• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where on Earth...

ZenBiker990

Control/Alt/Delete
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2011
United States
...would anyone move to with the best chance of finding a community of decent, honest, Freedom loving people? Let's toss in the need to be near a good health center and (the really tough one) an area that doesn't see a lot of wild swings in weather patterns that aggravate a condition that makes close proximity to a good health center necessary?

Depends on that health condition. If it's respiratory then it's Arizona.
If it's something else, then near the triangle area of North Carolina would be close to Duke and UNC, both of which have excellent medical centers.
You do get four seasons there, but none are very extreme.

I'm just a couple of hours South of you (if my IP foo is working), and in rural farming areas, but I can be at MCV in an hour or Duke in 2.

Last edited:
Youre in it, bubba. Of course sometimes we dont see the forest for the trees.

CA has the best weather in the entire country and we got really good medical centers around here.

One of the requirements was "Freedom loving people" that excludes California because the politicians are anything but freedom loving.

...would anyone move to with the best chance of finding a community of decent, honest, Freedom loving people? Let's toss in the need to be near a good health center and (the really tough one) an area that doesn't see a lot of wild swings in weather patterns that aggravate a condition that makes close proximity to a good health center necessary?

If you are an AZ resident there has NEVER been a permit required to open carry and it isn't out of the ordinary to see OC on a daily basis in Phoenix. The weather is hot but dry and if you pick a town north towards Flagstaff the weather gets milder the higher you go in elevation and you are still less than an hour from several major medical facilities. Maser is right on about the weather and medical facilities in SoCal but the DPRCA is about as 2a hostile as they come.

I would say that Indiana or western Kentucky might be a "freedom living area" and we've got decent health care facilities with Indiana University building a new facility in Evansville now... BUT the wild weather swings might knock the area out. High humidity in the summer, I've seen 20-30 degree temps change in a day, and tornados in the spring and fall. And winters can be cold be generally snows of 4-6 or more are not normal. Not sure what the condition you're needing to avoid is but it's a decent area.

Youre in it, bubba. Of course sometimes we dont see the forest for the trees.

I'm assuming he's disheartened by the recent SJW/PC bullshit that has them taking down the monuments to the great men who fought for freedom.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them doing away with TJ's legacy in another year or so. After all, slaves built most of what he had.

I'm assuming he's disheartened by the recent SJW/PC bullshit that has them taking down the monuments to the great men who fought for freedom.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them doing away with TJ's legacy in another year or so. After all, slaves built most of what he had.

Youre correct on that but I was speaking of the general area around us, which thankfully, still has some common sense. Ive given up on the morons who run the Ville. im half expecting a petition to remove the name "Lee" from Washington and Lee. Fuxkin morons...

Central Texas is great, rarely run across a commie....i mean liberal.... and the ones yippy do see are pretty quiet about it, they know they are outnumbered. Depending upon where you go in the area, medical facilities are available, I have two major veterans hospitals within 30 minutes of my house, plus a civilian level one trauma center and a children's hospital within 20 minutes. If I want to go elsewhere, there are probably 10-15 hospitals within 45 minutes to an hour. As far as seasonal climate changes, we have 4 seasons, Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer and Christmas, which is often still summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

On second thought Ill make a dedicated post.....

Laramie, WY.

Gun club has a range out to 1160 yards and a precision shooting club sponsored by the university.

Excellent medical facilities.

Yes, there's wind and it gets cold in the winter. This tends to keep the fruit loops out of the state. Remember that both Magpul and Hi-Viz moved from Colorado to Wyoming.

Richard

NOT Colorado. Way too many new people than the existing infrastructure can handle and most of them are libtard Assholes who have destroyed what they moved here for, such as open spaces and the solitude of the mountains.

^^^^^
What he said. We moved to Wyoming from what is becoming the People's Republic of Colorado. There are a lot of good people, but the politics are governed by the very liberal Denver-Boulder corridor.

Richard

Youre correct on that but I was speaking of the general area around us, which thankfully, still has some common sense. Ive given up on the morons who run the Ville. im half expecting a petition to remove the name "Lee" from Washington and Lee. Fuxkin morons...

I think they tried to do that back in the 80s or 90s.

