• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

where can I get a good cleaning kit for my 308?

the once-ler

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
SC
looking for a good kit with a decent rod, preferrably one with all the solvents and accessories I may want?

Re: where can I get a good cleaning kit for my 308?

Go to Sinclair and pic any 308 rod, (that is long enough to extend past your barrel with a bore guide in your action), bore guide (for you action), .308 jag, .308 brush and patches

As for solvents I've had good success with WipeOut and Patch out.

You also might want an action cleaning kit from them. I just use brake cleaner to clean the inside of my action and bolt.

I'd like to see a chamber brush for a .308 AR-10 like the GI 5.56mm version.

That's what I've been unable to find.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see a chamber brush for a .308 AR-10 like the GI 5.56mm version.

That's what I've been unable to find. </div></div>

They make em. Seen them at the shows in Houston many times.

.308 Cleaning Checklist
w/ links:

file:///Users/esminbritt/Desktop/Assymetrical%20&%20Symetrical%20%20/Rifles/Proshot%20Rods.webarchivehttps://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=486
http://www.mpro7.com/
http://www.skdtac.com/SLIP2000-Extreme-Weapons-Lubricant-p/slp.105.htm

I didn’t buy a kit. I chose a kit piece by piece and I’m glad I did. Above, you will find links to sites where you can find the products I list below

I use a Pro Shot Micro-polished stainless steel, uncoated rod. The 36” rod just fits all the way through my rifle and bore guide (J Dewey Bore guide). I have a Rem 700 .308 R5 Milspec 24” bull barrel. Make sure to get a rod for a minimum .27 calibre bore. Smaller rods have too much slop & can damage the bore, throat, & crown. It’s also important to use a bore guide to ensure that the rod goes in straight. The Pro Shot rod came with a patch holder and a tapered adapter to hold smaller brushes. Make sure to use this adapter or else there will be a sharp ridge where the brush seats on to the rod. That ridge can also damage the bore, the throat, & the crown. There is much debate over whether to use a coated or an uncoated rod. Pro Shot does a very nice job w/ their micro-polishing. Coated rods can accumulate abrasives and those abrasives can get embedded in the coating. That abrasive can come off in your gun. Plastic shavings can also be scraped off the coating. You obviously don’t want plastic shavings in your. As long as you use a bore guide, high quality uncoated rods are safe for the barrel, & they also don’t accumulate abrasives. Whatever you do, get a one piece rod. Segmented rods are problematic for a few reasons. Just don’t do it

As for cleaners, the MPro7 cleaners are quite good. The copper cleaner works very well with only 2 passes and a brush in between. Don’t let the solutions mix in the barrel. It can damage the metal surface. Always dry patch the bbl in between using the cleaner and the copper remover. A friend told me that Hoppes 9 only gets out about ½ of the carbon. I did a quick test to see. I did 4 cycles of Hoppes (patch, brush, patch). The last pass came out clean. Then I immediately did 4 more cycles using MPro 7 general cleaner. The first 2 were filthy and the 3rd came out clean. So there was A LOT more carbon left that the hopes didn’t dissolve. I tried a control test the next time I finished shooting, using the MPro7 first this time. 3 cycles of MPro and the and 3rd came out clean. Then I ran 3 cycles using Hoppes and all 3 came out spotless. Enough Said.

For lubrication, all good lubes will most likely be good enough for most people. I use SLIP 2000 EWL (Extreme Weapons Lube). That stuff holds up very well. Militec-1 is also supposed to be good stuff.

I use brass brushes to clean the bore.. I also use a plastic bristled brush and sponge, both for .45 ACP pistol cleaning, to clean the chamber, receiver, etc. of my bolt gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see a chamber brush for a .308 AR-10 like the GI 5.56mm version.

Pro-Shot Products sells them. Here's the link:

http://www.proshotproducts.com/Military-Style-308-Chamber-Brush_p_509.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looking for a good kit with a decent rod, preferrably one with all the solvents and accessories I may want? </div></div>

Check Brownells/Sinclair or Midway USA.

I just ordered a whole mess of stuff, but I did it separately as suggested.. Rod, bore guide,brushes, solvents, patches, bore mops. Same sort of stuff I used to use years ago just the names of the shit changes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered a whole mess of stuff, but I did it separately as suggested.. Rod, bore guide,brushes, solvents, patches, bore mops. Same sort of stuff I used to use years ago just the names of the shit changes. </div></div>

You wont be sorry. Did you get a coated or a stainless rod?

I bought a 10-pack of them on Amazon.

Possum Hollow makes boreguides for just about every action out there. Their Delrin products have worked well for me.