• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where do I begin.

Festeraxp

Evil is Powerless, If the good are unafraid
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 23, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    I have multiple ars in different calibers. Now that I have stumbled soon this community. How should I go about this. Do I buy a barrel first and build around the barrel? Do I buy a chassis and build around that? Remember I’m just starting out with building a real nice precision rifle. So if you were me and just starting out how would you do it, or how have you done it?

I would also add that you don’t have to build/have a smith put your rifle together. Depending on goals you could find a nice rifle off of the shelf that fits most if not all of your goals.

I purchased Remington 700’s and put money into them. In the long run I didn’t save any money and they don’t shoot as well as some other rifles had I spent more up front. Every situation is different and the end goal should always be kept in mind.

Okay I’m glad you brought that up. I just got a Winchester .308 xpr. Won it at a gun bash. I can go from there correct? Or am I way off base.

Okay I’m glad you brought that up. I just got a Winchester .308 xpr. Won it at a gun bash. I can go from there correct? Or am I way off base.

At free .99 you’re ahead of the game. Once again you have to decide what the end goal is and go from there. I’d roll with that until you decide what you like/don’t like about it. By then, you should have plenty of rounds down range.

I just see so many bad ass setups on here it blows me away. I would like to be proficient with 500 yard shots. I know the .308 can do it. But everyone is on the 6.5 kick.

Like Sheldon said, you need to define the parameters first. Budget is important, how much can you spend? If I wanted a badass rig, I wouldn’t be starting with your XPR, but your budget may box you in to that. What is it about the badass rigs you like? Is it just a look, or certain features? Be specific about those things, and the intended use. Is this a gun that goes from the trunk to the bench and back, or are you gonna be layin in the dirt bangin steel? Competition perhaps? Spec’ing out builds is fun, enjoy!

The various popular 6.5’s are no kick/fad, they’re a large performance increase over a .308, with less recoil. Starting out new like you are, the Creedmoor is a no brainer imo.

Last edited:
    I was going to suggest simply to get a quality off the shelf gun and you'll be good. But since you already got one for free, that's even better. What is it that you want to accomplish with your rifle? How do you plan to use it?

Your goal is important, as said above. If you really like the bulld process, then that is one path. Starting out, you may be better served buying one of the great affordable semi-customs now available and shoot that until or unless you have something else in mind.

I started out by buying a used precision rifle here on the Hide in what I wanted and have never regretted it, even 8000 rounds and two barrels later.

Check out the MPA or one of the new ready to shoot rifles in 6.5 or even 6mm and start shooting. It's a great time to be shooting long range precision.

Then I will start looking thanks for the awesome advice so far. Guess I shouldn’t have pulled the trigger on the Wilson Combat 300 HAM’R. Lol.

I picked an action first - Then you know what chassis you will need (short or long)
    I picked BigHorn Action with swappable bolt heads and ARC BarLoc for caliber change - Then you can pick the barrel/barrels you want

Lots of great rifles and barreled actions for sale here on the hide. I would get my budget and put more importance on the optic. Get a solid rifle for starting, plan on upgrading it with chassis, upgraded barrel, etc as time goes by and your skills get better. Don’t forget to leave $$$ for trigger time!

Reactions: Supersubes
    When I first started i decided I wanted to hit steel targets out to 1000 yards. I decided on the .260 Rem cartridge because that was the desired one at the time. I bought a barrel and a Stiller action, had a gunsmith put those together and then ii installed the trigger and dropped it into a AICS chassis. That allowed me to improve my fundementals and work my way out to 1000 yards. I have that rifle for sale since I bought a Accuracy International to practice with .308 Win and swap barrels for a .260 Rem.

The 6mm and 6.5mm cartridges are a little easier to shoot than a .308 Win, and even moreso than the 300 Win Mag.

Reactions: Graywolf.260
    When I first found this page (~2005 I think), I read and read these forums and took as much info as I could in. I then bought a used GAP 308 in an AICS chassis. Great rifle.

There are so many options these days, it's crazy.
    I would do a 6.5 CM to start with the precision rifle your budget will allow - John Hancock rifle, GAP, SAC, Desert Tech, AI, the list goes on.

There are so many options to choose from.

Goal -> Caliber -> Budget -> Action/Barrel/Chassis/Scope -> Smith -> Shoot

I like this answer the best so far. I’d also add unless you have unlimited funds to consider the used guns here rather building new. Furthermore if you ever think you are going to sell or bail on this setup the more you get off the beaten path the bigger the beating will be on resale.

Reactions: 300ATT
    WTF is your goal, 500 yards and what? Paper or steel targets, competition or meat for the table? You have all you need to shoot 500 yards with the ARs and the raffle queen. Maybe get some optics that give you a bit more resolution @ 500 yards.

Then you will be @ several rifles with the desire for one more as most of us do.