Not in (Illinois) Chicagostan.
We get 110 to -30.
We do have solid medical local (Springfield)
Politics are almost as fucked up as Kalifornification.

Sirhr, I like your choice.
I've been through the museum a couple of times.
I recently stayed a bit in Boise, I could live there. Bow and fly rod heaven.

R

Texas is over rated on the freedom index, its middle of the pack at best and dropping fast. Florida, Tenn, Cody WY and believe it or not Indiana. I am thinking Indiana and Wyoming lately.

Damn strait! Moved to texas 3 years ago. What I don't pay in state tax I pay in property tax, tolls and fees! My utility bills should be damn near free since this is the home of oil and wind power but no. Water bill is crazy.
And it's the biggest state in the continental US and there is very little free to use public land.

In texas we complain about government having to much power so we give it to companies. For the average person it means they are in the same spot with fewer mechanisms to fight especial since the government protects the business not the people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Damn strait! Moved to texas 3 years ago. What I don't pay in state tax I pay in property tax, tolls and fees! My utility bills should be damn near free since this is the home of oil and wind power but no. Water bill is crazy.
And it's the biggest state in the continental US and there is very little free to use public land.

In texas we complain about government having to much power so we give it to companies. For the average person it means they are in the same spot with fewer mechanisms to fight especial since the government protects the business not the people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And Uncle Donnie appointed former Governor Perry as "Secretary of Energy". The same Ricky who wanted to give his friends contracts to build 15 coal fired power plants. Jesus H. Christ.

Last edited:
I may end up in WY someday. I aint skeered of cold, wind, and the way of life seems pretty good to me. Just hafta see what the future holds!

Greg seems to like AZ pretty well and there are solid medical facilities there. An old shooting buddy of mine got the hell out of here and moved to his second home in AZ. He was retired and is loving living in an uncrowded area full of conservatives.

The health issues in question are primarily aggravated by large, rapid swings in barometric pressure. I have it down to a science. Recently had a surgical procedure to deal with that, it's showing promise. Then there's the arthritis in my back, so warmer is better, but I have heated clothing for the winters. Wherever I end ip has to be a place that speaks to my soul.
WY, AZ are high on my list. Laramie was mentioned; there is also a top flight neurosurgeon in Flagstaff. Just don't know if I can convince my wife. Maggot is right, Virginia is a great place to live, but in the shitstorm I see coming, Charlottesville is not where I want to be. This is ggod stuff, guys.

Wherever you're looking at, spend a little time in the country stores that serve food. You'll learn a lot about the area by listening to what's discussed there.

Cochise County, AZ. I had a heart attack this past Saturday, ended up in the SAVAHCS (Southern Arizona VA Health Care System) Tucson VA med center via the Pearce/Sunsites Fire Department and the Wilcox municipal Hospital, and I got home Tuesday. Absolute personal terror, masterfully managed.

The neighbor folk (all kinda snowflakes) were by to root for me and my ticker yesterday afternoon. I don't push the guns in their faces, and they don't try to push Sanders at me, either. We have our agreement about that schtuff.

SAVAHCS is a huge, modern VA medical campus with top notch facilities and skills. You won't fall through the cracks here. Phoenix VA, not so much, and the city is Liberal, they all are. Flagstaff is quaint, and virulently Liberal. Tucson, same. Here in tiny Sunsites, perched on the Western edge of the Wilcox Dry Lake and Bombing Range, we got all kinds, but we make it work, and Conservative is the flavor of the epoch. Everybody packs heat, except sometimes, me. Still getting used to the place, won't be long before I'm settled in with my EDC...

I shoot 100yd five minutes from my house at a public site. I have to bring my own folding bench and some target frames. We made an overnight to Phoenix in early Feb and my Granddaughter and I competed in the Berger SW LR Nationals. It just doesn't get any better than that. Permitless carry, no registration, face to face transfer. etc., etc., etc.

