• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft When spotting for someone with a spotting scope

Lofty

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2008
Lenexa KS
What magnification power do you normally use when spotting targets from 400/800 yards or so?

I know the more you zoom in, the less field of view you get, less likely to spot trace, but you still need to see the target.

Would 10x be enough to get the job done usually?

Re: When spotting for someone with a spotting scope

A key duty of the spotter is to call wind...and reading mirage is a crucial componet of reading wind. It is often much easier to see mirage under magnification. In my view, a good spotting scope should be capable of 40 to 60x, but at the very least 25x.

10x is awful low power for spotting at those ranges.

I generally find I use ~30x for most spotting.

The best power would be between 20 - 24 Power. Best range for spotting traces and reading mirage.

Yeah, around 20X, maybe a bit less. Remember to play with the fine focus as well. Im no optics guru, but your more likely to see trace/swirl when you focus on target then back off a bit. Although your wind call is important you NEED to see impact and accuratly call an adjustment for that follow up shot.

If your spotter gives you the correct wind call the first time you dont have to worry about a follow up shot.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best power would be between 20 - 24 Power. Best range for spotting traces and reading mirage. </div></div>

That's what I was thinking......thanks.

I'm trying to figure out a spotting scope option that's in that magnification range, has a mil reticle and is light, easy to pack and durable.

I was considering the vortex recon rt in 10 power and then use their 2x doubler when I needed the extra zoom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRAAV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your spotter gives you the correct wind call the first time you dont have to worry about a follow up shot.
smile.gif
</div></div>

In an ideal world.
smirk.gif

I'm going to hop on the 20x bandwagon. I usually don't go any higher that that. at 1000 yrds I may dial it up to 25x or so. More important than magnification, however, is where you put the target in your scope. I prefer to put the target in the lower right quadrant of the mil-scale, focus out an eighth of a turn or so, and relax my eye like im looking at one of those 3D pictures (the name escapes me) Sorry for the over-zealous answer, I get carried away.