• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

when you have two good choices... (.308 155gr comparison questions)

dcnyli

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
So after testing both 155gr AMAX and 155gr Scenars in my .308, they both perform but while one may be better I am having a difficult time deciding.

My iPhone ballistics app is driving me insane with it's odd functions today, so I can some calcs thru JBM online too, here's what I got

155gr AMAX
500yd, 2090fps, 2.48mil drop
1000yd, 1357fps, 8.34mil drop
2.09 stability
jbm same round
500yd, 2032fps, 2.5mil drop
1000yd, 1276.8fps, 8.8mil drop
berger cals stability, 1.99SG

155gr Scenar
500yd, 2179fps, 2.32mil drop
1000yd, 1422fps, 7.69mil drop
1.77 stability
jbm same round
500yd, 2125fps, 2.4mil drop
1000yd, 1370.5fps, 8.1mil drop
berger cals stability, 1.69SG

lower node 155gr Scenar runs around 2925fps(this# is most likely wrong, because it jumps significantly and stabilizes over the next .2+ inc. over 3K) , and lower node AMAX around 2930fps. I currently have a great load with 175g VLD @2780fps that drill and was looking to expand, but unless there's a big advantage I don't see spending the time. The faster 155's look to give an edge, but wanting some experienced feedback before I start ripping whats left of my hair out...

-DC

There might not be a huge advantage either way but in these times I would have a back up load with different components. I have 3 different loads for my rifle and have been able to shoot through the scare. Just my opinion on the matter.

I can only guess that you are shooting at targets? In that regard, if you like your 175 VLD load, keep it. The heavier bullets (over 175) can and do, experience a flight variation when they drop from mach 1.2 at around 900-920 yards; they go tumble or cork-screw in flight. If you're on a range with target pullers, they can be risky to the pullers when they come in at a high angle with a crooked flight.----The lighter bullets are prone to flight variations due to less mass/inertia (although they have higher velocity), they lack the mass to remain steady.
The best idea, (I think) is to match your bullets to the task (first) and the wallet (second).
After 30+ years of messing with 308's-----I (this year) finally decided to shoot only 2 bullets. The 168 HPBT Nosler Comp Plus @ 2700 and the 165 SBT GK at the same 2700---no more dozen different loads and powders and bullets (and money)-----cause I'm only shooting paper now days.--------IF I want to "blast" something, I go to my .338, where I can use 185's (fast) or the traditional 250's (slower harder). There again, I limit the use to paper, so I've stopped spending so much to find out that most bullets put holes in most things.--------------It's just a thought.

I did try the A-Max---I liked it----it didn't cost much---it was accurate---and easy on the shoulder; (I get 50 more Noslers for the same money, though).
I tried some Lapua (way expensive)---accurate----I liked it---easy on the shoulder----hard on the wallet.
Back to the---match the bullet/money to the task.

In all the years I've shot-----I had the best results with 165 to 175 grain bullets---both in expense and predictability. (Not knocking any other bullets; they were all fun).

HERE'S AN ARTICLE--- from Rifleman's Journal---this fella has some extensive information that fit's nicely with your querry--------
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...LG1Npx7PIZDIp7mtGCKBORg&bvm=bv.69411363,d.cGU

Last edited:
Having a hard time finding the bullets you like?? If it's not broke don't fix it.