Can see the weather coming 60 miles away, live at 4800 ft ASL in a high desert valley, am surrounded by 7000-8000ft "Sky Islands" mountain ranges, and am embedded in the midst of Southwestern history. Cochise's Stronghold is looming over my shoulder, Tombstone is a local outing. The Chiracahua National Monument is just across the valley. Douglas is 50 miles South with a retired 300 meter National Guard Range converted to the municipal shooting park, and Mexico is a literal spitting distance further South. The CBP and ICE train/shoot on their own range 50yd North, right alongside our public range. Sierra Vista (and Fort Huachuca) is an hour and a half West and South, and has a VA satellite Clinic where I get my primary. Malls and Movies, Box stores and lots of gun shops, etc. Get used to 100 mile each way days trips, it is the norm here in Southern Arizona. Meticulous and religious car maintenance is a way of life here.

I walk to the local VFW, where I am the new Service Officer. We got bikers there, and we mix.

Heck, I even found religion again.I go to church in jeans, cowboy boots, and a straw Stetson-like hat (Justin). The place changes you before your very eyes. And it's for the better. I'll probably live an extra ten years here. Good grief, just listen to me. Heart attack Saturday, and already I'm taking about living an extra ten years. Something about this place...

I just never knew it existed, and I wasted the last 20 years in Upstate NY. Sorta like the song says, Please come to Cochise in the Spring....

Just drop what you're doing. Run, don't walk. No place is perfect, but I wouldn't even leave here at gunpoint. Besides, I can even shoot back if I really need to.

We have our Libbies; we just smile and nod.

Greg

Last edited:
^^^^^
What he said. Get well and live an extra 10 years.

BTW, my favorite cousin (RIP) lived in Flagstaff and there's no way he could have been called a liberal. Of course, no liberal would have been stupid enough to mess with him.

Richard

Cochise County, AZ. I had a heart attack this past Saturday, ended up in the SAVAHCS (Southern Arizona VA Health Care System) Tucson VA med center via the Pearce/Sunsites Fire Department and the Wilcox municipal Hospital, and I got home Tuesday. Absolute personal terror, masterfully managed.

The neighbor folk (all kinda snowflakes) were by to root for me and my ticker yesterday afternoon. I don't push the guns in their faces, and they don't try to push Sanders at me, either. We have our agreement about that schtuff.

SAVAHCS is a huge, modern VA medical campus with top notch facilities and skills. You won't fall through the cracks here. Phoenix VA, not so much, and the city is Liberal, they all are. Flagstaff is quaint, and virulently Liberal. Tucson, same. Here in tiny Sunsites, perched on the Western edge of the Wilcox Dry Lake and Bombing Range, we got all kinds, but we make it work, and Conservative is the flavor of the epoch. Everybody packs heat, except sometimes, me. Still getting used to the place, won't be long before I'm settled in with my EDC...

I shoot 100yd five minutes from my house at a public site. I have to bring my own folding bench and some target frames. We made an overnight to Phoenix in early Feb and my Granddaughter and I competed in the Berger SW LR Nationals. It just doesn't get any better than that. Permitless carry, no registration, face to face transfer. etc., etc., etc.

Can see the weather coming 60 miles away, live at 4800 ft ASL in a high desert valley, am surrounded by 7000-8000ft "Sky Islands" mountain ranges, and am embedded in the midst of Southwestern history. Cochise's Stronghold is looming over my shoulder, Tombstone is a local outing. The Chiracahua National Monument is just across the valley. Douglas is 50 miles South with a retired 300 meter National Guard Range converted to the municipal shooting park, and Mexico is a literal spitting distance further South. The CBP and ICE train/shoot on their own range 50yd North, right alongside our public range. Sierra Vista (and Fort Huachuca) is an hour and a half West and South, and has a VA satellite Clinic where I get my primary. Malls and Movies, Box stores and lots of gun shops, etc. Get used to 100 mile each way days trips, it is the norm here in Southern Arizona. Meticulous and religious car maintenance is a way of life here.

I walk to the local VFW, where I am the new Service Officer. We got bikers there, and we mix.

Heck, I even found religion again.I go to church in jeans, cowboy boots, and a straw Stetson-like hat (Justin). The place changes you before your very eyes. And it's for the better. I'll probably live an extra ten years here. Good grief, just listen to me. Heart attack Saturday, and already I'm taking about living an extra ten years. Something about this place...

I just never knew it existed, and I wasted the last 20 years in Upstate NY. Sorta like the song says, Please come to Cochise in the Spring....

