• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When to anneal brass

Cordova13

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2012
Boise, ID
I'm shooting a 308 in a custom 700 and I'm winding after how many firings people anneal? I've been reading a lot on that. I can't seem to find where people add it in their process, like after I clean in my tumbler or after I resize?

I generally do it after each firing because I have the time to do it, and it doesn't take very long. I try to get the most out of my lapua brass, and I believe that annealing pretty much makes my brass close to immortal (at least so far).

Clean, then anneal. Size after annealing

Clean... anneal then resize.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

There is no one way. Some guys anneal every firing. I've been taught to do it every 3rd firing. Unless its virgin brass usually the second.

As for when I tumble anneal then retumble then continue with my reloading process per the norm.

Cordova,

If the brass feels "crunchy" when you size the necks, it's past time to anneal. I've annealed new brass from some vendors, and other brass after 8-10 firings.

HTH,
DocB