• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where is the best place to buy a custom action?

longrangekills

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2012
PA
I am in the purchasing phase of building a custom rifle. I was going to buy one complete but cannot find the package that I want. So I am going to start with the action. I have looked at many and feel that the Surgeon 591 or the Stiller Tac 30 will best suit my 6.5 build. Also the Stiller predator might be an option. Any ideas where to get the best "bang for my buck" in buying either of these receivers? I have seen the Surgeons for sell at Brownells for around 1400.00, that seems high but I cannot confirm that. I have had no luck finding Stiller actions. Please help I really want to get this built.
Thanks To all.

Re: Where is the best place to buy a custom action?

Consider the Aplha II action by Mark Gordon at SAC.

Thank you for the quick responses. I will be looking into all of the suggestions.

Thanks again

http://www.bugholes.com/actions.php

Bugholes has the Stiller actions. He is a member here. He may have them listed in the commercial section as well.

While I have not purchased a action from him, he did rebarrel a 700 for me last year and I could not be more pleased with the end product and service. Really good and prompt communication too.

I bought a muzzle break from APA and the lady on the phone asked me if I had other questions. I told her I did but I would wait to ask them til I knew more about what I wanted. Jered, the owner, called me later that night and after about an hour and a half conversation and him answering every question I ever had , I ended up buying not only an action but the complete rifle EXACTLY the way I had pictured it.

GREAT guy and extremely nice people to deal with. Call him and just ask him about his actions.

http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/

1400 for a surgeon may seem high but you get what you pay for and surgeon is top notch!

Once again thanks to all for the help. I purchased the Surgeon 591R and it should be here very soon. Now I am working on the Sentinel combat stock and trying to figure out which trigger to use. Maybe I should start a thread on triggers and see what everyone thinks on that topic?

Great forum, Great members

Thanks