Just drop what you're doing. Run, don't walk. No place is perfect, but I wouldn't even leave here at gunpoint. Besides, I can even shoot back if I really need to.

We have our Libbies; we just smile and nod.

Greg

This and SirH are winning so far...time for some Google Earth.

Sweet mother of mercy. This last series of storm fronts has seriously kicked my ass with the wide and fast swings in the barometer. I have an eye on the Phoenix weather page and am noticing the range of pressure changes is about a third of what we are here in VA and not as rapid. Thinking about spending a couple of weeks there to see if I feel any different in high desert. Maybe bring Greg some Lapua brass and a bag of quinoa...

How about Eastern Washington/North Idaho, there are two good medical centers in Spokane and a few good 1000+ yd. ranges in the area. The weather is great most of the time, we do have winter but usually fairly mild & not a lot of snow. I have lived in most all areas of the country South, East, Midwest Southwest & always end up back in the Northwest it is just great here. guess I might be a little biased being an Eastern Washington Native. Definitely would stay away from the west coast Seattle area just too crazy liberal there for my liking. Property on the East side is still fairly reasonable, you can buy or rent a place you actually want to live in without having to rob a bank.

I hope you have ruled out Colorado. Way too many people, everywhere you look and 90%+ of these new "residents" are libtard assholes.
The "Front Range" is a traffic nightmare as is the I-70 corridor going west out of Denver.
I don't go there anymore unless it is absolutly necessary. It is FUBAR.
Come visit for a short period of time, then go back where you came from.

How about Eastern Washington/North Idaho, there are two good medical centers in Spokane and a few good 1000+ yd. ranges in the area. The weather is great most of the time, we do have winter but usually fairly mild & not a lot of snow. I have lived in most all areas of the country South, East, Midwest Southwest & always end up back in the Northwest it is just great here. guess I might be a little biased being an Eastern Washington Native. Definitely would stay away from the west coast Seattle area just too crazy liberal there for my liking. Property on the East side is still fairly reasonable, you can buy or rent a place you actually want to live in without having to rob a bank.

I hate you. And yes, it's raining.................................... :p

I hope you have ruled out Colorado. Way too many people, everywhere you look and 90%+ of these new "residents" are libtard assholes.
The "Front Range" is a traffic nightmare as is the I-70 corridor going west out of Denver.
I don't go there anymore unless it is absolutly necessary. It is FUBAR.
Come visit for a short period of time, then go back where you came from.
Yea, ruled out CO a long time back for reasons of liberality primarily. Weather is tough, too. Thinking of Wyoming; hard to believe it borders CO. Strongly believe they will enact "immigration"/residency laws based on personal views; machine gun nests & mine fields in I25, no Starbucks, ability to recite the Bill of Rights from memory. Just as tough a state weather wise in winter, but Freedom, living with (mostly) like-minded neighbors has a price, right?.

Last edited:
The one major thing I like about northern AZ is the lack of "bugs" around here! A thing I hate about Flagstaff is that our lake Mary is basically a mud hole, and so are our other local lakes, ugly water. Oak Creek canyon is pretty but crowded. Lake Powell is only a couple hours away though. I guess what I'm getting at is I long for blue water.

Springtime around here is windy! That kind of sucks.

There is an element of the CFL. "Commie - fa....- liberals" around here. Fortunately the shooting community is opposite for the most part. I try my best to stay away from opposing views which just ruins my day/s.

We have a shooting range for pistol or shotgun. I drive for 20 minutes for long range out in the FS.

Clean air and lot's of trees.

It's not cheap living here, though to bad for rural 40's.

I've driven from Phoenix with a t-shirt on in January for 2 hours to a snowstorm in Flagstaff. A few weeks ago it got down to freezing but up to about 75 degrees the same week.

As far as moving away I've liked the western Alpine Wyoming region and eastern Idaho area. That's where I've been vacationing. It's green with plenty of pretty water.

I'd rather be cold than hot! If it's cold out you can put more layers on, if it's hot out there's nothing to be done but get to air conditioning.

