• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Where do you start when buying a suppressor?

Venomgland

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2019
I know you need a stamp. Do you get that first then go buy the suppressor, or do you have to pick out the suppressor first then buy the stamp for that one?

The quick and dirty:

First you need to decide if your going to buy it in your name or if you will buy it under the name of a trust.

Once you decide that, you go to your dealer of choice and buy the can. If the can is in stock, you can submit the packet right away to the ATF including payment for your stamp.

If it's not in stock, you must wait for the dealer to transfer the can from the mfg if they have one available.

Once the dealer gets the can then you can submit your packet.

Enjoy your long wait with everyone else and buy more hosts in the meantime.

Trust just means that I can pass it off to someone else when I die?

Trust just means that I can pass it off to someone else when I die?

Without said individual or entity paying another $200 to the .gov...yes. downside to individual is if you ever decide later to transfer to a trust or another individual, you pay $200 for each stamp you want to transfer as well as get to enjoy the wait for new stamps to come in.

I should have also said you need to get two fingerprint cards and passport style photos taken for you and for each responsible person if you go trust as well to be submitted with the packet. Yours are obviously required either way you go

If they want them. They can give me the 200 before I die. So up front I'll save the 200 bucks.

Now how do I pick one out? You have to go off reviews and youtube only, or hopefully somone at the range has one?

If it is inherited from death your family does not need to pay again. They can do a Form 5 (i believe that is the number) and take ownership. A trust does make that a non-issue though. Also a trust does not have to include just family. I believe Form 5 is just for family.

If they want them. They can give me the 200 before I die. So up front I'll save the 200 bucks.

Now how do I pick one out? You have to go off reviews and youtube only, or hopefully somone at the range has one?
Depends on what you are looking to do with it.

Also you should know, they are like Lays potato chips. You can't have just one.

Reactions: Dan M
Just shoot iron plates and paper down range. Maybe hunt hogs one day.
TBAC Ultra 7 in 30 cal covers all bases

you need to do a lot of research first. you're paying $200 whether it's individual or trust. the trust has more benefits though, especially a 1 shot type

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
you need to do a lot of research first. you're paying $200 whether it's individual or trust. the trust has more benefits though, especially a 1 shot type

Don’t want to hijack OP’s thread, but could you elaborate on this? What is better about the one shot trusts?

So with TBAC’s backlog, you have to wait for them to produce the can before you start paperwork? Or they give u a future S/N
You've got to wait if you order directly from them, best bet is to find one in stock from another dealer and have it shipped

Silencer Shop is pretty cool, see if you can find a dealer near you that has a Silencer Shop Kiosk.

Silencer Shop is pretty cool, see if you can find a dealer near you that has a Silencer Shop Kiosk.

Meh...I dunno. I feel like most my local dealers blow silencershops prices out of the water. I know a few guys screwed over by them in the big 41F surge too. Silencershop sat on their forms for like 3 weeks or more before sending if I remember correctly. I personally have no dog in that fight and appreciate what silencershop is trying to do for the market but I would still shop for the best price. I would stay away from any small dealer who may not be in business in 12 months too.

Reactions: rwest309
Meh...I dunno. I feel like most my local dealers blow silencershops prices out of the water. I know a few guys screwed over by them in the big 41F surge too. Silencershop sat on their forms for like 3 weeks or more before sending if I remember correctly. I personally have no dog in that fight and appreciate what silencershop is trying to do for the market but I would still shop for the best price. I would stay away from any small dealer who may not be in business in 12 months too.

You don’t have to purchase suppressors through SilencerShop to use the kiosk for the transfer. I’ve bought suppressors from my dealer and did the transfer through his kiosk.

I haven’t had any issues with the kiosk. It has made purchasing them so easy, I just attach my electronic signature and they do the rest. Fingerprints and photos are only done once to setup the account.

Many choices out there for a suppressor. Just do some reading and find out what appeals to you the most.

You don’t have to purchase suppressors through SilencerShop to use the kiosk for the transfer. I’ve bought suppressors from my dealer and did the transfer through his kiosk.

I haven’t had any issues with the kiosk. It has made purchasing them so easy, I just attach my electronic signature and they do the rest. Fingerprints and photos are only done once to setup the account.

Many choices out there for a suppressor. Just do some reading and find out what appeals to you the most.

