• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When the US Almost Nuked North Carolina - 1961

G

1961 Goldsboro incident: New details reveal just how close one of the hydrogen bombs was to exploding after the shock of crash-landing caused it to 'arm' | Mail Online

New details have emerged about the near fatal 1961 Goldsboro B-52 crash and how close one of the hydrogen bombs came to exploding after it crash landed.
The B-52 bomber broke up in the sky over North Carolina during a routine flight just three days after President John F. Kennedy’s inauguration on January 20.

According to a newly declassified report published on Monday by the National Security Archive, one of the bombs - which landed in free-fall and without the help of its parachute - was actually in the ‘armed’ setting by the time it hit the ground near Goldsboro.

If the shock of crash-landing had not also damaged the switch contacts, the weapon could have detonated, the report said.
‘The report implied that because Weapon 2 landed in a free-fall, without the parachute operating, the timer did not initiate the bomb’s high voltage battery (‘trajectory arming’), a step in the arming sequence,’ wrote Bill Burr of the National Security Archives.

‘For Weapon 2, the Arm/Safe switch was in the "safe" position, yet it was virtually armed because the impact shock had rotated the indicator drum to the "armed" position. But the shock also damaged the switch contacts, which had to be intact for the weapon to detonate.'
Burr concluded: ‘Perhaps this is what Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara had in mind, a few years later, when he observed that, “by the slightest margin of chance, literally the failure of two wires to cross, a nuclear explosion was averted.’”

article-0-1EA6BD5900000578-17_306x423.jpg

article-2654818-1EA6D39D00000578-180_634x442.jpg

article-0-182A63AB00000578-574_634x672.jpg

Last edited:
Would have given a whole new meaning to the term "North Carolina style BBQ."

If I am remembering correctly I believe one was also lost in the ocean just off Georgia also. I think that it was never recovered.

If I am remembering correctly I believe one was also lost in the ocean just off Georgia also. I think that it was never recovered.
It's still there just off Tybee island Georgia.

The nuke detonation in the picture is a fission weapon, which is an M-80 firecracker compared to our fusion weapons. Fat Man had a yield of 21 kilotons while the Mark 39 weighs in at whopping 2.0-2.5 MEGATONS.

For you guys with Netflix or Youtube access, there's a really good documentary on the Castle Bravo detonation called "Secrets of the Dead: World's Biggest Bomb" if I recall correctly. The weapon was designed with a 5-megaton yield and used a mix of Lithium 6 fuel, with what they thought was inert Lithium 7 fuel. They didn't know the chain reaction would strip a neutron from the Li7 thus turning it into more fuel, and a 15-megaton monster went off. Whoopsie!!!

This is the Castle Bravo shot from the documentary "Trinity and Beyond" also on Netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd1IFjBNNVo

According to Rudolph Herzog’s book, A Short History of Nuclear Folly, there have been 32 "Broken Arrow" events, meaning someone lost control of a nuke, since 1950. And between 6 and 8 nuclear devices were lost and never (known to be) recovered. Which does not include any tactical nukes the Russkies might have lost control of in the break-up of the USSR.

The Goldsboro event was the 6th, chronologically, and I think it put the fear of G-d into the engineers and convinced them to get serious about building trigger mechanisms that could not be accidentally activated.

I just watched the "Secrets of the Dead: World's Biggest Bomb"

One can only wander what 50 years of development has produced.

Awesome documentary isn't it? Scary as shit.

We have far smaller weapons now, relatively speaking, but that are more precise. I don't think we currently deploy anything above a few megaton yield.

B83 has a 1.2MT yield, the highest in current US inventory. Most US ICBMs have warheads in the 100-475kt range.

No need for "city killers" with the advent of extremely precise guidance systems.

There is a practical limit to how big a bomb can be because the earth's atmosphere is only so thick. Once your bombs are so powerful that they're hurling significant amounts of blast force out into space, unless you've gone to war with the Man in the Moon, there's not much point. It's more efficient to use more, smaller yield bombs.

The Soviet's 1961 Czar Bomba detonation (RDS-202) already was beyond the point of diminishing return, and they even had de-tuned it from 100 mt to 50-58 mt. That probably was the biggest BANG mankind ever will produce.

I understand that a 100Mt is not practical and that is why MIRV were implemented. Better to have more nukes on multiple targets.
But I'm sure other applications of nuclear weapons were produced which we don't know about.
There must be other improvement aside from making them more accurate.

The US did over a 1 000 test, I doubt it was to tune there grouping(sub moa?)
;)