The one major thing I like about northern AZ is the lack of "bugs" around here! A thing I hate about Flagstaff is that our lake Mary is basically a mud hole, and so are our other local lakes, ugly water. Oak Creek canyon is pretty but crowded. Lake Powell is only a couple hours away though. I guess what I'm getting at is I long for blue water.

Springtime around here is windy! That kind of sucks.

There is an element of the CFL. "Commie - fa....- liberals" around here. Fortunately the shooting community is opposite for the most part. I try my best to stay away from opposing views which just ruins my day/s.

We have a shooting range for pistol or shotgun. I drive for 20 minutes for long range out in the FS.

Clean air and lot's of trees.

It's not cheap living here, though to bad for rural 40's.

I've driven from Phoenix with a t-shirt on in January for 2 hours to a snowstorm in Flagstaff. A few weeks ago it got down to freezing but up to about 75 degrees the same week.

As far as moving away I've liked the western Alpine Wyoming region and eastern Idaho area. That's where I've been vacationing. It's green with plenty of pretty water.

I'd rather be cold than hot! If it's cold out you can put more layers on, if it's hot out there's nothing to be done but get to air conditioning.

LOL I feel exactly the opposite...I cant get on enough clothes to stay warm, but I agree, Flag is a nice town, the west end being downright purty. NASU seems like a good school, I was attracted to the nice swimming facility. And still only 5 hours from blue water, and Blue Water, the best little seafood store/restaurant in San Diego. Right around the corner from the Grand Canyon and all that,

I close on the purchase of my new house in N Phx/Anthem early July and will be 5 minutes from Ben Avery range and 10 minutes from BLM land with clear shots out past 2k yards.

LOL I feel exactly the opposite...I cant get on enough clothes to stay warm, but I agree, Flag is a nice town, the west end being downright purty. NASU seems like a good school, I was attracted to the nice swimming facility. And still only 5 hours from blue water, and Blue Water, the best little seafood store/restaurant in San Diego. Right around the corner from the Grand Canyon and all that,

I used to go deep sea fishing off San Diego back when I made decent money and a day's drive isn't too bad, of course it's actually two. I sure miss those days. Next time I get out that way I'll swing by the Blue Water, thanks for the tip.

I'm 7 minutes from the mall in a unique location backing the FS on 3 sides but my direct neighbor is a total asshole, wouldn't you know it??? just my luck. Turned their cabin into a vacation rental so now I get to hear people partying, dogs barking and all that comes with this situation, arrrggg.

My daughter and one son both like warm weather, weird kids, lol. They moved away.

Phoenix is far better for LR shooting than my own location in Cochise County because of the Ben Avery Range just outside Phoenix. For me, a trip to Ben Avery is either brief at the Northern end, or an overnight stay (225 miles, or a 3 1/4 hour drive).

Also, Arizona Shooters tend to get a lot of opportunity to exercise their wind call skills. We're expecting wind gusts to 40MPH today. If you can shoot long in Arizona, you can probably shoot long anywhere. Nothing to be disappointed about, just a better opportunity to overcome a valuable challenge.

They say that Dale Earnhardt, Sr. could see the air as it flowed. I suspect that as Arizona LR shooters develop their wind skills, something similar may be occurring. I'm glad I came to where that becomes a potential. A lifetime of possibilities unfolds before me.

Those of us who have adapted to live in Southern Arizona quickly get used to things being, pretty often, 70 or so miles out, one way. The scenery along the way more than makes up for the added distances. I live at 4800ft altitude, and that's the edge of the Sulfur Springs desert valley, with the Chiricahuas and the Dragoons (mountains, that is...) surrounding us, climbing another 2000-4000ft higher. The nest range West is the Huachucas, and it's probably even higher.

You need a car in Southern Arizona, and it needs to be kept in good driving condition.

Some of this may sound like a complaint, it's any thing but. Self sufficient folks thrive here, there's probably little else like this place in that particular regard..., maybe Alaska, I don't really know.

We have our Liberal transplants who just had to leave San Francisco, but now throw their weight into every dingbat measure trying to turn AZ in the same damned place. They lack traction. They also lack the capacity to light my fuse.They're just irrelevant here in the high desert.

