• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to buy sand bags?

DerMeister

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2011
Michigan
I have looked at a few local places, and online at a few places, and haven't found what I am looking for.

I am looking for cotton or canvas bags to fill with sand for shooting off of. I am looking for 4 or 5 of them to take to the range. I have seen them at a public range before, and I knew some one that had them, but I have long since lost contact.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Re: Where to buy sand bags?

a hardware store or any area that has recently had major flooding.
The hardware store down the road from me has the woven plastic style in stock.
i just got a pair of winchester branded shooting bags from walmart for $21.

Brownells has them
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22434/psize=96/Product/CANVAS-SHOOTING-BAGS

p_084000235_1.jpg

For an economical utilitarian sand bag, cut the legs off some old pants or jeans. Turn them inside out & persuade the wife to sew up one end with several passes. next persuade her to sew the other end almost all the way, leaving enough room to to turn the bag right side out for use. Fill the bag & the machine stitch or hand stitch the remaining open area closed. If you want to get really fancy, cut one such that you can make a filler flap that tucks into a pocket made for it like the bought bags have.

Larry

Reactions: Rocky59

PS- Another option is to locate some zippered bank deposit bags. The typical size may or may not be suitable for your desired use. Fill with sand & zip it up. To prevent the zipper from opening, punch a very small hole in the bag & put a small plastic wire tie thru the hole in the zipper pull and the hole in the bag in the closed position and pull the wire tie TIGHT & cut off the tag end of the wire tie.

When using the bag, watch out for the zipper as it could scratch your stock or barrel. Ideally get the bags with nylon zippers.

Larry

Just drink more Crown, I use the large bags from Crown Royal. Two for one liquor and a sand bag.

Reactions: Rocky59

I have a good friend that owns a canvas shop. He has made me a dozen or so bags made of a very tight weave waterproof canvas. Depending how full you fill them, they vary in hardness and flexability. They are absolutley great. The best part is that they were free. Soooooo you might find a local shop that can sew you up some bags.

Here I am using them as elbow pads and a riser for the rear bag.
shootingtable1.jpg

I think the ones I got will work just fine. I probably wouldn't buy them again. They are a tad too big in my opinion, the quality isn't terrible, but isn't great.

I like the old pants method. I have an old pair of cargo khakis that are made of nice heavy material. Great idea on turning them inside out for the sewing.

I got mine from a barricade construction sign company. They gave me 10 brand new bags for free. I filled them myself for free with sand from the company sand pit...

Camera stores (like Adorama and B&H) sell sandbags for hold light stands down and stuff. High quality, relatively low price (if you get them unfilled and just go to Lowes for some paving sand), and because they're designed for draping over light stands they have two chambers that stand up and form a stable platform.

whats the best fill? Sand , Poly pellets, walnuts shells?

Sand has the highest density (stays put), but it can get wet. Put it in a ziplock inside the cloth outer cover.

-S

Reactions: HK-93

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spoogie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sand has the highest density (stays put), but it can get wet. Put it in a ziplock inside the cloth outer cover.

-S </div></div>

Good idea.
I have always used lead shot bags or cut off pants legs.
For a little lighter weight bag I used rice.

I'd never shot off of sandbags until my last trip to the range. In the past, I'd always just used my range bag as a rest and didn't realize how much more stable bags were until I tried a set of "Gorilla Bags" from Shooter's Ridge. I was so impressed, I bought a set of Mini Gorilla Bags at Cabela's on the way home to use for myself. Can't wait to see how they compare to the original.

opplanet-shooters-ridge-mini-gorilla-bag-40510-02.jpg

If you end up making a set, give 'em a strap while you're at it. Definitely a handy feature.....

You may check out triad tactical. They have some nice ones, probly not as cheap as doing it yourself though.

When I looked at the the nylon products on Sage Flat site, I see what looks like copies of the TAB Rear Bag, and the 8541 Ammo Burrito. Kind of disappointing.

The OP here was about sourcing materials to make your own bags.

a hardware store or any area that has recently had major flooding.
The hardware store down the road from me has the woven plastic style in stock.
i just got a pair of winchester branded shooting bags from walmart for $21.
Come down here to Louisiana. Couple times a year they hand those puppies out.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Trolling a little deep into the forums today?
Not really when it comes to Louisiana and last year (Laura hit my location still at a CAT 4) and then Delta, amongst the other storms this year. I live in the land of blue tarped roofs!

Home Depot had 'em, same ones we had in the army. Not the shitty burlap ones but the plastic coated fabric shit. Can probably get 'em on gov surplus too.

Come to think of it, I actually need some more myself, all mine are worn out.

Way shit has been going though it may be a good idea to just score a pallet and a few spools of C-wire to go along with it!

I bought the Walmart corn kernels and filled some of my largest socks. Zip tied them and they’re great.

I used to be able to talk the local bank out of coin bags, then put a sock with rice inside. Works great.

Find someone who reloads shotshells and ask them for some empty shot bags.

Probably the original poster found some... ten years ago.