• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

F T/R Competition Where can I get a good Range box?

Re: Where can I get a good Range box?

The traditional 'range box' setups that I've seen vary wildly... but most of the more modern designs from places like HPS (England), Center the Group (Canada) or Hoham/Sinclair (no longer made, AFAIK) tend to put an emphasis on light weight and collapse for packing for travel (think air lines). As such... they don't handle much weight very well, and may start coming apart after a couple years - or at least my HPS has started to. They aren't exactly cheap either - I paid approx. 65 pounds for mine in 2009 (~$85 USD), and it was only that cheap because I bought it literally *at* Bisley, so no international shipping. Both the HPS and the CtG boxes are north of $100 USD now, plus S&H.

I really wish Hoham or someone would start making a US version again. The one feature that the Hoham - and the older HPS that I have - had that was really nice was that the lid propped up into a sweet little wind/rain/sun shelter for your ammo, timer, etc. Most models now have an 'optional' rain shield as their lid folds down, not up.

Other options might include one of the BR carts from Sinclair, a Tipke folding cart, or a Rugged Gear shooting cart. The base model of the Rugged Gear cart is about $50 more than the shooting boxes mentioned above, and if what you really want is something for hauling your gear around, it works nicely. Not as handy on the firing point, but definitely takes a load off when hauling between yard lines.

I just got one of these for $35 and removed the lower drawers. It accomplishes the rain/wind/sun protection goal and I can still fit all my stuff in it without it being too big or heavy. Smaller items can be stored in the top sections. I tried it out for the first time this past Sunday at Oak Ridge and it worked great:

Plano Tackle Box with Front Opening

Here's what I use as a range box

http://www.lowes.com/pd_395269-61896-TBD_4294707881__?productId=3698620&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

I recently lased a 2012 Nissan 370Z and this range box fit in the passenger seat. It holds everything I have needed for any range trip. It rolls easily over rough surfaces and is extremely heavy duty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JGorski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for a range box instead of lugging around my milk crate. Any suggestions, links? </div></div>

Hell, I'd be redneck proud showing up to a match with a milk crate.
wink.gif

It is as stout as you'll find, put some wood sides on it.
Miles

You might give some consideration to using a backpack. It will free up both your hands for other things. You indicate your leasing a car, since a pack has no sharp edges its much easier on the cars interior. I just upgraded to a Eblerestock X3, now I can slide my rifle in the pack with the stock exposed, or use the protective cover for transporting things safely.

The pack is also big enough to store a chrono and small bipod. If you are going shooting and someone else is driving, having a single piece to carry all your gear makes it less likely you forget things.