• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where can a guy go for long range training beyond what I learned in boot camp?

Nuttcase21

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2014
I've always had an affinity for long range shooting, but being from new York doesn't really afford me the luxury of a range longer than 300 yards. That being the case I've never actually thought about a class until I moved to north dakota and now have the room to shoot. Building a few long range rigs now but need the basics first. Where can a guy go?

Gunsite
Rifles Only
Accuracy 1st Development Group
start with the SH online training
etc
etc
etc

Work your way out, longer and longer start at 300 then 600 then 1000 when ya get that down now you are ready to go shooting out on the mesa's where you can stretch it out ! Only one issues holding you back and it's a bunch of skills you will pick up on the way or you will not make it no matter how good your rifle and optik are! Lotta great reading here on this site and I need to buckle down just like you and do my part as I have access to a 1000 yd range but they qualify you at 600 & 1000 before you can use the range by yourself they also go thru a long range qualification course which is around an 8 hour class room course prior to a 1/2 day shooting at 300, 600 & 1000 yds! Do you reload or you shooting factory stuff and what caliber ya looking at ?

I've always had an affinity for long range shooting, but being from new York doesn't really afford me the luxury of a range longer than 300 yards. That being the case I've never actually thought about a class until I moved to north dakota and now have the room to shoot. Building a few long range rigs now but need the basics first. Where can a guy go?

Like your former residence I live in RI and only have access to a 200 yd range...not too long. Occasionally I make the trip to NH where there is a much longer range. It became apparent to me that some education helps.

I can't tell you how invaluable the training section on this forum have been. It costs $9.95/month. You can subscribe for as long as you want. It will teach you a great deal. Practice will solidify the good habits you learn. IMO no training is bad as you will learn and internalize bad habits that will be hard to break when you receive proper training. After you have mastered the information found in the training area; you can seek more advanced personal instruction at a training facility. Gunsite is great and I am sure there are plenty more that people here will describe.

Good luck

BR,

I went to here: Badlands Tactical Training Facility | Ready, Aim, Fire!

It was well worth it. Taught by Marine/LE snipers. $600 for 4 full days of class/shooting 100 to 1000 yards + unknown distances. They put you up in a barracks style situation for FREE. You get a certificate valid for LE certifications etc. AND once you graduate, you have an open invitation to come back and use their range anytime. Can't beat that...

I don't see LR being different than HP or Small Bore shooting. What I do see are shooters, who do not know how to build a steady position, having difficulty getting consistent recoil resistance. In addition, these shooters, not being capable of maximizing bone/artificial support to minimize arc of movement, mistake these errors with not correctly countering for the effect of wind and weather conditions, which adds to their difficulty with it all. Bottom line, instead of looking for increased distance, work on perfecting your position at short range, with the goal of having the bullet path intersect point of aim with no measurable value between point of aim and bullet path. Once you reach that goal then you will be able to discern the cause of error at LR and progress accordingly.

Last edited:
Black Hat Training Corp does precision rifle classes in central PA. They usually have shooting just past 1000 yards.

Sorry about the wrong forum, i didn't even think about this being the wrong one. I'm shooting factory stuff now in a 556 build I have and I'm gonna use factory in both my precision 556 & 308 builds that are in progress. Once I get some trigger time and make improvements I'll switch over to reloads and tailor my rounds then.