• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

where to cut my Krieger??

Duffy1298

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
Jacksonville
Well I just sent my rifle to my smith to go from a factory Remington barrel, to a Krieger.

The rifle is a Rem 700 SA .308, the barrel is a Krieger #17 HV 1-10 twist. I plan on this rifle being sort of my workhorse. It'll be mostly shot at a ranges with some hunting and the possibly of a comp or two.

My question to you gents is: In your opinion, should I have him cut me a 24/26 inch barrel, or do what I cant seem to grow the nuts to do and hack it at 20. I obviously would love the lighter weight and portability of a 20 inches, but I'm scared to loose the velocity I may gain at a longer length. Gimme some inputs as to what you would do. If the 20 inch is not really a legitimate loss of accuracy/speed, then Ill go that rout.

Re: where to cut my Krieger??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22", best of both worlds. </div></div>

+1

I had Mark Gordon cut my factory Rem 700P barrel back to 20", when he threaded it for my suppressor. I made it to 1000 yards with the 20" barrel with no issues. If your primary focus will be hunting and some target shooting, 20 inches isn't a problem. I think Lowlight has a 18" .308 bolt gun that he took to 1000 yards.

i have virtually the same build going on, im gonna do 18 inches, its 1-10 fluted M24 contour. depends on what you want as the max realistic range, for me im good with 800 and below for this build

22-24" would be my choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have virtually the same build going on, im gonna do 18 inches, its 1-10 fluted M24 contour. depends on what you want as the max realistic range, for me im good with 800 and below for this build </div></div>

id love to be able to get hits at 1k. kind of something I'm going for here. i want the shortest rifle possible to reliably shoot at pretty long distance. my honest average range is 5-700 yds but i don't want to be limited to that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had Mark Gordon cut my factory Rem 700P barrel back to 20", when he threaded it for my suppressor. I made it to 1000 yards with the 20" barrel with no issues. If your primary focus will be hunting and some target shooting, 20 inches isn't a problem. I think Lowlight has a 18" .308 bolt gun that he took to 1000 yards.</div></div>

it'll be more like a target gun that i will often hunt with, sort of 50/50

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duffy1298</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had Mark Gordon cut my factory Rem 700P barrel back to 20", when he threaded it for my suppressor. I made it to 1000 yards with the 20" barrel with no issues. If your primary focus will be hunting and some target shooting, 20 inches isn't a problem. I think Lowlight has a 18" .308 bolt gun that he took to 1000 yards.</div></div>

it'll be more like a target gun that i will often hunt with, sort of 50/50 </div></div>
"Krieger #17 HV 1-10 twist" is a pretty stout chunk of tomato stake! It makes a Remington varmint contour look skinny. If you won't be carrying it too far, make it longer. better yet, if your going to tote it much, get a thinner profile barrel.

I am having mine cut by Randy R&D to 22"

i already have the barrel. its a beast but not ridiculous. perfect for me i don't mind a little bit of weight i won't be toting it around for extended periods of time or anything. I'm thinking 20-22 may be my magic number I'm looking for.if anyones got a 20-22 inch barrel lemme see it!

20" Bartlein MTU

IMG_4218.jpg

155 gr. Scenars - 3 shots at 100 yards - 2884 fps. Average velocity

IMG_4316.jpg

if it were me I would not go any longer than 20 inches MAX.

In a 308 I really dont see the point, and with that heavy of a barrel, I think you will be happy with a shorter stout barrel.

It would be perfect at 20 inches I think. Longer and you will have another $150 bill by getting it shortened down the road. Either way, I am sure it will be a tack driver!!!

SOLD...im ganna have him cut it off at 20. that rifle shes shooting is sick btw.

Just add 2" to the one She is shooting and be happy, it's not that much longer. If not then go 21" you don't have to have a even #. Just my .02

What is the muzzle diameter on that thing? probly something close to what my krieger will finish at

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duffy1298</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the muzzle diameter on that thing? probly something close to what my krieger will finish at
</div></div>

1.032" @ the muzzle

i did pretty much the same thing. took my M40 contour barrel 22" down to 20" but my plans for this rifle are all under 700 yards. i will take it out to the 1000 yard range one of these days, just to verify that it can still make it. it's now light enough up front that it's no longer such a bear to shoot from position with a sling in NRA high power (rule 3.3.2 to shoot with glass).

it's actually *more* accurate now than it was before.

Here is my new rifle I picked up from moore_man here. It has a Krieger tube cut to 22".

photo.jpg

Plan on taking it out today to get it zeroed.

very nice rifle. i think im ganna do for the 20 inch cut. but your 22 looks killer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Duffy, just dont read this as it may change your mind...
laugh.gif

optimal barrel length for accuracy (.308)

</div></div>

well dang. my only question is, if 21 3\4 is the perfect length, then y is everyone rocking 24-26 or 20 inch tubes? i would sure think that people would be all over it if it were true??

I say fluted the hell out of the HV barrel and cut it to 20". Now its stiff and lighter than before. 2" will only matter when you are trying to manuver it here and there.

24" is my vote. 4" of metal isn't going to kill you to lug around in the woods.

I asked the same thing about cutting my barrel for hunting and got many "then grow a set" responses LOL

i have a krieger #17 contour in 25 inch, it is a bit on the heavy side for me, in a couple more thousand rounds, I'll set it back to 20 or maybe 18 then it will be more than a boat anchor.

Duffy1298 said:
My question to you gents is: In your opinion, should I have him cut me a 24/26 inch barrel, or do what I cant seem to grow the nuts to do and hack it at 20.

18" is comfortable for an AR-10 308 assault rifle but for a heavy bolt rifle for shooting off bags or bipod I'd leave it at 26".
Flatter trajectory, less wind deflection, and less muzzle blast are all positives as long as you can bring it to the party.

I shoot my 17.5" Brux barreled rifle to 730 regularly and while it's not easy, it's not hard either. I'm actually contemplating on doing a 1-10 21" tight bore and having it melonited to try and get to 2600 with 208 Amax's.

Or

Run the 180 JLK's at 2700? Don't know if that's possible but that would be a great 1000 set up without having to tote around a cannon.

I was kind of on the " who cares if its heavy" kick for a bit, but then remembered that I'm a huge puss and i know id be pissed at myself doing a long hunt or something. I decided on going short just because i know it'll still heave 155s out to distance with plenty of speed. Also i know that 20 inch 308 will have more than enough accuracy/punch to level pigs and whatever else i wanna do with it. i do appreciate all the inputs in this post...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: komifornian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go with 24" so that you can get the extra velocity. Not much more weight </div></div>

too late but thank you for your .02!! I decided on going a little shorter.