• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where can you get foam cut for pelican cases?

mike70

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2004
IL
I tried a search and came up with nothing.
Where can you get custom closed cell foam cut to your specs?

Re: Where can you get foam cut for pelican cases?

you will save a BOAT load of cash buying a blank and cutting it nice and careful yourself.

BUT, try here. they should be able to hook you up.
GunCruzer

I would suggest when you trace it out the first time...take your caliper and get exact measurements of things like your forgrip, barrel, scope, stock....and then measure your trace to make sure your trace isnt to "sloppy"
That way you can do a FINISHED trace to send them.
You could also see if sending them a HIGH resolution picture would work, as long as it is square to the camera so it isnt distorted, it should work.

Here are some things to check out too
VERY GOOD DIRECTIONS TO DIY

Similar link on the Hide

Looking for some one who precuts it to your specs.
I've jacked up to many foams cuting them myself.
Looking for them cut like Knight does for the MK11.

Thanks c bass16 did not see your post till i sent the above post.

The foam insert in my case was hacked by the previous owner of the rifle and I've since placed a new scope on it too. I'm looking to replace the foam. Can someone point me in the direction of a new foam insert? It's 2" thick open cell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The foam insert in my case was hacked by the previous owner of the rifle and I've since placed a new scope on it too. I'm looking to replace the foam. Can someone point me in the direction of a new foam insert? It's 2" thick open cell.</div></div>

Try Hooper here on the hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Seaquist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">www.casecad.com has an impressive website. It bis probabley a little pricey but they will cut precisley what you draw.

Jay Seaquist </div></div>

that place is quite expensive compared to caseclub.com

mike70,

All I'll give you is my technique:

- Layout everything where you want it on the foam
- Trace it with a black Sharpie
- Use a long utility knife (not the fat guys, the shorter blades that are like 6" long and 1/2" tall that you can break off to get a sharper segment) and with it all the way out, use a sawing motion and be patient.
- Do this and you can knock out a bolt rifle in about 5 minutes. I've got 3 pelicans and several foam inserts depending on what match/kit I need to take for a particular match/training session.

Rich

ETA: For foam, I usually hit Cases4Less.com as a start. They're cheap and took care of me before my last deployment.

You can find the foam on Ebay sometimes really cheap.

Layout gear, trace it, cut it with an electric carving knife.

$9 at Wally World

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Layout gear, trace it, cut it with an electric carving knife.

$9 at Wally World </div></div>

What he said.

I've built an electric hot wire foam cutter. I've used extra long razor blades. But the electric knife method has given me the best results:

newcase.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The electric knife works great at cutting, but I'm not quite sure on the Sharpie. If you don't get rid of every last trace of Sharpie marking just right, it looks rather poorly. YMMV. </div></div>

I have a trick for that...
wink.gif

Instead of using sharpie, I outline my item with tape - electrical, painter's, masking, whatever, so long as it's not too tacky.

Lay everything out BACKWARDS to how you want it to be once the foam is cut, then just flip the foam over so the sharpie would then be on the bottom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: subgunr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CNC waterjet does a nice job ! </div></div>

That is a bit overkill, lol! But now that you have me thinking....I may need to give my buddy a call....

I would love to duplicate this for my other Pelicas

Pelican that came with my DSR-1

includes space for barrel conversion

rdevrv.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The foam insert in my case was hacked by the previous owner of the rifle and I've since placed a new scope on it too. I'm looking to replace the foam. Can someone point me in the direction of a new foam insert? It's 2" thick open cell. </div></div>
Try your local camping supply store. I buy replacement foam at the local suplus outfitter, who sells it for camping beds and so on. It's less than $10 for a 2" thick piece cut to size.

Thank you SH for this thread. I have been wondering about this topic for months. I am placing an order for closed cell foam this week. Luckily I got access to a laser cutter, now I guess my buddy will have to figure out how to tell his machine to cut the dimensions of my rifle that I will trace out. He makes custom aircraft and motorcycle parts, it can't be any harder than that, right?

Watched a good You Tube video on this subject yesterday. Outlind with soapstone and electric carving knofe.

I cut a lot of gun cases and have found the very best way to get a crisp, clean cut on Closed cell or open cell is a water-jet. For the smaller sizes I use a hand cutter with a foot that keeps my cuts straight up a down. I Strongly suggest not using a hot wire cutter because the fumes are VERY Toxic. Ill be happy to give a picture, step by step of how i do it if anyone is interested.
Peter
Carolina Custom Foam

photo 1 copy.jpgphoto 2 copy.jpgphoto 3 copy.jpgphoto 4 copy.jpgphoto 5 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Glad this subject came up, I need new foam.

They have great prices. I was looking at other foam sites who specialize in replacement Pelican foam and they are wanting $50-75 for a 3 pack set.

Is this the type of foam I will be needing?
Packaging, Padding, Foam Sheets, Open-Cell Foam - Charcoal Foam

If it the stuff i need I can get 3 pieces to my 1750's dimention for $19.50 + $12.99 shipping

That's NOT closed cell foam, it's open cell and crappy, in my opinion.

I cut a lot of gun cases and have found the very best way to get a crisp, clean cut on Closed cell or open cell is a water-jet. For the smaller sizes I use a hand cutter with a foot that keeps my cuts straight up a down. I Strongly suggest not using a hot wire cutter because the fumes are VERY Toxic. Ill be happy to give a picture, step by step of how i do it if anyone is interested.
Peter
Carolina Custom Foam

View attachment 38117View attachment 38118View attachment 38119View attachment 38120View attachment 38121

Found your webpage, I'll be in touch.

Last edited:
Peter
Carolina Custom Foam

View attachment 38117View attachment 38118View attachment 38119View attachment 38120View attachment 38121

May I ask where you are located?

Thanks,

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

I did not read all of the preceding posts. I too attempted to get a custom fit and found a company that would do it if I ordered a thousand. One of a kind is no way.The foam that usually comes in a case is poor quality. The black stuff that resembles styrofoam but is much better- my 5seven case has it-is the stuff to get.Good luck.