• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where best to conceal in an apt?

Gleason19d

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2005
Marquette, MI
Since most people have lived in an apartment at somepoint in thier lives, and most floorplans are generic in nature, and most do not allow for permanent modification, where/what is the best way to protect your firearms/valuebles?

Re: Where best to conceal?

Lockable gun cases chained to something is what I did when I lived in an appartment.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

I talked to the manager of the apartment complex I used to live in and she let me install a gun cabinet in one of the bedroom closets. It will probably be different from property to property so proceed at your own risk.

i use to have a large bed length metal box slid under my bed. I made it with 1/4 steel and locked it with a padlock. 1 person cant carry it. you can fit long guns in it as well.

I bolt a Stack On "safe" to the wall. I had my apt broken into once and I truly believe this saved my firearms.

It's bolted into the studs with some pretty beefy screws. Granted, a few mins and a crowbar and the SOBs stealing my stuff would have an awful handy box to carry my stuff away in...

It's better than nothing. I really need to look into the NRA insurance.

Get a cheap Stackon gun safe.

Put half a dozen pieces of pump pipe and a few bricks in it for weight and sound effect.

Hide your guns somewhere.

Get a non permanent install alarm system.

Smash and grabbers will most likely run away with the cheap safe full of junk. Good chance if it happens it will be someone who knows you have guns and that will be what they think they have.

Only works the first time though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.S.T. Glenn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a cheap Stackon gun safe.

Put half a dozen pieces of pump pipe and a few bricks in it for weight and sound effect.

Hide your guns somewhere.

Get a non permanent install alarm system.

Smash and grabbers will most likely run away with the cheap safe full of junk. Good chance if it happens it will be someone who knows you have guns and that will be what they think they have.

Only works the first time though...

</div></div>

+1, good idea. Leave it in the open somewhere and hide the real one. I've heard of guys stealing big safes full of guns, like the ones that weight 800+ pounds empty. If you can get it inside, they can get it out. In an apartment, bolt it to the wall and get a non perm alarm.

Bed bunker?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vob-w_kjYc

85% kidding, 15% not. :p

I have used as mentioned above above a large metal lock box under the bed. I also pull the bolts and store them seperately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used as mentioned above above a large metal lock box under the bed. I also pull the bolts and store them seperately. </div></div>

Make sure you release the tension on the firing pin before pulling it
smile.gif

Thanks,
- Koshy

How about a half ton AmSec Safe bolted to the floor with 4, 4" long 5/8's lag bolts...
laugh.gif
Works for me.

i never lived in a bad area in my apt but always felt the need to hide stuff. i kept my had guns in their gun cases in the air vent in the spare bedroom. no rifles when i lived in an apt

A gun safe. Period. No gun cabinets.

If you have felt the pain of having your place of living broken into and property stolen, a gun safe is cheep insurance.

My cousin had a gun cabinet. The theives used a butter knife to open it and take cuzz`s guns.

If you spend the money for guns protect them the best you can. Put some steel around them.

Any safe can be broken into if the thief has the time and tools. A bigger and heavier safe will take more time to get into. Heavier will be more diffucult to move. I cringe when I see gun safes advertised with 10ga walls. An axe will get inside one.

Spend some money to sleep well. I had guns in many locations at the house. I did not want to take vacations because of the fear of my guns being stolen. I bought a safe and felt much more confident that my guns would be home when I got there.

Good luck.

i just moved from an apt building and i have a cheap gun cabnet and i had it next to my dresser in the closet

Gun safe. Mine weighs 450 pounds empty, so when it's loaded with guns and ammo there's no need to bolt it to the floor..

Reactions: Luvman

I don't think any method is 100% foolproof but I've done as much as I can:

1. heavy metal gun safe bolted to the concrete pad.
2. two loud dogs that run freely in the house at all times.
3. insurance rider for 100% of the replacement value of the contents of the gun safe.
4. alarm system.

If all of that fails, I'm going gun shopping with my insurance money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gun safe. <span style="font-weight: bold">Mine weighs 450 pounds empty</span>, so when it's loaded with guns and ammo there's no need to bolt it to the floor.. </div></div>

Heh! I wish mine was that light. It took 6 people, one X-Large dolly and a whole lot of sweating and cursing to get my almost half ton AmSec safe up the stairs and into my 2nd floor Apt. I dred the I have to move!