When I put my foot down with the Imperial State and left, I knew there simply wasn't a better state than Arizona for gun owners, and that whatever I found there, it was gonna be better than anywhere else, period. The Libs require high population density to make a mark, and there just isn't much of that out here in the hustings. That's why it takes a 70 mile drive to get to a lot of the resources, and that's something I like just the way it is.

We have a pit five minutes out of town that is universally recognized as the place to do our informal recreational shooting. It's not much, but we can get 110yd in a straight line with s substantial berm behind the targets. Somehow, in the times 'when nobody's there', trash, etc. accumulates, but we shooters simply pick it up and dispose of it. It's a small place to pay to go shooting five minutes away.

Next town over, Dragoon, somebody has done some bulldozing and established a more formal range surrounded by berms on private property, and word is that they're looking for folks to come shoot for something like $70 a year. It has covered, wooden shooting benches, with a separate berm enclosure for handguns. Some way, I'm going to track this down and make it work for me and mine.

Fifty miles South is Douglas, where an Army Reserve base was decommissioned, and its 300 meter range complex has been reactivated as the Douglas Municipal Shooting Park. Try and find something like that in New York. One of the ranges is reserved for CBP, ICE, and DEA usage and they put it use day and night. Coming from NY, that while situation is a pretty refreshing concept.

Greg

Last edited:
Gonna try to be chill with this, wish me luck as the only luck I have had lately is not good.
Greg, You remind me of some neighbors I have. Not a few but a whole lot. New move ins.
They came from foreign lands like Cali or NY or New Joisey. First one family them more friends and relatives.
As soon as they got here, they liked the place and talked to relatives and friends and the next thing I know there were more houses full of them VS the people who have lived here all of their lives. They are everywhere and brought all of their bad habits with them and try to straiten we Naibobs out.ie; Vote Dem.
Then we got this cocksucker John Fucking Denver to yodel about Rocky Mountain Highs and shit like that. That brought a whole lot more of the fuckers streaming in
Now, today, we are over run with the wierdos and no place for we old folks to go and get away from it all. They are everywhere and 90% of them suck whereas there are 10% that are cool and keep their mouths shut What a shame 20 years has done to us.
I would like to see you in that 10%.
Take it for what it is worth, nothing. Rant over,
When you find a good fishin hole, keep it under your hat, otherwise, the next time you go there it is all fished out.
I think that less than 10% of Colorado residents were born here and those are very young. or Old.

Last edited:

I went to college in northern Idaho (many many moons ago) and my first wife came from Spokane, so I'm fairly familiar with the state and like much of it.

When my current wife and I were looking for places to live and escape Colorado, we considered Washington state, which has some beautiful areas. Unfortunately, you can't possess a machinegun in Washington. Plus, more and more of the politics is being run from Seattle where there are a few well-known, super wealthy liberals who work hard to pass anti-firearms legislation.

Wyoming suits us. And I'm only 2 miles from a 1000-yard range.

Cheers,
Richard

Wyoming is the promise land for days to come.

Made it 19 years in Colorado and wouldn't wish 'modern Colorado' upon anyone smart enough to be on this forum. It was mentioned already, but Denver and Boulder counties ruin it for the rest of the state politically, and the huge swing of "out of staters" has really stressed the Front Range beyond its limit. All aboard for California 2.0 when it comes to Colorado.

Cody,WY is a damn nice place to land. Billings is an hour and half if you need a more developed area for some reason. But there is a decent hospital in Cody as well, just gets a little touristy in the summer time. It's almost like how Colorado used to before the Libtards took over.

Any place where the libtard SJW assholes want to start a real shitstorm is the place I want to be.

What makes it "not cheap"? And is it "not bad" for rural 40's? If I have that concept right, it's a 40 acre Ranchette...looking at one for sale this morning..

In town the prices for homes can get pretty expensive, $250 to $350,000 for an average well kept place. Property taxes, car registration, fuel, etc, and we're not a farming community so even food isn't cheap. It all adds up, i've ran across many low middle income families that get stuck here renting with both parents working full time to pay the bills but not enough money to save or move away to a location that's less expensive to live.

Good luck to you on the place you are looking at.

I just looked upped some prices for the 40's around here, heck even they've gone up quite a bit!

If the aforementioned property doesn't work out I know a guy that has in the past considered selling his 80 acres.