• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to find barrel temperature strips?

kwelhand

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2018
Georgia
Unfortunately, my MPA barrel temperature strip fell off and looking to buy some to replace the missing one.
Does anyone know where to find some quality barrel temp strips?

thanks in advance.

I don't use them but here's a potential source:

4221e00610bfd82f3e276c33bf085240_w200.gif

How "hot" is "hot"? I mean, if you shoot PRS you may send 8-12 rounds in 120 seconds. F-class we may put all 20 rounds for record in a short time window. Heat just happens. Oh, my "friend" also had a temp strip on his barrel, but it fell off when he dropped his rifle on the carpet... :giggle:

While I don’t use them, I find it interesting people are giving you shit.

We use software in an attempt to be as precise as possible.

Labradar and magnetospeed for data

Micrometers and calipers

Arbor presses with gauges

$1200 annealers

Yet when someone might consider only doing load development in a set range of barrel temps (yet another data point that could possibly lead to consistency), it’s all of a sudden a waste of time.

Cause “waiting 5 min” or putting your hand on the barrel is exact science.

Yet when someone might consider only doing load development in a set range of barrel temps (yet another data point that could possibly lead to consistency), it’s all of a sudden a waste of time.

I have to admit I did not consider that could be an aspect of load development but not generally accepted as significant. Chamber heat soak and powder temp/velocity change are factors but can be managed independently of barrel temp.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dthomas3523
Reactions: Dthomas3523
Science says your tongue is much better about differentiating temperature. It’s like using the back of your hand on a doorknob during a fire.

If we want an exact temperature, there's only one real thing to place onto the barrel then.

I mean, its why they put a thermometer up there, right?

• Wow
Reactions: Bear1845
Mcmaster Carr is where I got mine. People can laugh at me I dont care. Like was said above with the thousands we spend on other stuff I just like knowing "about" how hot I'm running during testing etc. If for nothing other than curiosity. I find it interesting to see how much faster it cools with wind, and how much ambient effects. I'm just a dork I guess. It cost like $5 plus shipping... who cares

Reactions: mpepin07
I don't see why having more data is a bad thing.

I bought a few a while ago, can't remember where they ended up. Maybe I'll try digging them out and playing with them on my rifles.

Reactions: smoothy8500
While I don’t use them, I find it interesting people are giving you shit.

We use software in an attempt to be as precise as possible.

Labradar and magnetospeed for data

Micrometers and calipers

Arbor presses with gauges

$1200 annealers

Cause “waiting 5 min” or putting your hand on the barrel is exact science.

Because it's not controllable.

We can observe it, but it's not going to mean you don't finish a round in the 3 minute time limit because you're watching a heat strip.

Part of load development is heat intolerance. I may shoot at 0* or 95*. Heat will be there either way, but it's a negligible effect if you tweak the load and pick what works at both extremes.

I'd say don't heat soak rounds in the chamber and stop when the mirage gets bad. You're not getting it to tempering heat unless you're really dumping mag after mag.

Because it's not controllable.

We can observe it, but it's not going to mean you don't finish a round in the 3 minute time limit because you're watching a heat strip.

Part of load development is heat intolerance. I may shoot at 0* or 95*. Heat will be there either way, but it's a negligible effect if you tweak the load and pick what works at both extremes.

I'd say don't heat soak rounds in the chamber and stop when the mirage gets bad. You're not getting it to tempering heat unless you're really dumping mag after mag.

Not being controllable doesn’t mean you shouldn’t record it.

If that theory was correct, most of what we keep track of would be a waste of time.

You can’t control the wind in a match, but you can decide when to dope your rifle if you don’t want to shoot in high winds.

I can’t control the temperature of the barrel during a match. But if I choose to only do load development between X and Y temps, that will only lead to more consistent data.

It’s 2020. The more information we can record and the more stable situation we can do our testing in, can only help us figure out the many things we were not able to in the past.

Not to mention, there’s only need to test heat stability exactly when we want to test it.

The rest is the time we can use heat strips or thermometers to keep our barrels under the temps that could reduce barrel life.

Reactions: Jake the dog
Damn!! I wish I knew how to make a meme. I would show Flick from the movie "A Christmas Story" coming into the class with his tongue bandaged up.

Reactions: LawnMM
Interesting concept! I get concerned prairie dog hunting, i mean shooting. when using your calibrated hand how hot is too hot? Cant stand to hold it? Just feels ”hot”? Or what? not joking - serious question.

Interesting concept! I get concerned prairie dog hunting, i mean shooting. when using your calibrated hand how hot is too hot? Cant stand to hold it? Just feels ”hot”? Or what? not joking - serious question.

Uncomfortably hot to the touch is still cold for steel.

Sizzling like bacon instantly is too hot.

Basically, if you can't touch it give it a minute.

I use mine constantly at the range when I'm shooting steel. Run a mag, look at the strip. It shows hot, I kick back for a few minutes. It's cool, I shoot more. So it's a strip, who cares?

Not sure if someone already suggested this as I didn't read through entire thread...but why not just get a laser temp gun? You can get a decent one for pretty cheap $30ish.