USMCi I just moved my safe too. Fucker weighs 1200# empty. Try putting that in a truck with a friends help.

I’m currently in an apartment. I decided the best bet was to just properly insure everything. If they get stolen, burnt down or whatever i’m covered.

Don't be like my brother in law and get one of those American Flags with the false compartment. He thinks no one will look there or steal it without knowing its contents.

I bought a smaller gunsafe (back when my collection was smaller) 18 I think. Something some enough that I could move by myself with a dolly. Then put it in a closet and bolted a piece of 4” wide metal flat bar 1/2” thick to the top that was wider than the door, it did involve drilling holes in the top of the safe for the bolts. But I figure that’s more work and time than a thief would have to try to steal it. Very easy to remove as long as the safe door was open once it came time to move out

Reactions: cbrslider
Even though a 9 year old thread, still a good read lol

We still live in a "starter" home. 1400 sq ft garden home. All of my neighbors are retired or older and single. When I bought the house, I didn't think much about a safe because I had one pistol and a hunting rifle. Now, 3 years later, I have quite a few more. Wife bought me a 30 gun liberty colonial for father's day last year. I measured every door coming in and knew I wouldnt have an issue. Well, time to get it in the closet and I forgot to measure that door. Ended up taking the entire jam out to make it go in, then reinstalled everything.
Security, two dogs, safe lag bolted to the slab and a door that the safe will not go through makes me feel about as safe as one could while being out of town

Nothing like bumping a post from almost 9 years ago..

Holy shit... that little arrow next to the "next page" on the iPhone version keeps getting me... thought this was something I missed over my chritmas hiatus. My apologies :ROFLMAO:

Edit: said "little arrow" on the iPhone version jumps to the oldest page instead

Holy shit... that little arrow next to the "next page" on the iPhone version keeps getting me... thought this was something I missed over my chritmas hiatus. My apologies :ROFLMAO:

Edit: said "little arrow" on the iPhone version jumps to the oldest page instead

Lol, no worries..I just found it funny =)
There is good info in here,so is a good read still.

when I lived in an apartment I kept my handguns in a small safe stashed behind the HVAC air handler. Had a shotgun (870) with me and kept that leaned against the wall behind some clothes.

One thing to think about if living in an apartment, and above the main level, the weight of a large safe may not be able to be supported by the floor truss system. I would hate to be the one that has a safe fall through the floor. One thing I did when I had a couple safes in a closet, was to build a platform to distribute the weight across the entire floor footprint of the closet. I made it out of 3/4" plywood screwed down on top of 2x4's spaced 12" apart, on their side, running the full length of the platform. The hieght of the platform was a little over 2". I didn't do it, but you could screw lag bolts into the platform from inside the safe. Quite a few safes have holes in the four corners of the floor for this purpose.

A good cheap deterrent, I bought a couple of the contactor grade tool boxes with recessed lock holes (to prevent locks being cut) from Home Depot (GreenLee, JoBox, etc.), and have used them to store valuables in. They are easy to move around empty, but once you find a permanent place (closet, basement, etc.) fill the bottom with several layers of bricks, cases of ammo, bullets (reloading), and it will be very difficult to move. The only draw back, unless you special order, they are usually only 48" long, and not good for storing precision rifles with long barrels.

If a safe is an option check out the snipers hide safe group buy that I set up with my buddy who manufactures safes. He is giving a 10% discount and $300 flat rate shipping to anywhere in CONUS (may well be cheaper depending on where you live).
If a gun safe is not an option, buy a Kreg jig and build yourself a dining room table with a hinged top and false bottom. I did this once when I lived in an apt. Not a bad way to hide long guns.

When I worked in KY and stayed in a apt there, even an extended stay hotel. The two guns I brought and the 2 I bought up there had their own locking case. Shotgun and Rifle shared a double case, pistol had it's own, and picked up another case for my HD Shotgun after I bough it. Pistol was in and out of my truck everyday, so it spent very little time in the case. The other two cases were pad locked closed and pad locked through the bed frame diagonal supports, if they were taking my guns, they were taking the bed too.

Edit, I used the empty pistol case as a tell tale, if house keeping in the extended stay, or if the maintenance people looked where they were not supposed to. It never moved, or they were really good at putting it back, and putting the little piece of paper back in the hinge with no sign of tampering.

I put a dead bolt on the coat closet and used that as my safe. Also installed wifi cameras so I knew when anyone was in the apartment and what they were doing.