I started the same process as you about 2 years ago, I knew from the start I wanted a custom action and Bartlien barrel although any of the top end barrels are a no brainer so pick what's available in the caliber and twist you need or want.
    I am a very patient person so I waited until I found a Kelbly Atlas in stock for a good price as well as the Bartlien. 264 barrel with 7.5 twist and sent the barrel to Kelblys for chamber and machine work.
    I have been shooting the AR's and other bolt guns I have in between the building and buying process to keep me happy and from jumping the gun and making an impulse buy.
    As others have said just shoot what you have for now as it sounds like you allready have several rifles capable of handily shooting to 500 yards and start planning your build or saving for a turnkey package if your not a tinkerer.

I would change slightly:

Projectile -> Velocity Goal -> Cartridge -> Action -> Barrel/Chassis/Scope/Trigger -> Smith -> Shoot

Whenever I start a new project, I start with the bullet I want to shoot. Once you know the bullet and how fast you want to shoot it, the rifle almost builds itself.

I would like to do steel targets with the option that if I went to a range with 1000 yard target. I would love to give it a shot. As for right now goal is. 300-500 yards within an inch. What I was asking is what have all of you started with. I see $1000 chassis $1000 bolts $1000 barrels. Then I’m like wow thats with out the optic and other parts. I want to get better and better with the option to pass the precision rifle down to my son. However I’m not in the market for a $7000 gun at the moment. I’m on a special team at work but building entry and room clearing is with the 870 tactical or ar. I wouldn’t mind eventually being able to try out for the special rifle team. I just was trying to figure out where do I begin. You guys have given me awesome answers this far and I thank you.

Reactions: rsb
    While you are deciding on your ultimate rig... you would do well to shoot the fuck out of that 308. Trade in will be the same, and you will be better for it.

Better yet, learn to call wind with that 308, and you will be a regular savant moving to any of the wind cheaters.

where do you live?

find out what is available for training in your area and take a precision scoped rifle class.

most lower level courses will go over equipment while at the same time you get to see what others are using.

your new won rifle will be able to work for you until you get the answers to some of the questions people are asking you here.

shoot what you have for now.

move on later only if you need to or have enough knowledge to decide where you want to go with this hobby.

buy something now you will only want to change it later when you get more experience.

Reactions: rsb
    If i had it to do over, i would take a class first. Preferably somewhere that offered rental guns or a loaner. At the class you will obviously learn a lot about shooting, but you will also get to see what everyone else is running and you could start to get an idea of what you wanted. Talk to the instructors and other students about their gear so you can make an informed decision.

I know the classes sound expensive, but if it will help you buy gear right the first time, it's worth the cost of admission. Not to mention, getting a solid foundation in your fundamentals from someone who knows what they are talking about will get you up to speed a lot faster than sending hundreds, if not thousands, of rounds down range. If you really get into precision shooting, the cost of a class will end up getting lost in the shuffle.

If i had it to do over, i would take a class first. Preferably somewhere that offered rental guns or a loaner. At the class you will obviously learn a lot about shooting, but you will also get to see what everyone else is running and you could start to get an idea of what you wanted. Talk to the instructors and other students about their gear so you can make an informed decision.

I know the classes sound expensive, but if it will help you buy gear right the first time, it's worth the cost of admission. Not to mention, getting a solid foundation in your fundamentals from someone who knows what they are talking about will get you up to speed a lot faster than sending hundreds, if not thousands, of rounds down range. If you really get into precision shooting, the cost of a class will end up getting lost in the shuffle.

Cant agree enough because as important as seeing what works you will inevitably see what doesnt work.

Someone always shows up with something inappropriate.

Its painful watching as they struggle through the class and moan how when they shoot on their own range failure such as they are having that day never happens.

Granted good instructors try to make the most of it for them but the real issue comes down to the fact the individual read the course expectations and figured they were so awesome their Olympic AR and ninja skills would be better than any other rifle out there.

OP you wont have that problem with your service grade .308.

If you can shoot 3-4 MOA prior to class and have the ability to listen you will be 1.5 perhaps 1 MOA or less by end of class.

Go to local matches, RO, talk to people, and ask to handle their stuff. Get a feel for what you like and don't like before you buy anything.

Or begin the vicious cycle of buying and selling shit until you figure it out :)

Reactions: rsb and Bender
    Check and see if @NOMAD or @Rob01 have any PSR1 classes in your area.

They will give you good training and you can come on the Hide and see how they praised you as the best student they ever had.

Or begin the vicious cycle of buying and selling shit until you figure it out :)

I've been there...Hell I'm still there. When i had money to spend, i didn't know what to buy. Now that i know what to buy, i don't have money to spend. Since we're talking about it, does anyone want to buy a nice 6.8 spc? Haha

Check and see if @NOMAD or @Rob01 have any PSR1 classes in your area.

They will give you good training and you can come on the Hide and see how they praised you as the best student they ever had.

Lol thanks. I think. ?

Did we ever call you the best?

Okay guys I’m out here in south central Pennsylvania. I’ll ask.

We will be doing a class in WV at Shadow Hawk next year which isn't far from you. Keep an eye out.

Mine would be more like this:
    Idea > shoot > budget > Try to save money with mediocre equipment > shoot > try to not reload > Action/Barrel/Chassis/Scope > blow budget > find what does not work > buy better equipment > start reloading > blow revised budget > shoot > shoot

Reactions: Sheldon N