I 100% understand that but the sales price is silencershop set which for most cans is easily 15% more expensive than my local dealer in house prices

I 100% understand that but the sales price is silencershop set which for most cans is easily 15% more expensive than my local dealer in house prices

Maybe I didn’t clarify. The suppressor he sold me was not originally from SilencerShop and they did not control the pricing for it. We just simply used the kiosk to handle the transfer. The dealers pay to rent the machine and the dealer charges you for the service.

Maybe I didn’t clarify. The suppressor he sold me was not originally from SilencerShop and they did not control the pricing for it. We just simply used the kiosk to handle the transfer. The dealers pay to rent the machine and the dealer charges you for the service.

Lol yes your not understanding... That rent for the kiosk machine...it's baked into your supressor price as a consumer meaning that it will be more expensive than a non kiosk dealer ?. I'm not docking it. If the price is right, go for it just throwing that out there it's not the end all be all to suppressor purchasing

Lol yes your not understanding... That rent for the kiosl machine...it's baked into your supressor price as a consumer meaning that it will be more expensive than a non kiosk dealer ?. I'm not docking it. If the price is right, go for it just throwing that out there it's not the end all be all to suppressor purchasing

Now that makes more sense where you’re coming from lol. My bad.

In my case, if I buy from another dealer my local shop charges me $80 for handling the transfer as well as a $25 fee to use the kiosk. That means for me to come out ahead I’ve got to beat the Silencer Shop price by more than $105.

If Silencer Shop has it in stock it does not make sense to me to wait to order from the local shop as the most they will discount is 10%. It all comes down to each buyers individual situation. One size does not fit all.

In my case, if I buy from another dealer my local shop charges me $80 for handling the transfer as well as a $25 fee to use the kiosk. That means for me to come out ahead I’ve got to beat the Silencer Shop price by more than $105.

If Silencer Shop has it in stock it does not make sense to me to wait to order from the local shop as the most they will discount is 10%. It all comes down to each buyers individual situation. One size does not fit all.

Jeez! That’s crazy. That wouldn’t be worth it to me either.

If you'll notice when you use SS, and your browsing cans, and certain dealers (within the SS website) the price often times won't be the same. That's because the individual dealers are setting the price you see. Now I don't know if SS has a minimum, or maximum that the dealer can charge.

When I bought my suppressor, I watched a lot of youtube videos and read reviews as you mentioned above. Silencer Shop has videos on some of their suppressors on their site. Same as Capitol Armory. You have to decide whether you want the lightest, shortest or the quietest. For me, I wanted something short so it wouldn't be too cumbersome hauling it through some thick woods attached to a gun. And quiet. Most suppressor, longer is quieter. I ended up getting the Dead Air Sandman S at Capitol Armory and love it. A buddy of mine ended up getting the Sandman L after playing with mine. Capitol Armory price was cheaper than SS, but I didn't take advantage of the cheaper price. I did the easy payment option which tacks on a % fee of the purchase price of the suppressor. So price ended up about the same. Its easier to sneak multiple smaller payments from my joint account than one large payment. I just got approved for my 2nd suppressor from Capitol Armory, after a 11 month wait, and in the process of them mailing it to me. I didn't have to pay anything extra for them to mail it to me. It just add on another 3 weeks to the wait. I drove 3.5 hrs from Frisco, TX to Austin to pick up the Sandman cause it was my first. My 2nd, I can wait. LOL

Its like planting trees. Best time to order a suppressor was 20 years ago or today. Good luck.

Lol yes your not understanding... That rent for the kiosk machine...it's baked into your supressor price as a consumer meaning that it will be more expensive than a non kiosk dealer ?. I'm not docking it. If the price is right, go for it just throwing that out there it's not the end all be all to suppressor purchasing

I've bought cans from gunbroker, local dealer used SS kiosk for transfer to me. Just pay the gunbroker seller the price of can, then buy stamp at local shop, they do transfer through SS, then I pay a $30 transfer fee once stamp comes in (which is just their standard transfer fee for anything). My local store is very high in price, anywhere online is cheaper than their in store prices.

+1 for silencer shop. They do a great job of making the whole process as simple as it can be. Even better is if you have one of their kiosks near you. First things first, find what you want to buy and then figure out what you need to do to buy it. Find an FFL that deals with that stuff around you. They’ll most likely be happy to help.