• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where do you get your glasses?

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I hate shopping for glasses, was just at Costco, they didn't have any frames I like. Too much goofy shit, and brand names on the sides that were like billboards. I don't want to be a walking advertisement, just something simple and elegant.

Any good places to buy glasses? Any good all American brands? I'd rather not support Luxxotica if I don't have to.

Shopping for glasses is one of my least favorite things to do, perhaps there's some good all American companies that have good frames that I can support.

Where do you guys get your glasses?

The three pack I got from Tractor Supply have lasted longer than any others I've tried.

• Haha
Reactions: 10ring'r
Dollar tree. Its the one Chinese item I compromise on... or you can order from Faggot Bay...
10 pair delivered to you home for $15.95

I go to sears of all places.. in the burbs of Dallas the on site optometrist is pretty good and she understood what I meant by saying my Reddot sights look like a cluster of grapes and got me contacts that are comfy enough to wear that crisp up my dots! Also they seem to always have a bogo going on

for plain 'readers, amazon has plenty. usually better quality than readers.com. if you have the time, call around to find an optometrist who shoots, or at least has some experience with shooters' needs. i can give you some specific design suggestions in a pm if you like(as retired OD).

My wife and I just went through this...

We had PLANNED to use Costco and get an out of pocket reimbursement from our vision insurance... but like you, we realized quick, Costco's selection SUCKED, and they had 1 person working and like 8-10 people waiting for help... We left.

We went to Target. WAY better selection. WAY better workers. Prices were "comparable" I guess(I never knew the lense prices at Costco, just the frames, since we couldnt get help). Our insurance was taken there and I didnt pay for the frame(which would have been basically same as Costco as our insurance would cut us a check up to $100).

As far as frames... good luck on "made in America"... I doubt it exists... although Oakley(luxotica) is bringing some production back to the USA as I bought a pair of USA made sunglasses last year(they are in a special locked case at the Oakley store LOL)...

Reactions: kthomas

Not a lot of choices, but the are American made, and sold to the public.
I buy frames from them, the take them to a local place for the lens.

My dad started using Zenni a few years ago. He is constantly sitting on frames etc busting them and at $400 a pop for Rx setups it became clear cheap was the way to go. He's only busted 2 pairs of the Zenni frames and to his door with Rx lenses way under $100.

I used "Eyemart Express" for quite a few years, but, my last prescription, I felt they short changed me (three return visits), so, I used a small, local, business and felt that the service and time spent doing it right, was worth the upcharge. Mac

I too have used Zenni Optical (online) and this started back in '17. The first pair of glasses that I received, the lenses weren't ground properly (peripheral) so they were actually 'loose' in the frames. I phoned in about it, and emailed them a few photo's with pieces of paper stuck through the gap in a few places, and they sent me another pair right then-and-there. Received the second pair in just a few days.

So yeah, there was a quality-control issue there, right from the start. BUT, the glasses have worked for me ever since, with no complaints at all. "auto-darkening" when I go outside, as well as the "line-less bifocals" (whatever that's called) for old eyes that don't shift gears as well as they used to.

In truth, the frames have lasted me the best of any frame I've had, as there's no corrosion or weakness anywhere. I've had to have a LOT of other frames repaired due to one issue or another in the over 40 years I've been wearing glasses, all-day, every day.

So yeah, I have to state for the record that these Zenni's are leaps and bounds better than "walk-in-glass-shop-eyebologist-wares".... even considering the first hiccup.

One day when I'm rich and famous, I'll get my eyes lasered so that I can see properly, and through-walls, and night-vision, and with a MIL reticle for ranging.

I was thinking Warby Parker, I like that they will send frames to your door to try on.

The glasses I need will be a pretty heavy prescription, more then just an off the counter reading glasses. I normally wear contacts, so the glasses will be mostly for night time use when my contacts are out.

It's a shame that everything is mostly offshored for glasses. Luxxotica owns most everything, I was really bummed out when I heared they bought out my beloved sunglasses brand, Costa's.