• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where do you look for a "lightweight" rig? Sub 10#?

teddy12b

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2008
I'm still preparing for 2020 Mammoth and so far, I've dropped 15# and competed in my first prs style rifle match which was the Guardian in Mi. I'm happy with all my gear I currently have, but as a guy who's also gone on several backpacking trips I understand the importance of weight when going out for a lot of miles.

So, my current rifle with scope that I will use for mammoth is right about 17#. It's an awesome rifle and I really like it, but my goal for mammoth is to be at or under 40# total with food, water, everything. The biggest part of where I'm at now is the current rifle/scope combo and that was my first complete custom rig and it got me thinking about how light can a precision rifle get and still be able to run a stage without just wasting ammo.

Surely I'm not the first guy to think about this so where should I be looking?

Just for fun, here is the new Magnesium Element 3.0 chassis with the aluminum buttstock ($745) with a factory Steel Remington 700 in 308, muzzle brake, scope rings, Vortex 4-16 PST, and AICS 10 round magazine under 10 lbs. Granted, this is only a 16.5" bull barrel but that is still quite decent considering its all-steel and the rings, and scope are not the lightest.
IMG_3521.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: trob_205 and FN47
A precision rifle with scope under 6# is amazing. That's exactly what I'm talking about. The mammoth challenge is one thing, but I doubt I'll want a heavier rifle on hunting trips the older I get.

A 18-20” 6.5cm/260 CF proof barreled action in something like a KRG Bravo or that new XLR too with a MK5 3-18 or a new NX8 2.5-20 would be a killer setup and probably right around that 10 lbs mark I would think.

There will be a few guys at Vortex Challenge testing our new Magnesium chassis. I know one rifle complete with an optic that should be just over 5 lbs! (I have yet to see it lol)

I'm going to the Vortex event as well. I'm carrying my Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5CM with a Vortex AMG on it. Weighs just under 9lbs. In preparing for the event shooting at different distances , I find it very difficult to get back on target to see impacts. Not a big deal for the Extreme as its a 2-man team (partner spotting) but it might be a problem if the rules in Mammoth only allow for single competitors (haven't looked at the rules).

If I decide to do some more of these events, I may start using my Q fix rifle or build a 700 in 6mm creedmoor out of one of the Side Chick chassis.

Titanium, magnesium, carbon.

The scope is the hard part. Either go hunting style like a vx-6 with a cds dial, or suck up the weight.

Large tubes, robust construction, large turrets, large erector ratio.... It all costs weight.

If your budget allows it, proof research does full rigs that are pretty light.

And if you have an unlimited budget, call gunwerks. I’m sure they can put together a stupid lightweight rifle.

Cutting weight costs money,no two ways about it.
But eventually you’ll have to decide like I did if a few ounces are worth the extra cost for one of my match rifles.
I initially toyed with the idea of a titanium action or skelotonising the bolt handle & fluting the bolt.
The juice wasn’t worth the squeeze so I stayed with a 700 action.
Again with the barrel,the weight savings on a 18” vs a 24” carbon fibre wrapped barrel were minimal compared with muzzle velocity gained.
On the stock side I used a KRG Bravo.
Optics package include a Leupold backcountry rail,Spuhr Mount (yes I know,but they’re good & not really that heavy) & a Leupold Mk5.
Came in less than 10 lbs.
Your mileage may vary,but I have found this combination for me to be a reasonable balance between weight savings vs the cost & ultimately a very capable rifle.