• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Where can I find a tikka t3x tac a1 replacement barrel

Cody S

Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Im wanting to be on the lookout for a replacement barrel for my tikka t3x tac a1. It shoots good but im looking for something on a bartlein, krieger or hawkhill blank. Would my only options be to have a gunsmith spin one up or can I order one ready to go from a site?

Is this the only place? He does not have bartlein, krieger, or hawkhill barrels prefit... anyone could probably do one to order if I sent them the blank. I am looking for someone who has those ready to go if thats possible

Cody S I cut them to order as we discussed in our emails. I use Spencers and Rock Creeks on the barrel you're looking for. The vast majority of this forum has no idea who Spencer barrels are because they used to be made and never sold outside of the BR world. 100-something records at midrange and long range in about 40 years... Clay sold everything to MPA and taught them how to make the barrels. They hammer, to my knowledge I'm pretty much the only one getting them out of the shop because MPA is so busy they can't make enough to just sell blanks. I get them because Phil helps me out and did me a big favor when I couldn't get blanks from ANY of the 3 you reference on a reasonable schedule. Good barrels are not an unlimited supply.

I use a lot of Rock Creek and now PROOF SS barrels because the demand here is greater than the supply. This is a good thing for us, but it leaves me calling around looking for odds and ends on the shelf from time to time.

If you supply the blank from one of the folks above I'll cut it. I don't think we ever discussed that aspect, if we did I may have missed the query. Not a problem, just get a blank you want cut and keep the weight under a Heavy Palma unless you are looking for a shouldered install.

Reactions: Billiam1211
my rock creek barrel on my tikka is a hammer. I will try and use them as much as I can. why are you going pre fit for a switch barrel set up?

I don't understand, I thought you could get a barrel, thread it on and use the barrel nut to head space on the tikka t3x tac a1
when this creedmoor barrel goes out, I plan to get a new cut rifled barrel, and install and headspace it myself to insure I get tighter headspace than tikka's come with. I prefer go+.002

I don't understand, I thought you could get a barrel, thread it on and use the barrel nut to head space on the tikka t3x tac a1
when this creedmoor barrel goes out, I plan to get a new cut rifled barrel, and install and headspace it myself to insure I get tighter headspace than tikka's come with. I prefer go+.002

I'm now confused... what are you looking for specifically that I don't already offer?

I don't prefit Tikka barrels as a shelf-stocked item on anything other than Spencer and Rock Creek blanks. The 3 barrel makers you prefer would require you to provide the blank and I'll be happy to cut it into a barrel nut headspaced Tikka for you. Then you can set it wherever you want for headspace.

The other approach is to simply send in your receiver and I will make a custom fit, shouldered install for it and then save a spec sheet for your receiver so that I can replicate shouldered barrels at a later date which are specifically set to your action and headspaced based on the shoulder. No barrel nut, no headspace gauge, etc needed to replace it down the road. And on special request they can but cut to GO+0.002 as opposed to my usual approach which is GO+0.0005 for custom "prefits"

Huh? Im not very smart at this whole thing, but ya thats what I would do is supply you with the blank and let you fit it and I can headspace it at home with the barrel nut and my go gauges, thank you.

Proof's seem to be nice but imho the gun is a bit too light already for PRS comps and I am afraid the proof would weigh even less than the factory barrel. I'm going to get about as thick of a contour as I can, probably M24 if it will work out.

Proof's seem to be nice but imho the gun is a bit too light already for PRS comps and I am afraid the proof would weigh even less than the factory barrel. I'm going to get about as thick of a contour as I can, probably M24 if it will work out.

Proof makes just regular stainless barrels also and I hear they shoot.

I won a proof SS 6mm barrel, it shoots crazy good. Cut rifled 5groove similar rifling shape to the 5r, very happy.

I'm now confused... what are you looking for specifically that I don't already offer?

I don't prefit Tikka barrels as a shelf-stocked item on anything other than Spencer and Rock Creek blanks. The 3 barrel makers you prefer would require you to provide the blank and I'll be happy to cut it into a barrel nut headspaced Tikka for you. Then you can set it wherever you want for headspace.

The other approach is to simply send in your receiver and I will make a custom fit, shouldered install for it and then save a spec sheet for your receiver so that I can replicate shouldered barrels at a later date which are specifically set to your action and headspaced based on the shoulder. No barrel nut, no headspace gauge, etc needed to replace it down the road. And on special request they can but cut to GO+0.002 as opposed to my usual approach which is GO+0.0005 for custom "prefits"
Bohem, I'm looking for a prefit barrel for my 6.5CM Tac A1, too, but I'm not sure how to do that. When I break down the Tikka, what I thought was a barrel nut is really just an anchor for the fore end. Do you have any knowledge on these rifles? My guess is that I will need a shouldered barrel, but I've always heard prefit barrels must use a barrel nut to set headspace. Can you confirm? This is my first foray into a non-AR barrel, so please excuse my ignorance.

Cody, just order one of PVA’s shouldered prefits in caliber and contour that you want. Screw it onto your gun. Torque it to spec, confirm with gauges but PVA’s stuff is always good. Go shoot.
this is your answer.
literally just call PVA and tell them what you need.
P.S. don’t get too wrapped around the axle on barrel manufacturer. There are a bunch of companies that make great barrels.

Bohem, I'm looking for a prefit barrel for my 6.5CM Tac A1, too, but I'm not sure how to do that. When I break down the Tikka, what I thought was a barrel nut is really just an anchor for the fore end. Do you have any knowledge on these rifles? My guess is that I will need a shouldered barrel, but I've always heard prefit barrels must use a barrel nut to set headspace. Can you confirm? This is my first foray into a non-AR barrel, so please excuse my ignorance.
You can google "tikka shouldered prefit barrel" and find multiple companies making them, including PVA.

I'm with MK20. I ordered a shouldered barrel from Patriot Valley Arms for a Tikka T3x TAC A1, and it's awesome.

I'm with MK20. I ordered a shouldered barrel from Patriot Valley Arms for a Tikka T3x TAC A1, and it's awesome.

Do you happen to remember what the maximum barrel contour was that'd fit through the forend adapter?

I got a heavy varmint profile and it had plenty of room. I think the hanguard can accommodate any profile available.

Reactions: Bp90