• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Where to buy 6.5 grendel complete upper?

Whiskeywater1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2017
Texas
I'm in the market for a complete upper in 6.5 Grendel? It's function would be for hunting and target shooting, hopefully accurate to 5-600 yards. Anyone have a positive experience with a company that they would suggest?

Check out SOLGW, sons of liberty gun works, in San Antonio. Their Murphy rifle (and maybe others) come with a 6.5 grendel option.

Been to their shop a few times, they build good sticks. I'm going to do a 308 or 6.5 with them soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Precision Firearms out of West Virginia is probably the best 'high-end' maker. They have a variety of upper styles and they can use most any parts you want if you don't like their default options. They'd probably be the best option, if not the cheapest. They are also one of the few that offer high end 6.5 Grendel barrel options, like Krieger and Bartlein if you are interested in that. Be aware that they have long-ish lead times though.

Larue Tactical has an almost unbeatable upper kit deal that has a 6.5 grendel option. The kit is meant to be put together by the user, but there is an option to have them put it together for you and test fire it for a little more money. Their barrels are known to be very accurate and I'd be sorely tempted to go this direction if it is in your price range.

Alexander Arms invented 6.5 Grendel and their uppers are usually a good value too. They have some pretty economical options that are still known to be pretty accurate.

Precision Firearms out of West Virginia is probably the best 'high-end' maker. They have a variety of upper styles and they can use most any parts you want if you don't like their default options. They'd probably be the best option, if not the cheapest. They are also one of the few that offer high end 6.5 Grendel barrel options, like Krieger and Bartlein if you are interested in that. Be aware of long wait times.

This is complete horseshit!! Precision Firearms is one of the biggest rip-offs I've ever seen in my life. Everyone of his products and services he does is extremely overpriced and to boot he's an idiot to deal with, unless you're some noob and you have no idea what you're doing, so you're going to take everything he says to heart, but if you're somebody that knows what he's doing and you actually questioned him he folds like a house of cards and turns into a jerk and never calls you back...

OP..
If you want an absolute tack driver 6.5 Grendel then call up Lee Wells at accurate and reliable rifles.com he uses all the same Quality Parts Bartlein, Krieger, Lilja anything you want. And he's an absolute pleasure to work with, with great integrity.. his website is under construction now but you can get the phone number and call him. He'll be happy to take the time and answer any questions. You have for the top-of-the-line 6.5 Grendel upper from Lee, and you're looking at about $1,000. Lee Wells also does military and law enforcement discounts.

The LaRue Builders kit is an absolute awesome deal, but the performance and the fit are very poor I bought one last month and I've already sold it.. I had to put a lot of extra money and work into the upper just to make it shoot with the shit, it would make for a good Hog Gun from 100 to maybe 300 yards but after that I wouldn't count on it holding the accuracy that a build from Lee can do.

Last edited:
This is complete horseshit!! Precision Firearms is one of the biggest rip-offs I've ever seen in my life. Everyone of his products and services he does is extremely overpriced and to boot he's an idiot to deal with, unless you're some noob and you have no idea what you're doing, so you're going to take everything he says to heart, but if you're somebody that knows what he's doing and you actually questioned him he folds like a house of cards and turns into a jerk and never calls you back...

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them before, other than wait times to get stuff done. They seem to love him over at the 65grendel forum. I've never ordered an upper, but I've ordered ammo and everything went ok.

I've not dealt with him, but I've heard really good things about Lee Wells also.

I have the SAA upper. I have been very happy with it for $600. Came with an 18" Black Hole Weaponry barrel that shoots well. The only change I've made is adding an adjustable gas block because it was overgassed, which is common with factory uppers.
​​​​​​

Thank you very much for all of this input. It definitely looks like I have some more research to do before making a decision on this. If there's any other information or opinions out there on this I'd love to hear them!

I got a complete upper (radical firearms) from joeboboutfitters a while back and while it is a cheaper and not as well known company as others, I've had great results with mine. Consistently sub-moa with factory ammo and every now and then I'll get half-moa. Best 5 rd group so far was a sub quarter moa group. I've been very happy with this purchase and am considering buying one of their 24" uppers in addition to this 20" one I have now.... Check em out. Definitely not a JP or a LaRue, and it doesn't have a Bartlein or Krieger barrel, but this thing has surprised the hell out if me in the accuracy dept!

Attachments

• photo66242.jpg
    photo66242.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 52
  • photo66243.jpg
    photo66243.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 41
MSTN (member at SH) builds some really nice uppers and rifles, might be worth pinging him on cost, options for a 6.5 Grendel build.

OP..

The LaRue Builders kit is an absolute awesome deal, but the performance and the fit are very poor I bought one last month and I've already sold it.. I had to put a lot of extra money and work into the upper just to make it shoot with the shit, it would make for a good Hog Gun from 100 to maybe 300 yards but after that I wouldn't count on it holding the accuracy that a build from Lee can do.

This is complete horseshit:) Seriously though this was not my experience at all. I ordered the LaRue kit and the fit and function is outstanding and easily among the best I've experienced. The way the rail attaches to the upper receiver makes it feel like one solid piece. Upper to LaRue lower fit is as tight as a drum and with the UBR gen II installed it is incredibly balanced and feels stunningly solid, maneuverable and quiet with no rattles etc. function has been perfect though I'm in process of acquiring new glass so haven't yet wrung out accuracy.

There are lots of reviews of it if you search around so make sure you research other opinions before dismissing the insanely good deal it represents.

Jake, geez, a 1-300 yard hog gun?

MSTN ordered one as well and has a thread on it here: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/forum/...-grendel-rifle

Last edited: