to run out and finally stopped, 90 minutes later I had lost the trail all together. I walked the area in a grid for another hour and gave up. I have no idea where I hit the hog but it was hard enough that it went down, but not hard enough to keep him there.

I had to say that was the most exciting and dangerous hog hunt I’ve ever been on. I’m very lucky I wasn’t run over, hurt or even killed. Next time I may rethink my plan about entering the woods in the pitch dark and stalking hogs. Seems to me my tripods and box blind work very well and are much safer!

Re: When my hog hunt turned extremly dangerous!

Man I would have been scared shitless if I was in your situation... You're really lucky to have escaped being injured! Thanks for sharing your story, it was fun to read.

#1 always have a flashlight. #2 things sound a lot closer in the dark. #3 always leave the animal at least 1 clear escape and you'll know where to place that 2nd shot. #4 you broke some IMPORTANT RULES: you did not positively identify your target or its backstop. #5 in most cases , hunting an animal in its domain gives you simular results to cornerimg a dangerous animal. Not the best situation, but do-able if have the advantage . (i didnt see any planning or advantage there)
What you did great on is: proper stalking , (probably made GREAT use of the wind), good sense of tracking.
Your equipment could have been better suited.
I use a flashlight amd spotlight with red gel covers, and a shotgun for the brush. I normally dont get good planning of flight/fleeing direction in the brush, and occasionaly ill get a stupid one that runs towards me to escape. He normally eats shell 2 and it redirects the rest.

Sounds like you already have the skill. Youd probably be awesome with a NOD / NVG.
happy SAFE hunting

MGD,

I hear you on all your points. I carry two surefire flash lights and one of them has a red lens which I used. However it's a bit hard to use and hold a rifle up at the same time. The laser is attached to my rifle scope so it's a bit easier. Normally, no I have always told myself to stay out of thick woods in the middle of the night. The sound of hogs walking so close to the edge I couldn't help myself I just had to take a peek. I figured they would have seen or winded me and headed back along the creek which would have taken them to my feeder. I guess my movements sounded just like theirs.

Not being able to see in thick woods in the middle of night and not knowing/thinking which way the hogs would bolt when I pulled the trigger was 100% my bad! Let's just say I learned a bunch of what to do and more so what never to do again while hunting at night. Moving forward my tripods and box blinds work just fine!

Haha. Sounds like a great hunt except for the lost game part. I was in a similar situation years ago with a single shot rifle. It was an experience I will never forget I will leave it there! Don't want to hijack your thread.

I may have read over it but what bullets were you shooting? At 10' if you hit his shield I could about anticipate bullet failure unless its a well constructed round. Other than not having a tool kit, 1 shotgun, 2 45 auto pistols, and 3 million candle power light sounds like you did everything right! All jokes a side its hunting and the unexpected can always happen no matter how much you prep for it. The only mistake you made imo was not being sure of where you were aiming on the animal. Chalk it up as a lesson, wait for the shot. But at 10' being caught off guard like that its VERY hard to keep your cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may have read over it but what bullets were you shooting? At 10' if you hit his shield I could about anticipate bullet failure unless its a well constructed round. Other than not having a tool kit, 1 shotgun, 2 45 auto pistols, and 3 million candle power light sounds like you did everything right! All jokes a side its hunting and the unexpected can always happen no matter how much you prep for it. The only mistake you made imo was not being sure of where you were aiming on the animal. Chalk it up as a lesson, wait for the shot. But at 10' being caught off guard like that its VERY hard to keep your cool. </div></div>

I used hand loaded 85gr Barnes Triple Shock. I know it was a head shot though at 10' hard to see in the scope where I actually aiming due to the blur. When it comes to hog hunting the only shot I'll ever take is below the ear, back of the head or in the eye if he's looking at me. I never take a shoulder shot as i'm not much for trailing a wounded hog. I thought I had it lined up to hit him below the ear but it was just too blurry.

I have changed my setup now for hog hunting at night since my last hunt. I changed my scope to a new Zeiss 1.2-5x36 Conquest Duralyt and to a red LED Hogsniper Destroyer scope mounted spot light. I’m heading out next week to the ranch with my hunting buddy of 35 years and my oldest son for four nights of hog hunting. The hogs are tearing us up. Also, my buddy's bringing his suppressed AR-15, I'll be using my suppressed AR-10 and my son gets to use the .243 model 70.

Should be fun and hopefully we'll put a serious dent in them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Relentless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hence the nickname for that cartridge; "The .243 Woundmaster". </div></div>

I've always had good luck with my .243 win putting animals down quickly and efficiently. I used it on a 200 plus pound mule deer in Wyoming, a 260 yard shot and he ran 50 yards, took my Wyoming antelope last year at 300 yards and he dropped in his track, plus lots of whitetails and bunches of hogs.

My guess is I was too close and had a very poor sight picture due to the fact it was just a blurrish blob in the scope. Hence why I changed to a lower power scope for night hunting! I understand your point and to me it comes down to using a good/great bullet made for hunting and shot placement!