• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where is the best place to buy a POF

millertime2

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Illinois, USA
I think I am going to pull the trigger on one, just wondering where is a good place to purchase and how long will I have to wait? Wanting one in 308

Re: Where is the best place to buy a POF

You can try Frankie Ice, he is a vendor here and that's who I got mine through. He had a group buy thread going on here a while back but has sold all of those rifles. Send him a private message or an email.

Here is a link to his profile

FRANKIE ICE's PROFILE PAGE

He's a good guy and real easy to work with.

For a little more money if not the same you can have a GAP 10. There is plenty of info on both here at the hide.

The Gap looks like a great gun but isn't it pretty much a POF? And I know they are surely busy I tried to call them three times to ask about the GAP and no answer. (no i did not leave a message). So I am on the fence between the two. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, KM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can try Frankie Ice, he is a vendor here and that's who I got mine through. He had a group buy thread going on here a while back but has sold all of those rifles. Send him a private message or an email.

Here is a link to his profile

FRANKIE ICE's PROFILE PAGE

He's a good guy and real easy to work with. </div></div>

IIRC, he had a couple left and moved them to a straight up for sale thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: millertime2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Gap looks like a great gun but isn't it pretty much a POF? And I know they are surely busy I tried to call them three times to ask about the GAP and no answer. (no i did not leave a message). So I am on the fence between the two. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, KM</div></div>

If they're the same price I'd go with the GAP built one. The reason that they're not picking up might be because they're at SHOT. Saw George and gang there yesterday. Very popular booth!

Rainier Arms has them. Awesome CS with rainier as well!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: millertime2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Gap looks like a great gun but isn't it pretty much a POF? And I know they are surely busy I tried to call them three times to ask about the GAP and no answer. (no i did not leave a message). So I am on the fence between the two. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, KM</div></div>

No, it is not the same rifle. The POF is a regulated short stroke gas piston operated rifle and the GAP is a direct impingement operated rifle.

Something to think about when deciding whether to purchase piston or impingement is the standardization and availability of parts.

The gas piston setup of the POF is proprietary which means, you can't just pick up spare internal parts (bolt carrier group, piston rod, etc) from a gun show as only POF makes them.

The GAP, however, being that it's impingement means that you can pick up spare parts just about anywhere for it.

In terms of accuracy, the impingement setup is slightly more accurate than the gas piston and when I say slightly, I'm talking within 1/4 MOA or less. The gas piston setup will also weigh a little more, if even only a single pound.

The gas piston will run cooler as it vents the gas outside of the chamber, using the piston rod to cycle the bolt whereas the impingement uses the spent gas from the cartridge to open the bolt which heats up the chamber. How many rounds it takes to overheat one, I couldn't tell you but I'm sure it's pretty high considering the impingement platform is what our military is issued.

The gas piston will be easier to clean and will run cleaner than the impingement platform, taking less time and effort to clean the rifle and this is especially so when using a suppressor. That being said, with a gas piston platform you will experience blow back (gas venting through the upper assembly) which can be quite uncomfortable from what I've read, although there has been innovations like the PRI Gasbuster charging handle which reduces most of the blow back. With a direct impingement, you don't get the blow back effect.

Anyway, maybe some of that will help you decide which platform to go with.

Hey thanks for the info I think either one would be great maybe it will come to flipping a coin, just trying to convince myself I need to shell out the cash since I already have a 308 bolt gun and an R-25 in .243

I just went through this same situation. I originally wanted the POF, but could not find one. I called POF and they said there would be at least a 3 month wait. So I ordered a GAP10 in 6.5 CM in late December and it will be here next week. I like the piston system and will eventually order a .308 upper from POF and swap them out.

A couple things of things to think about. POF has added an additional feature to their gas system. It now has a suppressed setting, a normal setting, and a closed setting where it will act like a bolt gun.

I here GAP has added an adjustable gas block option to the GAP10 for those that wanted it. Maybe someone that went to shot show can chime in on this.

What part of Illinois are you located in? I was in a gunshop in the Chicago burbs today and they had a couple of the POF guns in there.

Down by Springfield. We're lucky we can even buy a firearm in this communist state!!! Maybe I will wait till next week and the guys from gap will be back and I'll try to get ahold of them